Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

The villains sucked, and for the middle portion of the movie we went through a romantic comedy which was poorly done.

Spoilers

Saying the villain's sucked is a pretty vague criticism, but I disagree even if I'm in the minority. I actually dug Foxx as Electro, and DeHaan was a great Harry Osbourne. Nails the whole troubled spoiled brat role perfectly, much better than Franco. Goblin's screen time was short but will be expanded in the third film, as with Giamatti, who was perfectly serviceable. I wouldn't even count him so much as villain in the one, at least not a major one. The romantic aspect of Peter Parker's life is a pretty critical aspect of every Spider-Man story, and I don't think it was poorly done at all. In fact, Stone and Garfield have really good chemistry on screen. I mean if that romantic arc was poorly done, then MJ and Peter's in the original series must have been like torture to you .Plus, not many romantic comedies end with the female lead falling to her death, yanno.

Yes, Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire were horrible on-screen together, and this is from someone who's totally in love with Dunst (Bring It On, baby!). I'm pretty sure I've let my feelings on the first Spidey franchise out here before. That being said, I find Garfield and Emma Stone to have zero chemistry together as well, the scene in the park felt totally insincere and the scene in the closet almost put me to sleep. I actually like Garfield a lot better when he's using Spidey powers as Peter Parker, like the scene in the bedroom where he has to take the costume off or when he's distracting the guards so Gwen can get to the elevator.

Jamie Foxx was terrible, IMO. I actually couldn't believe it was him at first. I know he was having fun with the role, but he came off as the lamest villain of all time, and he gave Spidey no chance to feel in danger. Not to mention the silliness of him spending the entire time underwater coming up with a cool villain name. DeHaan became really, really good after he got told by Spider-Man that he wasn't getting his blood, we finally got to see some actual personality instead of broody rich kid who's going to die. At least he didn't get to say "I AM GREEN GOBLIN!" like his other villain friends. Also, it made me really feel like he's pretty dumb if he's still pissed at Spidey, despite already trying spider venom and it not working. I mean, Harry, come on, Spider-Man was right, his blood wouldn't have worked on you! Why you so mad, bro?

Don't get me started on Rhino. I positively hate that they turned my second favorite Spidey baddie into a clown. Not to mention his suit looks like a fucking dope, and "I AM RHINO!" had half the cinema laughing.

The villains sucked, and for the middle portion of the movie we went through a romantic comedy which was poorly done.

Spoilers

Saying the villain's sucked is a pretty vague criticism, but I disagree even if I'm in the minority. I actually dug Foxx as Electro, and DeHaan was a great Harry Osbourne. Nails the whole troubled spoiled brat role perfectly, much better than Franco. Goblin's screen time was short but will be expanded in the third film, as with Giamatti, who was perfectly serviceable. I wouldn't even count him so much as villain in the one, at least not a major one. The romantic aspect of Peter Parker's life is a pretty critical aspect of every Spider-Man story, and I don't think it was poorly done at all. In fact, Stone and Garfield have really good chemistry on screen. I mean if that romantic arc was poorly done, then MJ and Peter's in the original series must have been like torture to you .Plus, not many romantic comedies end with the female lead falling to her death, yanno.

Yes, Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire were horrible on-screen together, and this is from someone who's totally in love with Dunst (Bring It On, baby!). I'm pretty sure I've let my feelings on the first Spidey franchise out here before. That being said, I find Garfield and Emma Stone to have zero chemistry together as well, the scene in the park felt totally insincere and the scene in the closet almost put me to sleep. I actually like Garfield a lot better when he's using Spidey powers as Peter Parker, like the scene in the bedroom where he has to take the costume off or when he's distracting the guards so Gwen can get to the elevator.

Jamie Foxx was terrible, IMO. I actually couldn't believe it was him at first. I know he was having fun with the role, but he came off as the lamest villain of all time, and he gave Spidey no chance to feel in danger. Not to mention the silliness of him spending the entire time underwater coming up with a cool villain name. DeHaan became really, really good after he got told by Spider-Man that he wasn't getting his blood, we finally got to see some actual personality instead of broody rich kid who's going to die. At least he didn't get to say "I AM GREEN GOBLIN!" like his other villain friends. Also, it made me really feel like he's pretty dumb if he's still pissed at Spidey, despite already trying spider venom and it not working. I mean, Harry, come on, Spider-Man was right, his blood wouldn't have worked on you! Why you so mad, bro?

