Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

I'd like to request one of you early screening sons a bitches let the rest of us know if Guardians is worth seeing in 3D or not. I've yet to see a film that the 3D added to the experience in a big way.

Honestly, I hate 3D. But, the only IMAX cinemas here are in 3D, so that's the one I went for. And it was fucking incredible. I've never enjoyed a 3D experience ever until Guardians.

My recommendation would be if you want to, watch it in an IMAX theatre for the full experience, 3D or non-3D.

EDIT: Also, since I was just so happy and couldn't stop smiling the last time I was here, let's talk about the movie in spoiler tags!

- It's so fucking beautiful in IMAX 3D. The opening scenes with the water and everything looks fucking fantastic. It starts off with Chris Pratt fucking dancing, and I instantly turn to my girlfriend and say "This is going to be the most fun we have in a cinema this year". She's already apologizing for doubting me about this one.

- The Stan Lee cameo is pretty fucking perfect. Bradley Cooper voices Rocket fucking phenomenally, at times I can't believe it's the same guy who was so whiny on Alias.

- I AM GROOT. Seriously, Vin Diesel is awesome. He was a fucking awesome tree, and I never knew I could enjoy a Vin Diesel performance more than his amazing one in the Pacifier. He's definitely one that should do comedies more than his stupid fast cars movies.

- Zoe Saldana looks super fucking hot in green.

- I didn't see Nathan Fillion! I should be quite annoyed by that, but I was just taking in everything and just so happy that I don't give a damn.

- Lee Pace is perfect as Ronan. He and Josh Brolin bounced off each other perfectly, too.

- Chris Pratt steals the fucking show. I so hope that now that Parks is in its last season, Pratt becomes a fucking star. He absolutely deserves it.

- My girlfriend got super teary-eyed during "We are Groot." I was so taken in and I was so sad when I thought they were going to let Groot die.

- The ending with the letter was incredibly touching, and AWESOME MIX VOL. 2 just got me right back into the fun. This movie is just amazing in the way it can do that. It can go straight from sad to super incredibly funny. Like how Quill decides to start dancing in front of Ronan, that was fucking perfect, and only Chris Pratt could do that!

Post-credits spoilers

- Groot dancing to a Jackson Five song. YES YES YES ALL THE YESSES.

- Cosmo! I laughed like mad when I saw him. Not as much as when

- HOWARD THE FUCKING DUCK GUYS. HOWARD THE DUCK HOWARD THE DUCK HOWARD THE DUCK. Amazing.

I can't find one thing wrong with this movie, except it had to end. I can't wait for the sequel, which I'm guessing is going to be about J'son? I can't wait for that!

Edited by Benkid
  • Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was posted, but here it is in hi-res/HD whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCrM7gTnMos

Apparently this is roughly 2 minutes of a about 8 minute test reel they did. God dammit I want to see the whole 8 minutes now!

Oh my god, that was great. That was so great. I have been hyped for this movie from the moment they announced they were doing it and James Gunn was attached and it did not let me down. I'm still very, very worried that Ant-Man will suck, but even if it totally sucks it won't level the karmic playing field Marvel's working with because of this.

Also, Ronan is what Malekith should have been in Thor 2. That is how you do a dour, serious, straightforward villain in a wacky fun superhero movie.

• Like 3

Saw Guardians last night. Absolutely amazing stuff, and probably the best MCU film we will get while they stick to the current formula and story structure. Chris Pratt was a ballsy choice for the lead that has paid off, Bautista's a revelation, and Vin Diesel does brilliantly despite his limited vocabulary (business as usual then, ha ha ha).

I think I prefer it to The Avengers - going by my immediate reaction - as it judges the comedy just right, whereas Avengers was bogged down in it and rendered less dramatic as a result. I became teary-eyed in laughter AND emotion, which is rare for any film to achieve one, never mind both.

Only downside that stops this from being perfect: I thought Ronan was a flimsy villain in the end, and continues MCU phase 2's problem in the bad guys coming nowhere close to matching the heroes in terms of strength or charisma. Ronan could have been replaced by anybody and no one would bat an eyelid.

I also wonder if the sales of Walkman will sky rocket now...

• Like 1

I'll stick up for Ronan a little, in that I agree that there's really nothing distinct about him as a character (hence the Malekith comparison in my previous post) but the movie does a good enough job setting him up as genuinely dangerous that it didn't really matter to me.

That being said, there's definitely a gigantic step down in spark from the Marvel villains post-Avengers. I enjoyed Aldritch Killian way more than I think a lot of people did but Pierce was only really conceptually good, and Ronan and Malekith are straight-up the same guy, it's just that one works way better than the other.

I disagree. While Loki is probably the best villain the MCU has had, Alexander Pierce was absolutely phenomenal in Winter Soldier, and Bucky himself was pretty fucking bad ass. His fight scenes with Cap was just mindblowingly awesome, almost on The Raid's level of awesomeness, and the best part for me was that their fights told an amazing story, you don't see that often in movies. Killian was a really good villain too.

To be fair, phase 1 only had 2 good villains IMO, in Loki and Red Skull. Phase 2 has been much better. Ronan wasn't as awesome as Killian, Winter Soldier or Pierce, but a 100% better than Malekith. Fuck Malekith.

Oh, I'm not really counting the Winter Soldier because I'm talking in terms of the main villain in each movie. With Pierce I liked the idea but then I think Obadiah Stane was a much better iteration of the same basic villain arc, just with different core motivations (twisted ideology vs. straight-up greed).

I didn't have a problem with Ronan. The equivalent to Winter Soldier in terms of "secondary villains" I guess was Nebula, who was a bit flat, but...

Presumably she's going to be more significant in the sequel? I say, presuming she didn't fly off never to return.

:shifty:

Yeah, I really dug the film. It didn't touch Avengers for me, but it's probably my favourite Marvel film other than Avengers. Chris Pratt is a fantastic lead and he deserves all the plaudits he's likely to get.

Groot excessively dealing with like 20 henchman, to then only turn around and smile, was wonderful. Groot in geneal was brilliant. Crazy that I could care so much about a guy who can only say 4 words.

Guardians is on the cards tonight. Planning for one of the 2D showings available, but I'll take any I can get.

Presumably there's an after-credits sequence?

Yup.

Is it the usual main clip after the initial credits and a smaller one after the whole credits package like Cap 2, Thor 2 etc has had?

Yup.

Is it the usual main clip after the initial credits and a smaller one after the whole credits package like Cap 2, Thor 2 etc has had?

Sort of. Behind the cut I'm not going to say what the scenes are but just a general thing on their nature;

Neither of the scenes are hooks for future Marvel movies at all. No hook for Avengers 2 (Winter Soldier did that), no Captain Marvel, no Doctor Strange, no Ant-Man. They're just fun bits. The one at the end of all of the credits is fantastic.

Also, I'm totally going to post something more in-depth tomorrow, because I'm tired, and still hyped from that movie, but, yeah, right now it's easily my favorite 'superhero' movie of all-time. It would take something like, I dunno, a Guy Gardner GL movie (or, yeah, Deadpool) to knock it out. What's the wait for the sequel? Three years? Far too long.

• Like 1