Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You also forgot how he managed to travel from the middle of nowhere back to Gotham with absolutely zero resources.

But on the whole, it's still a pretty fun film. Like I said, it's not brilliant or anything, and yeah, it might have tainted the trilogy quite a bit, but it's a fun film that served most of it's purpose, even though Nolan did decide that he wanted every plot device imaginable in the final act, because Batman, y'know?

Still, he caused less damage than Superman did, so there's that.

I've always felt the 'back to Gotham with no resources' was a fairly weak complaint given that he spends a fair chunk (years wise, not minutes in movie) of Begins travelling the world with no resources. That doesn't change the other complaints of course.

I don't really see how "thing that made sense has happened before" means it made any more sense the second time round.

I found Batman Begins decent enough, genuinely really enjoyed The Dark Knight - much less on the second viewing, but Heath Ledger's performance basically carries the rest of the film way higher than it perhaps deserves - but I bloody hated Dark Knight Rises. Genuinely baffled how anyone could say it was a superior movie.

I just don't see it as not making sense, from the first film they make it clear he's a very resourceful man capable of travelling under his own steam, it's not massively unrealistic in a super hero film. It would maybe have been nice to see how he got back into the city (did they show that, I've only seen it once?), but a montage of him sneaking into boats and such didn't feel necessary.

• Like 1

Nolan tried to attempt too much in TDKR.

In reality, the Bane storyline truly needed to be stretched over two films to give the story & characters justice. Plus the idea with Tate thing didn't pay off as well because she was only a mirror character. They were able to develop the Selina Kyle character well enough but I thought it was at the expense of the Bane/Tate storyline as well as the takeover of the city. I think you could have very easily split the movie up into two parts, breaking it up after the back break scene. The second movie could have been used to expand the struggle within Gotham during the takeover.

If you think about it, BB & TDK really are simplistic movies as far as storylines are concerned. Well executed in my opinion, the movies were never overly crowded. TDKR struggled with trying to juggle too many things and ended up, only really focusing on Batman/Catwoman.

TDKR was still a good movie in my opinion... just not in the same fashion as BB or TDK

Also, I agree with the previous statement. They should have let Bruce Wayne die in the bomb explosion. The ending with Robin was enough to give the movie a "everything will be alright" ending but still telling the story that Bruce Wayne's story was never suppose to have a happy ending.

Edited by Mikel

I really liked the Robin reveal at the end, but it suffers from the same problem that happens 90% of the time a hero passes the cape on - being a cop does not equal ninja training from the League of Shadows. :P

I don't think TDKR could've been two films though, would've been better off cutting the Talia Al Ghul stuff that was ultimately pointless. Film would've worked better if we'd just had a final showdown with Bane and the bomb scene, it would've felt like a much better resolution to Bane's story. All the reveal accomplished was a shock moment the first time you see the film, it's a lot less interesting the second or third time around and still leaves Bane's ending feeling underwhelming.

I never really thought much of the "Catwoman killed Bane, wah" critiques - when I saw it with my brother and my cousin, my cousin's biggest beef with the film was "baw that bitch killed Bane" and I thought he was in the minority. Batman sure as hell isn't going to do it, and he wasn't really in any shape to anyway. I feel like GoGo's logic re: The Undertaker's Streak applies to Bane as well. Except Bane isn't the gunslinging hero, he's the notorious outlaw who's taken out by the last person you'd expect. Sort of like Omar, I guess.

Edited by Cloudy Rocker

I'm actually pretty sure that Nolan's initial plans weren't to have Talia in it at all, and probably have Bane start off as the main villain, but shit would hit the fan once he broke all those prisoners out. I'm pretty sure whatever he originally had went to hell when Heath Ledger died, and he wasn't able to use Two-Face again either because he had killed him off in TDK. I feel that the Talia thing was shoehorned in to create that big reveal at the end, which if you recall he didn't have in Batman Begins or TDK. Which is why I think that Bane getting killed by Catwoman was his second option as well.

5 minute trailer for The Flash show

• Like 5

So, if you're a comic book fan (if not, why are you in this topic, please go away), September/October onwards is insane for TV shows.

Mondays: Gotham

Tuesdays: SHIELD and Flash

Wednesdays: Arrow

Thursdays: Nothing

Fridays: Constantine

And also, Agent Carter or whatever it'll be called.

Agent Carter is going to be on before Shield