Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kate Beckinsale in said attire is also awesome, and the sole reason I sat through about 67 Underworld movies.

And have watched Click. A LOT.

While the first Underworld wasn't too bad, the sequels were kinda bad...I did like the 4th one though

:pervert:

Also, what I had last heard is with a Justice League movie, they wanted to do the opposite of what Marvel did with The Avengers. Get everyone in a JL movie, then spin off into their own movies

That being said, I dunno how long Affleck would be around to play Batman since he's already 41. Probably be around 50 by the time a JL or separate Batman movie came out

About that...

They say by 2018....its 2014 and Affleck is 41...he'll be 45 by that time...like I said, he'll be around 50

I'm pretty sure they want an older Batman. Like Dark Knight Returns Batman.

As for the JL movie, I just want them to rip off the first three episodes of the animated JL, they only had Batman and Superman as established heroes and introduced the rest there and had a big battle and it worked great.

I thought they were anyway? Either way, cool to have confirmation I guess.

Hopefully they start off a little less painfully than Shield did. "THERE WERE ALIENS DID YOU HEAR THERE WERE ALIENS ALIENS AVENGERS THOR ALIENS AVENGERS DID YOU KNOW IRON MAN"

There's more than enough stuff in the books to flesh out a Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist show. Not really familiar with Jessica Jones outside of the fact she's adorable with Luke Cage.

Does anyone know how interwoven the four series will be, though? I think it's interesting that they're all set in Hell's Kitchen, which means that they're sure to bump into each other.

I hope we can somehow get Terry Crews for Luke. I just want him in the MCU somehow.

• Like 1

Wasn't there talk of someone being cast for John Stewart? That would probably mean he'll be GL in the Justice League movie, right?

Denzel Washington was rumored, which will almost certainly not happen. The Rock hinted at it, which would seem to like a way to create a viable spin off franchise for the character. Nothing confirmed.

Alright, time for a 'Murcan review of Spider-Man. All you damn commie foreigners got to see it first, but I went to a pre-release screening tonight and can at least see I got to see it before some of my fellow Americans. :shifty:

SPOILERS BELOW DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT

Maybe it was because my expectations were tempered by some meh reviews, but I actually dug this one. I thought it was on level with the first one, if not maybe a bit better. Nothing ground-breaking in the genre of comic book movies, but a fun one nonetheless. Foxx, DeHaan, and even Giamatti in his brief screen time were all very, very solid. Obviously Gwen's death was spoiled for me, but it was still a cool moment, and I'm glad to see them do something legitimately shocking, albeit at the expense of great chemistry between Stone and Garfield. I still feel Garfield is inferior to Tobey as Parker(better as Spider-Man, though) and was the weakest link in the movie, but he was still okay. I doubt I'll ever get used to that horrible attempt at a New York accent, though.They didn't play the post-credits scene for some reason, which was lame, but oh well!

Did Stan Lee or somebody at Marvel put a stipulation into Spider-Man's movie rights that every Spider-Man movie has to involve a scene with Spidey slinging through the city with no apparent purpose just screaming "WOO HOO" and "WAH HAH"?

Be honest, if you were Spider-Man you'd do it all the time too. :shifty:

And to expand upon my early review after I've had a few days to digest it, yeah, I really liked this movie. I don't understand where all the criticism is coming from. Yes, some of the dialogue is cheesy and it crams a lot in but I'll be damned if it doesn't feel just like a watching a Spider-Man comic book unfold on the screen. It's a big, beautifully cheesy and over-crowded Spider-Man comic. It doesn't feel like a well-structured, paced and technical film. It feels like a comic, and I mean that as a compliment. It's different. So yeah, if you're expecting a Christopher Nolan movie or The Avengers you are going to be disappointed, but if you appreciate it for what it is, it's really fucking fun. Everyone does their job perfectly. The visuals were stunning as well. A really good improvement over the first one, and for comparison's sake, it's easily better in my eyes than Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Thor DW, and arguably the Dark Knight Rises off the top of my head. I just disagree with the critics on this one.

One thing I wish I had seen was...

JK Simmons. To be fair, there wasn't any room to cram him in there aside and the email was a cute nod to him. Here's hoping he pops up in #3.

• Like 1

The villains sucked, and for the middle portion of the movie we went through a romantic comedy which was poorly done.

Spoilers

Saying the villain's sucked is a pretty vague criticism, but I disagree even if I'm in the minority. I actually dug Foxx as Electro, and DeHaan was a great Harry Osbourne. Nails the whole troubled spoiled brat role perfectly, much better than Franco. Goblin's screen time was short but will be expanded in the third film, as with Giamatti, who was perfectly serviceable. I wouldn't even count him so much as villain in the one, at least not a major one. The romantic aspect of Peter Parker's life is a pretty critical aspect of every Spider-Man story, and I don't think it was poorly done at all. In fact, Stone and Garfield have really good chemistry on screen. I mean if that romantic arc was poorly done, then MJ and Peter's in the original series must have been like torture to you .Plus, not many romantic comedies end with the female lead falling to her death, yanno.

