Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linky

I haven't watched the show yet, I've got it bookmarked though. Saving it for my birthday on Monday. Really excited for it. I'll probably end up watching it with the last couple episodes of this past season of Arrow in some sort of block.

Am i the only one who felt Winter Soldier was a bit, i dunno, boring?

It just didn't have the threat that warranted a sequel for me. It was a good film but it didn't feel as big as say First Avenger or even Iron Man did.

The threat was nearly all of SHIELD. That's a way bigger threat to... just, everyone, than Iron Man's villain.

It just didn't have the threat that warranted a sequel for me. It was a good film but it didn't feel as big as say First Avenger or even Iron Man did.

:angry:

Also, speaking of, wanted to ask you guys if what I'm thinking is right, but it's almost like Stark and Cap have kind of started on the path for what could be their Civil War-like arcs? Tony has let go of everything that he is as a superhero, and has often been working with the government, while Cap now mistrusts the government, after being screwed over by them, and now has to work from the shadows. Am I just reading too much into it, or does it seem kind of similar?

• Like 1

I mean, the end result of Winter Soldier was the near-total destruction of SHIELD. The lasting ramifications of what Alexander Pierce and Hydra did was more significant than the actions of any other Marvel villain save, like, Loki.

• Like 4

:angry:

Also, speaking of, wanted to ask you guys if what I'm thinking is right, but it's almost like Stark and Cap have kind of started on the path for what could be their Civil War-like arcs? Tony has let go of everything that he is as a superhero, and has often been working with the government, while Cap now mistrusts the government, after being screwed over by them, and now has to work from the shadows. Am I just reading too much into it, or does it seem kind of similar?

It may get played up in the future as internal conflict within the group but it will never turn into the full scale Civil War event. There aren't nearly a wide enough range of MCU characters to fill the ranks of either side, and the majority of MCU superheros have their identity well known so there's no need for a superhero registration act. Best case scenario is difffering ideals and mistrusts will just add more fuel to the team-up cliche of good guy fights with fellow good guy until they need to team up to ward off evil

• Like 1

Gotham is so weird and tonally inconsistent. It started out feeling like it's Nolan-esque but now it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the Tim Burton rabbit hole. You have some of the cast playing everything straight and then the rest hamming it way the fuck up.

I mean, the end result of Winter Soldier was the near-total destruction of SHIELD. The lasting ramifications of what Alexander Pierce and Hydra did was more significant than the actions of any other Marvel villain save, like, Loki.

Actually, instead of Loki, you could instead say Thor. Loki never really had a direct hand in the first Thor Movie, but Thor's presence changed how Shield operated in every single way from that point forward, upping schedules of plans long dormant.

GoGo was talking about villains, though. And really, Loki helped create the Avengers, while also contributing to revealing that a) aliens are real, and b) they just tried to kill everybody. The moment of aliens being revealed as existing is a massive one, as that would have a huge ripple effect on society if it ever happened.

And yes, you could argue that started when Thor showed up, but from the way it's shown in the movies I believe SHIELD would have covered that up mostly.

You seem to think Shield saw the coming of Thor as anything but an attack. Even when he first showed back up, it's not like he did so on friendly terms. It's not like he had a giant "don't worry I am a hero" sign on him.

I can't think of anything he really DID in the first movie that was heroic, as far as the people of that town were concerned.

But you are misremembering if you think Loki helped form the avengers. What with him never showing his face at all to them. They had no real idea he existed. Hell, the main female protagonist doesn't even meet the guy until AFTER the avengers.

With the exception of a small conversation between thor and loki, loki doesn't really set foot on Earth in the first Thor movie.

No, I would say it is actually the threat not of Thor, but the idea there are people like him that sets Shield to alter their plans. In that sense, Thor is by far the bigger game changer. Loki? They had an avengers initiative ready FOR him, it's not like they had to suddenly change what they had planned.

Loki did help form the Avengers, I think. Cap, Iron Man and Thor were gathered while taking Loki to SHIELD, IIRC. And when the whole team got together, it wasn't really a team, just a bunch of individuals, until Coulson's death, at the hands of Loki.

Also, in Thor's movie, didn't Thor save a bunch of people (or try to, at least) before he got his powers back? And after he got them back, he did save the town the Destroyer armor was... well, destroying. I'd say that was pretty heroic, wasn't it? Yes, it could be argued that if it wasn't for him just being there, the town wouldn't be in danger in the first place, but again, that was Loki's doing, not his.