Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been pretty much confirmed it all takes place in the same universe, but there's no planned crossover. Yet.

It's funny, because that's kind of the one crossover no one really cares about. At least there'd be some novelty to seeing Spider-Man and Wolverine team up. Reed Richards is really the only interesting person to see in crossovers... and that only really works with guys like Banner and Stark. :P

Also the re-imagining of the FF origin story that supposedly leaked is kind of meh.

Nah, Thing and Torch are both great fun in crossovers. But just... X-Men and Fantastic Four? That is just so blatantly "it's all we've got so fuck it let's do a crossover!!!"

Nah, Thing and Torch are both great fun in crossovers. But just... X-Men and Fantastic Four? That is just so blatantly "it's all we've got so fuck it let's do a crossover!!!"

I mean, I guess, but with the X-Men? Thing and Wolverine could be fun, but I'm not really dying to see any of the film cast alongside the Fantastic Four.

Wouldn't Fantastic Four really have to be set in the past, if that was the case? Seeing as we're apparently getting the swan song from the modern day X-Men in Days of Future Past, with Apocalypse being based around the First Class heroes?

Plus Marvel has demonstrated that they're willing to tweak comic book canon to fit the cinematic universe anyways.

yeah, sadly ...

If you can't enjoy the adaptions of the MCU, then you might as well give up on these films. There's literally never going to be anything closer to the original canon than the MCU.

Yeah. Movies should tweak comic book canon, because comic book canon is fucking insane. Have you ever tried reading the Wikipedia entry for a Marvel character you're not overly familiar with? It's just a dense wall of text saying that they're some other superhero's son, someone's dad, they died about six times, for a while they were someone else, they were evil for a bit, but in this universe they weren't, and then they got married, but maybe they didn't. Now imagine that you're a casual moviegoer who's never read a comic book before, trying to make sense of all that to figure out what a Guardians Of The Galaxy is - you may as well be trying to decipher the fucking Voynich Manuscript.

When adapting from one medium to another, it's necessary to make changes. It's more important to make an entertaining movie that sticks to the spirit of the original product than to try and include every tiny little detail. Because most of the tiny little details in comic books are a bit silly, and would make the films overly complicated and impenetrable.

Or, to put it more simply, you'd get Watchmen, instead of The Avengers.

All of the origin films are about as close as you can get to canon whilst still making a modern interpretation as well. I think the only time I've been less than thrilled with character tweaking was The Mandarin, which at the time I really enjoyed as a twist, but I get the feeling it'll end up as another Talia Al' Ghul situation - the twist ends up taking away from the overall experience. And even that they're apparently going to be messing with to make The Mandarin closer to his original appearance.

I'm having a hard time coming up with any major canon tweaking past that, honestly. I guess maybe if you're a really big fan of Norman Osborne as Iron Patriot? Or Dum Dum Dugan not being around in the modern era?

http://herotaku.com/blog/1/entry-10519-dwayne-johnson-confirms-lobo-casting-rumors/

So, The Rock might actually be Lobo.

I mean, cool I guess? Lobo just doesn't seem like he'd fit in the Universe DC has created. I was kind of hoping Rocky might be John Stewart, but apparently rumors are floating around that role might go to Denzel Washington.

http://herotaku.com/blog/1/entry-10519-dwayne-johnson-confirms-lobo-casting-rumors/

I mean, cool I guess? Lobo just doesn't seem like he'd fit in the Universe DC has created. I was kind of hoping Rocky might be John Stewart, but apparently rumors are floating around that role might go to Denzel Washington.

Wow, that's some serious bullshit. That tweet is from a year and a half ago. The project ended up dying out a couple months later.

He did say he met with DC the other day but didn't say what it was about. It could still be about Lobo but that story is just pure bullshit right now.

That said, I'm not terribly familiar with the comics/character but wouldn't Lobo fit into the DC Dark universe that GDT has been working on?

Wow, that's some serious bullshit. That tweet is from a year and a half ago. The project ended up dying out a couple months later.

He did say he met with DC the other day but didn't say what it was about. It could still be about Lobo but that story is just pure bullshit right now.

That said, I'm not terribly familiar with the comics/character but wouldn't Lobo fit into the DC Dark universe that GDT has been working on?

Eh, Justice League Dark is like DC doing Lovecraft versus Supernatural. Lobo is like a 90's Arnie film with ten times more violence and set in space.

Apparently rumour is that he actually WILL be John Stewart, which would be awesome. The Rock is just the guy we need to help forget about that awful Green Lantern film.

Yeah, I heard the Denzel rumors several days ago. I couldn't call bullshit fast enough. Everyone wants Idris Elba to play John Stewart, and that's cool, but The Rock would be cool too.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Douglas is Hank Pym. Meh. I'm kind of bummed out, I have almost no interest in Scott Lang as Ant Man... I'm way more interested in Hank Pym being a fixture of the Marvel Universe. And I doubt that'll happen now. Pretty much confirms that Ant-Man will have nothing to do with The Avengers 2, probably not even Avengers 3.

Well, the news is that Michael Douglas has been cast as Hank Pym, officially. So Scott Lang will be Ant-Man in the film, from the sounds of it. I'm just disappointed that a character I like that is a way more interesting character than Scott Lang isn't going to be the protagonist of Ant-Man.

The reason I say he probably won't feature in Avengers is because Ant-Man really has no place on that roster - Hank Pym does. He's a genius, on the level of Stark and Banner. Lang is just a guy that steals some tech. Then uses that tech to steal some more stuff.