• Like 1

The villains sucked, and for the middle portion of the movie we went through a romantic comedy which was poorly done.

Spoilers

Saying the villain's sucked is a pretty vague criticism, but I disagree even if I'm in the minority. I actually dug Foxx as Electro, and DeHaan was a great Harry Osbourne. Nails the whole troubled spoiled brat role perfectly, much better than Franco. Goblin's screen time was short but will be expanded in the third film, as with Giamatti, who was perfectly serviceable. I wouldn't even count him so much as villain in the one, at least not a major one. The romantic aspect of Peter Parker's life is a pretty critical aspect of every Spider-Man story, and I don't think it was poorly done at all. In fact, Stone and Garfield have really good chemistry on screen. I mean if that romantic arc was poorly done, then MJ and Peter's in the original series must have been like torture to you .Plus, not many romantic comedies end with the female lead falling to her death, yanno.

Yes, Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire were horrible on-screen together, and this is from someone who's totally in love with Dunst (Bring It On, baby!). I'm pretty sure I've let my feelings on the first Spidey franchise out here before. That being said, I find Garfield and Emma Stone to have zero chemistry together as well, the scene in the park felt totally insincere and the scene in the closet almost put me to sleep. I actually like Garfield a lot better when he's using Spidey powers as Peter Parker, like the scene in the bedroom where he has to take the costume off or when he's distracting the guards so Gwen can get to the elevator.

Jamie Foxx was terrible, IMO. I actually couldn't believe it was him at first. I know he was having fun with the role, but he came off as the lamest villain of all time, and he gave Spidey no chance to feel in danger. Not to mention the silliness of him spending the entire time underwater coming up with a cool villain name. DeHaan became really, really good after he got told by Spider-Man that he wasn't getting his blood, we finally got to see some actual personality instead of broody rich kid who's going to die. At least he didn't get to say "I AM GREEN GOBLIN!" like his other villain friends. Also, it made me really feel like he's pretty dumb if he's still pissed at Spidey, despite already trying spider venom and it not working. I mean, Harry, come on, Spider-Man was right, his blood wouldn't have worked on you! Why you so mad, bro?

Don't get me started on Rhino. I positively hate that they turned my second favorite Spidey baddie into a clown. Not to mention his suit looks like a fucking dope, and "I AM RHINO!" had half the cinema laughing.

Spoilers

Yes, Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire were horrible on-screen together, and this is from someone who's totally in love with Dunst (Bring It On, baby!). I'm pretty sure I've let my feelings on the first Spidey franchise out here before. That being said, I find Garfield and Emma Stone to have zero chemistry together as well, the scene in the park felt totally insincere and the scene in the closet almost put me to sleep. I actually like Garfield a lot better when he's using Spidey powers as Peter Parker, like the scene in the bedroom where he has to take the costume off or when he's distracting the guards so Gwen can get to the elevator.

Jamie Foxx was terrible, IMO. I actually couldn't believe it was him at first. I know he was having fun with the role, but he came off as the lamest villain of all time, and he gave Spidey no chance to feel in danger. Not to mention the silliness of him spending the entire time underwater coming up with a cool villain name. DeHaan became really, really good after he got told by Spider-Man that he wasn't getting his blood, we finally got to see some actual personality instead of broody rich kid who's going to die. At least he didn't get to say "I AM GREEN GOBLIN!" like his other villain friends. Also, it made me really feel like he's pretty dumb if he's still pissed at Spidey, despite already trying spider venom and it not working. I mean, Harry, come on, Spider-Man was right, his blood wouldn't have worked on you! Why you so mad, bro?

Don't get me started on Rhino. I positively hate that they turned my second favorite Spidey baddie into a clown. Not to mention his suit looks like a fucking dope, and "I AM RHINO!" had half the cinema laughing.

Spoilers

It's weird you don't see the Garfield/Stone chemistry. They're even dating in real life man! Of course, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez were dating as well and still terrible on-screen so I'll let that pass. I'm fine with the Rhino suit. What's the alternative? A regular dude running around in a rhino costume? Now that would be funny.

:P. As for the cheesy lines, they really didn't bother me. I kind of liked them, actually. It all felt in line with the goofy comic vibe that I really enjoyed from the movie. The movie had the ability to be serious when it needed to be, but not every line has to be Oscar-worthy super-cereal stuff. Embrace the cheese, man.

• Like 1