Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't place bets on which character is taking the Ant-Man title, especially since when it was first announced, they made a point of saying that it wouldn't be Pym. But the recent backlash regarding Ultron having nothing to do with Hank Pym may have swayed their minds in favor.

Until Kevin Feige or Edgar Wright officially says something about the character, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Fact is, Ant-Man has always had a comedic side to the character, but both Levitt and Rudd are more than capable of pulling off the layers that Hank Pym possesses. I'm seeing lots of people voting for JGL on forums because of his success recently in more serious roles, and because Rudd is most well known for his stoner comedies... but these people are judging Paul Rudd based on a type of film that he enjoys making. He's proven plenty of times that he is a very talented actor.

I personally would choose Rudd, if for no other reason than that there are a dozen other characters yet to debut in the MCU that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be a good fit for.

Yeah, I much prefer Rudd. More likey, too. Marvel has a track record of going for the smaller name with less on his plate when it comes to this stuff. JGL is still rising further and further up the ranks, there's bound to be more money and time constraints that wouldn't be an issue with Rudd.

That would be a really bizarre choice for Doc Strange, unless they were going with like.. a very young version or something.

He was one of the names but I'm sure it's more of a "we should really find something for him" and have been taking stabs at it for awhile. Because he was also rumored to lead Guardians of the Galaxy before he signed on to do Sin City 2.

And they were/are targetting younger actors for Strange so that they can do more movies later on.

The basic summary I recall was that it would feature an older Hank Pym teaching a new Ant Man, with flashbacks to the 60's with Pym as Ant Man.

It sounded pants, I'd rather they just use Hank Pym. Though, I'm curious as to who the villain would be seeing as they're kind of already borrowing his biggest enemy for another little film called The Avengers.

• Like 1

Perhaps it's just me and my lack of comic book reading but I couldn't care less as long as the movie is entertaining and Marvel has already proven that they can pull that off. So whatever or however they want to do it is fine by me.

Well yeah, ultimately that's the main thing. But as a fan of the comics, I'd like to see the character on the big screen. Ant Man as a character is a lot more than just a guy that can shrink. Hank Pym is probably the best part of that character, because he's so interesting.

And one time he beat up his wife but we try not to mention that.

Hank Pym is such a complex and layered character, that to not do it properly would be a massive injustice.

He's a superhero, but he's also a regular guy with regular problems, addiction and mental instability. His rocky relationship with his wife, The Wasp, provided some of the more intriguing subplots in Avengers comics for a long time.

I think if they skip over him, they're missing the boat completely. But if they make an Ant-Man movie about Hank Pym, they're going to have a tough challenge not to just make it an outright action-comedy. The biggest group of movie-goers might be a little turned off by the idea of a superhero who yells at and has hit his wife, but I think that it's a risk worth taking, especially since they've already established all of these other properties.

And hey, if the movie doesn't do as well as they hoped, just move him to the smaller screen.