Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

I haven't watched an X-Men movie since the first came out on tape. Think I'm gonna use those as my movie night movies for the next little bit. Is Cap 2 or ASM 2 out on DVD yet? Still wanna see those more than anything.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://io9.com/marvel-screened-guardians-of-the-galaxy-for-the-co-crea-1615584469

Marvel arranged a private screening of Guardians for the Rocket co-creator Bill Mantlo, who is living in an assisted living facility after a hit-an-run accident in 1992. His brother posted the following on Facebook

*****WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAY FOR BILL MANTLO*****! Marvel hooked Bill up with a PRIVATE VIEWING of "Guardians Of The Galaxy", and my wife Liz and my beloved cousin Jean assisted Bill throughout, enabling him to sit back, relax and relish in the AWESOMENESS of what is going to be, in my humble opinion, Marvel's GREATEST AND MOST SUCCESSFUL FILM EVER! Bill thoroughly enjoyed it, giving it his HIGHEST COMPLIMENT (the BIG "THUMB'S UP!"), and when the credits rolled, his face was locked into the HUGEST SMILE I HAVE EVER SEEN HIM WEAR (along with one or two tears of joy)! This was the GREATEST DAY OF THE LAST 22 YEARS for me, our family, and most importantly, BILL MANTLO!
  • Like 9

There was a story a little while back right after Cap 2 came out about a guy(who I think was a vet, don't quote me on that though) who's daughter was trying to get Marvel to arrange for him to see Cap 2 before he passed and a bunch of The Avengers cast were Tweeting about it trying to get it going. Any word on if Marvel made that happen for him?

For me in terms of comic book films nothing still comes close to blowing me away as much as The Dark Knight and Captain America 2 did. My top five would be The Dark Knight, Cap 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman Begins, Thor.

I know I was late to that discussion but I just wanted to be a part of it. I feel like we need to get another list going :P

Wow, the comics industry was nice to one of its creators for once. That's really nice to hear.

As for Ronan;

He was just too evil for evil's sake. It was a decent enough performance, and I agree that the film didn't need a particularly complex villain, but it's not like he's a one-off. He felt almost interchangeable with Malekith from Thor 2 in that he was a very generic "want to destroy everything" melodramatic bad guy tacked on to a story that wasn't really about him, and whose motivation was entirely backstory that we've not seen.

He wasn't a villain that you wanted to see get punched in the face, because you didn't feel like he'd actually directly done anything to fuck over the Guardians Of The Galaxy. So you wanted the heroes to succeed because you like them, you didn't want to see the villain get beaten because he deserved it.

• Like 2

It wasn't fantastic or near the level of the Dark Knight, but it was still a really fun summer blockbuster with some really good stuff. It was so much better on my second viewing earlier this year. Have you watched it again, Rider?

• Like 1

Yes. And I found I hated it more. Originally I gave it like a 7/10 but every time I think about it, I get to hate it more and more. Im down to a 4/10.

See, I think the real reason I hate it has to be that after the dark knight its a real let down. It actually harms the second movie by adding a third part. (much like spiderman 3 does.)

Look, I get that it would be hard to live up to the Dark Knight. It was fantastic. But how could you sit there with a script that bad, with that many plot holes and say "yeah good enough." And thats what it is. "yeah good enough."

That being said, Banes fighting the Batman in that first fight was pretty fucking hardcore. I could watch that a bunch of times and not get tired of it.

But christ, that bridge scene alone makes me want to punch people involved with it. DC has ONE hero frachise carrying it in the total domination of Marvel films, and they threw it away.

Is it really a 4/10? no. It is like a 5.5. But the sheer ruination of what they did when they had the chance to compete, its horrid.

Yeah, TDKR is perfectly serviceable film. Just because it didn't live up to TDK doesn't mean it's horrible. Batman and Robin was horrible. Rises was good.

• Like 2

Sadly, I dont think Batman and Robin was the worst of that franchise. (the pre nolan one) That would be Batman Forever. To me personally. A;though that credit card scene is the height of "why are you even doing this you sons of bitches."

Although it did make me have one life goal. To introduce Gotham to the Incandescent lightbulb. the mayors office should NOT BE IN NEON. Neither should your medicine.

Best batman movie? Had Adam West.

• Like 1

TDKR wasn't as great as TDK by a good stretch, but I think it'd have been a lot better received if it wasn't following arguably the Citizen Kane of comic book films. It's pretty fun, I can watch it and enjoy the majority of it. If you can get over some of the plot holes it's good enough.

I really couldn't care less about HOW DID BATMAN GET TO GOTHAM IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE THE RIVER IS RUINED.

The thing that ruins it for me is everything Talia Al Ghul related. From her reveal to her being Bane's master and it leading to Banes awful death.

The Talia (and to a lesser extent, the John Blake/Robin stuff) stuff is a lot like Abrams/Kahn in the latest Star Trek. Everybody keeping tabs on the casting announcements pretty much gleaned that from the get go but WB was so adamant that it was this generic character they created and then when the twist comes out, my reaction was literally "ugh, really?". The fact that they completely neutered Bane shortly thereafter was just the icing on the cake.

That said, I think TDKR is still pretty good. It's also hard for me to hate on it too much because I know Nolan had a completely different idea before Ledger died.

Edited by livid
  • Like 1

Yes, that was the worst fucking part. Also because Talia is like the hottest character in comic lore, and Marion Cottillard just isn't that pretty :P

Also, you take that back, Rider, Batman Forever was awesome! Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey made that film absolutely golden. Jim Carrey's "It keeps me jogging at night!" has me howling with laughter every time.

TDKR Has gotten better to me on rewatching, mainly because my expectations were lower. It was a disappointing finale for sure, but it was still a decent movie, just nowhere on the level of the first two. Bane was awesome. Catwoman was okay. Talia and her acting, especially in that very infamous scene, left a lot to be desired. I still wish the ending wasn't such a copout,

Yeah, they worked so hard to obscure that it was Talia, and then it was like the the single least interesting version of Talia ever.

God, just the worst. Such a great character stripped down to her bare fucking minimum. It doesn't help that 90% of her career in comics has actually been against R'as rather than for him.

But then these sort of things happen when you keep letting Goyer be in charge of writing things.