Don't get me started on Rhino. I positively hate that they turned my second favorite Spidey baddie into a clown. Not to mention his suit looks like a fucking dope, and "I AM RHINO!" had half the cinema laughing.

It's weird you don't see the Garfield/Stone chemistry. They're even dating in real life man! Of course, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez were dating as well and still terrible on-screen so I'll let that pass. I'm fine with the Rhino suit. What's the alternative? A regular dude running around in a rhino costume? Now that would be funny.

:P. As for the cheesy lines, they really didn't bother me. I kind of liked them, actually. It all felt in line with the goofy comic vibe that I really enjoyed from the movie. The movie had the ability to be serious when it needed to be, but not every line has to be Oscar-worthy super-cereal stuff. Embrace the cheese, man.

I guess I should. I mean, I do want that awesomesauce Rhino costume. I mean, come on!

Rhino-Amazing-Spider-Man-Video-Game.jpg

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoilers

It's not about the blood not working anymore. Harry is mad because he realises Peter is Spidey and is pissed that he wouldn't save him, or at least that's what I thought

Spoilers

It's not about the blood not working anymore. Harry is mad because he realises Peter is Spidey and is pissed that he wouldn't save him, or at least that's what I thought

Didn't Harry only realise Peter was Spider-Man when he saw how concerned he was with Gwen, though? I'm thinking Harry's problem with Spidey was more along the lines of "you didn't help me, now look what happened to me" or something like that. Typical rich spoiled brat entitlement, you know? That's my take on it, at least.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat

I would feel so much better about it if it was on FX and not Fox. They should have just done Gotham Central.

• Like 1

Saw spiderman, I really enjoyed it. The first time I felt spiderman was really on screen. His signature poses while diving and jumping, and a crowd of fans that legitimately seemed to appreciate his efforts.

This was a well done movie with a few minor quirks. I do agree on the soundtrack. A bit odd.

The exasperating thing about Amazing Spider-Man 2 is that it gets so much right about what makes Spider-Man work but at the same time so many of the choices they made felt dated, like it would have been one of the best superhero movies of the '90s but standards have gone up since then. Jamie Foxx as Electro was okay, Jamie Foxx as Max Dillon was one of the most distracting, tonally off things I've seen in a superhero movie in forever and that includes Superman killing a guy and the general anticlimax that was Talia al Ghul.

Also it had to happen because it's Gwen Stacy, but removing Emma Stone really, really kills my enthusiasm for the franchise going forward. The one thing that kept me in it even when other things went wrong was Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone's chemistry together. I don't really need or want a Mary Jane.

The exasperating thing about Amazing Spider-Man 2 is that it gets so much right about what makes Spider-Man work but at the same time so many of the choices they made felt dated, like it would have been one of the best superhero movies of the '90s but standards have gone up since then. Jamie Foxx as Electro was okay, Jamie Foxx as Max Dillon was one of the most distracting, tonally off things I've seen in a superhero movie in forever and that includes Superman killing a guy and the general anticlimax that was Talia al Ghul.

Also it had to happen because it's Gwen Stacy, but removing Emma Stone really, really kills my enthusiasm for the franchise going forward. The one thing that kept me in it even when other things went wrong was Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone's chemistry together. I don't really need or want a Mary Jane.

I really wish they'd go for Black Cat and actually do something interesting and different. Spidey feels so lonely all on his own, some of the best Spider-Man moments come from his interactions with other heroes.

But after ASM2, my optimism for this franchise couldn't be any lower.

Agents of Shield has been renewed, and Agent Carter has been ordered straight to series.

• Like 1

I really wish they'd go for Black Cat and actually do something interesting and different. Spidey feels so lonely all on his own, some of the best Spider-Man moments come from his interactions with other heroes.

But after ASM2, my optimism for this franchise couldn't be any lower.

. Plus side is they DID add black cat to the movie. So there's a plus.

And I agree with Foxx sentiments, Gogo. As a villian, I felt bad spiderman was beating up an autistic.

And it's going to be on Friday nights at 10. I think I'll wait several weeks before deciding to check it out. The show might see an early grave.

And it's going to be on Friday nights at 10. I think I'll wait several weeks before deciding to check it out. The show might see an early grave.

Maybe. Fridays is actually one of the only nights that NBC has had a relative amount of success in lately. Edited by livid