Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought that there was something wrong with the pacing of the movie. I kept on feeling that I was missing certain scenes or something.

Spoilers during the movie, pre-credits:

Loki as Captain America was fucking awesome. Seriously, I know it's not really a hidden gem or anything, but it was definitely my favourite part of the movie. Skarsgard was absolutely gold as the crazy scientist as well. And ooh, Loki's taken over the Asgardian throne, really interested to see where this goes, plus he looked bad ass at the end on the throne.

So yeah, that's all that I can really take away from the film. The comic relief guy, a funny moment and the ending. Really did not care all that much about the Dark Elves after all.

Mid-credits:

I whooped in the cinema when they revealed it was The Collector. Man, Guardians Of The Galaxy is going to be fucking awesome.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other random bits and pieces that were amusing:

- Thor hanging up his hammer on a coat peg.

- Loki saying "ta-daah" after getting them through the portal.

- Loki casually reading a book while the prison break rages on around him.

- Basically just Loki being Loki.

I had wondered if my appreciation of the film had been dulled by being semi-conscious through much of the second half, but my assessment seems to match what you guys are saying. It's certainly lurking around the Iron Man 2 level of "sure it's fine and enjoyable but...I dunno, eh?" films.

And to reiterate the second of Tkz's spoiler boxes:

MARK SO FUCKING HARD FOR THE INFINITY GEMS

Although if the Tesseract is one and this Ether stuff is the other, I wonder if they're going to be the classic Soul/Time/Space/Mind/Reality/Power gems or if they're going to just be Six Miscellaneous Things of Awesomeness.

If the former...colour alone would suggest the Tesseract was the Mind Gem and the Ether was the Power Gem, which could kind of loosely fit I guess. Part of me is slightly irked that the Cosmic Cube has sort of become merged with this thing, but I suppose from their sense of narrative there's no harm in cutting down the number of SUPER POWER MACGUFFIN TRINKETS a little. :shifty:

Yeah, I'm kind of okay with it. I do kind of wish that the Tesseract wasn't, because I was kind of hoping for a repeat of the end of Thanos Imperative/Infinity Gauntlet where they use the Cosmic Cube against him, but I can deal with it. At the end of the day, the Infinity Gems make more sense as being items of power than just gems that're super powerful. Also makes it a little easier to have them featured in the following films, assuming this is all build to Avengers 3.

There's an interview with Fiege that shoots down the idea that the colors of the items relate to the gems, though.

And yes, the Chris Evans cameo was fucking wonderful. Holy shit, that was hilarious. I was kind of bummed out because I figured the end scene would feature SHIELD or Hulk or someone showing up and taking care off the big frost beast running around, but eh, I guess not. At least this time you can excuse the lack of Shield interaction considering everything bad on earth kind of took place over the course of like, half an hour.

And yeah, it's safe to say that Loki is pretty much what holds it all together. And he's not featured for a lot of the film... so, yeah, that didn't help.

There's not enough appreciation for Frigga in this thread. Fuck Odin, should've given her the throne. And replaced Jane Foster with Sif, because Sif is awesome and Jaimie Alexander deserved more than 30 seconds of screen time. In fact, with Jane...

I was kind of hoping they'd kill her off. I just feel like there's nowhere more you can go with her character without forcing her into the story. They managed to find a way around it this time, but what about next time when they surely can't have her possessed or whatever again. I mean, I don't want her put in the fridge or anything, I just kind of feel like there's not much more Jane Foster adds to the story. But as I've said, I've always been more of a fan of Sif/Thor anyway... so I'm not the biggest Jane fan anyway.

Will there be a Thor 3 after Avengers 2? If so, what Tkz said in his last spoiler will probably happen.

Well, what we can gather thus far is that we're looking at next year being the start of a shake up to the formula.

We get another sequel, then the start of an entirely new franchise. Then a team up and another new franchise in 2015. And everything we've heard thus far seems to point towards Dr. Strange being one of the 2016 films. If we assume that Avengers 3 will be a 2018 release, I think we'll probably see another Guardians film assuming it does well and at least one more new franchise. So honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we only get a sequel to either Cap 2 or Thor 2 rather than both. Depends how well the new franchises do and if they've got anything else they want to get out.

I'm kind of hoping we see a Ms. Marvel film sometime before Avengers 3. Buuuut I get the feeling Captain Marvel would have to be introduced first... and that's most likely to happen in Avengers 3, if not Guardians 2. Which is a shame. It'd be nice to see Marvel deliver another blow to DC by putting their "A woman lead won't sell" argument to shame with a hero far less well known than fucking Wonder Woman.

tl;dr: we will... but there's a chance it won't be for a good few more years.

Personally I would happy if they skimmed over the original Captain Marvel (have her get her powers from encountering the Kree, but not necessarily use Mar-Vell by name...because that could just confuse people further) and just brand her as Captain Marvel (getting the name from...somewhere) when she gets her powers.

So long as the Kree come into, say, Guardians 2 somewhere then that's all you should need to launch straight into her debut film.

A lot of rumors going around the Jaimie Alexander has been cast as Wonder Woman. God, I hope so. Will suck to see Lady Sif recast, but she'd be fantastic and she's not getting the screen time she deserves in Thor.

Oh yeah, this is one of two stories (the other will in the General Movie thread shortly!) I saw earlier that I forgot to post here.

She'd be great though. I find it kind of strange though because it reeks of typical fan casting "She looks like that character, she should be cast!". Not that that's bad or anything, just not something I quite expect with comic book adaptations these days.

Oh yeah, this is one of two stories (the other will in the General Movie thread shortly!) I saw earlier that I forgot to post here.

She'd be great though. I find it kind of strange though because it reeks of typical fan casting "She looks like that character, she should be cast!". Not that that's bad or anything, just not something I quite expect with comic book adaptations these days.

Well, I mean, she's got a track record of doing well as a badass, ancient myth based character. Not a lot of actress that can say that!

To be fair, I've often thought about the Wonder Woman casting and just can never wrap my head about someone that really looks the part. She's got to look like she can handle herself but still be fairly gorgeous... and a capable actress on top of that. (Look at that, it's the formula for Thor and that worked out pretty well!) Not a ton of women in Hollywood lately have that "I could kick your ass" appeal. It's part of why I liked the idea of Gina Carano, though having seen Haywire, I'm not sure she's got anywhere near the acting ability. (though I kind of enjoyed the film)

It's a step up from Eliza "I've proved countless time since Buffy that I'm not leading role material" Dushku. That's always been the go to name over the net for the past few years.

Holy cow, I read this page before the previous one and thought hey, Jamie Alexander would make a great Wonder Woman. Then I go to the previous page and see that she's being rumoured to cast. She'd be great, IMO.

Do we know anyone else they're thinking of casting? I always thought Lynn Collins or Olivia Wilde could do pretty well in that role, too.

People really think Eliza Dusku should play Wonder Woman? I think Dusku would be bad, but that's probably because I think Wonder Woman is a great character and Dusku doesn't give off any sort of vibe of being anything like her.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by Thor 2. Just got back from seeing it.

The villain was a bit crap, and I didn't really care for the central plot - "villain wants to control magic space macguffin, which IF IT FALLS INTO THE WRONG HANDS will threaten the universe" is pretty much exactly the same as what we got last time - but there were some really fun bits, and some genuinely funny gags, and - aside from the main villain - all the characters were pretty well written, and enjoyable to watch. It's pretty much made by the way Thor and Loki play off each other.

According to Eccleston, they filmed a bunch more stuff with Malekith that didn't make the final cut for whatever reason. Haven't seen the movie yet and can't until this Friday, but I was a little disappointed by that.