Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

As much as I love Anna Paquin, the Rogue in the X-Men movies is fucking horrible. This whiny, useless little fragile thing that can't do anything and requires Wolverine to save her about 600 times a day.

And that's just the first X-Men movie. I just rewatched the trilogy, and it's absolutely abysmal.

• Like 1

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 years they've been doing this X-Men franchise and they've got what, 2 good movies to show for it? This is why I want to see it completely rebooted with Bryan Singer nowhere near it.

Yeah, I know. I told my brother the same thing, if they did Carnage, it'd need to be R. A Spidey/Venom team-up to defeat him would be awesome, though.

I'm just not at into the 'big' heroes like Spidey and Superman now, though. Every Spidey reboot is the same thing, and the only Superman movie that would interest me would be Death of Superman.

On a side note, I re-watched the first X-Men movie the other day, and I'd forgotten how horrible it was. It did kick my nerd rage into high gear, since Jubilee is not full Korean, dammit!, and also everything they did with Rogue is wrong...Jubilee should be Wolverine's friend, and Iceman sucks...

I just really like Jubilee. She's my favorite mutant.

They've rebooted it exactly once. :P

• Like 2

It seems like more!

I did like The Wolverine, mostly because I love that story arc in the comics, but I fucking hate the bone claws.

It's always funny to me how the X-Men movies can get certain things so perfectly right, such as casting, or Wade Wilson, then turn around and destroy it, like Weapon X... Deadpool deserves better.

The X-Men films are the worst for me. I enjoy them all (some more than others), but I could sit down and pick each one of them apart for doing bullshit things or poor decision making. It's not like watching the current MCU, where even when I don't agree that something needed changing, I can see a valid reason as to why it was changed... and it's not like watching something like Fantastic Four, where it was just so poorly done that I didn't even care beyond shoving some food in my face and wasting an hour and a half.

To be fair to the Singer X-Men films, they really were the first attempts at making a larger universe franchise. It's easy to shit all over them in a post-MCU world, where comparatively they're nowhere near as good... but there's still some greatness in there. X-2 was awesome and I liked the majority of the first X-Men. I still think X-2 holds up super well, mostly thanks to Brian Cox and Hugh Jackman.

I mean, the rest aren't great, but the hope is that they're going to be retconning everything Last Stand and beyond out of existence. Except Wolverine, that was surprisingly decent.

So he can go back and do more dumb stuff? Maybe he can bring Cyclops back to life and give him the two minutes of screen time he so generously allots for him each movie.

I can forgive a lot of what happened because it was pre-MCU. But we're 6 years past the start of the MCU and, again, 14 fucking years into this franchise. They should have rebooted by now.

I do give Singer credit though, at least he's got Fasbender's Magneto wearing red armor instead of the leather daddy look every other character got.

That's a fair point, Hugh Jackman and to a lesser extent Mckellan and Stewart have kept it alive. First class managed to breathe some new life into the franchise but that's largely down to McAvoy and Fassbender both being awesome.

Yeah, First Class was a lot of fun, but I have no idea how Fassbender and McAvoy stick around after this one, unless Apocalypse is set in the retconned 80's

Yeah, First Class was a lot of fun, but I have no idea how Fassbender and McAvoy stick around after this one, unless Apocalypse is set in the retconned 80's

Apocalypse will continue on down the story of First Class.

DOFP is sort of the last hurrah for the original cast, from what I've read. Jackman is the exception.

Which means in theory once the first class folk catch up to 2000 (I think that's when the first was set) then everything from that point onwards doesn't happen. Not that they're going to get far.

So I suppose that means the first class bunch is actually a reboot, but within continuity.

I'm confused now, fuck time travel.

And I imagine after they finally get through Apocalypse, they'll do an actual reboot.

It's a shame the entire franchise is such a mess, they could have been building to Apocalypse throughout.

Which means in theory once the first class folk catch up to 2000 (I think that's when the first was set) then everything from that point onwards doesn't happen. Not that they're going to get far.

So I suppose that means the first class bunch is actually a reboot, but within continuity.

I'm confused now, fuck time travel.

Hopefully less confusing once the film's out and you've seen it. It worked for Star Trek.

Just watched Cap 2. Spoiler talk!

So we all saw the awesome stuff, but my thinking is geared more to the future..

Shield is gone. Obviously massive change in the MCU.

Hill has gone to Stark. That makes me think of Civil War.. could we have Civil War in the future?

Crossbones survived. Evans doesn't want to continue acting after his contract is up. That says it all really for me.

Last bit, for now, is Ultron. Where Ultron comes from? The USB device that Widow leaked online. What if Arnim Zola and his algorithm were on that. He didn't die when the equipment was blown to pieces. So he - and that - survive - find their way into the world wide web, end up growing massive and perhaps interacting with Stark's stuff.. hence, Ultron.