2012/13 UEFA Champions League thread

Lineker

"This night could be the making of David De Gea"

Well not really. The media will still crucify him and the United fans will continue to love him.

The fact is, he makes saves like tonight all the time. Most of them don't even surprise me anymore, because his shot stopping is second to none in the world. And that's not an exaggeration. Yes, he could be better at claiming high balls but the fact is that he's always going to be up against bigger and stronger players, therefore it makes it harder for him. Yes, he's also unorthodox when he comes to kicking stuff away, but he still keeps the damn thing out.

Oh and our last unorthodox goalkeeper, yeah he's the one in the Sky studio. Half decent keeper he was, I think his name was Schmeichel.

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever hated a footballer as much as I hate Sergio Ramos. What a cunt.

Good result, Evans, Welbeck and Jones were superb. De Gea man of the match for me though. That first half save was unreal. People on the BBC website slagging off Van Persie. I thought he was excellent. His hold up play was fantastic at times.

Bring on the second leg. No reason we can't be beating them at Old Trafford.

• Like 1

He was a character, but I wouldn't exactly call Schmeichel unorthodox. He was top class.

I wouldn't call De Gea unorthodox either, just poor at claiming crosses.

I'd call both of them unorthodox. De Gea because of how often he uses his feet to stop shots rather than his hands and Schmeichel just because of his star jump, a trademark.