Critically panned movies that you liked

MalaCloudy Black

I loved "Death To Smoochy", one of the few Robin Williams roles I really enjoyed. Danny Devito was great in it too.

I have no idea why Death to Smoochy was as reviled as it was. I mean, if it got some "this isn't a good movie" reviews, fine, but it was on so many worst-of lists that year and I just don't get it. It's certainly not The Godfather or anything like that, but it's a great comedy.

Good call on that one.

I liked Ready To Rumble, too. Sure, it led to David Arquette being forced to participate in a WCW angle that he absolutely hated, but the movie itself is rather enjoyable.

Speaking of Martin Landau, The Majestic, that Jim Carrey movie set in the McCarthy Era, is one that I really like. Most critics disliked it for being too simplistic or cookie cutter, but I'm with Roger Ebert on that one. It's just a good film that recalls Frank Capra if the story was done in reverse, i.e. big city guy goes to a small town and winds up defending small town values, and really doesn't deserve the poor reviews.

And in movies poorly-received by critics but which did well in the box office, another Carrey film, Yes Man, comes to mind. It's just a film that I enjoy watching, with a premise that is just outlandish enough to work, outcomes that are fairly realistic (guy learns a bunch of new, previously unused skills, including conversational Korean and being an aircraft pilot, then travels to the middle of nowhere - totally a DHS red flag these days), and the effects on everybody around the main character seeming to fit in with the message.

Rocky V, The Hangover Part II and Blues Brothers 2000 are ones I can think of off the top of my head. I know none of them are fantastic, but I always seem to enjoy watching them.

• Like 2

Want to throw Predator 2 out there as well. It is not nearly as good as the original or Predators but I like it still.

Fuck that. Predator 2 is an awesome movie - Danny Glover is fantastic going toe to toe with Gary Busey and the Predator, while the supporting cast is fun. Plus, movie from the jungle to crime infested LA was a great choice.

Batman Forever, probably because I vividly remember seeing it in theatres as a child, is one. Mallrats was destroyed by critics, but I find it to be fun movie to watch. It's the same type of humour that makes Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back a fun movie.

Rocky V, The Hangover Part II and Blues Brothers 2000 are ones I can think of off the top of my head. I know none of them are fantastic, but I always seem to enjoy watching them.

I like both of the first two there, but I really liked Blues Brothers 2000. I understand what everyone hates about it, but I enjoyed getting to see the band back together. The music in it was still great. Plus I was ten or eleven when I first saw it. John Goodman was in it, and I had always watched Roseanne growing up. Whatever the reasons, I still love that movie. It didn't lose its luster for me as I grew up.

Mallrats was destroyed by critics, but I find it to be fun movie to watch. It's the same type of humour that makes Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back a fun movie.

"When Jaws pops out of the water" springs up in my mind as a proper response to questions just as often people yell out "that's what she said"

• Like 2

I loved "Death To Smoochy", one of the few Robin Williams roles I really enjoyed. Danny Devito was great in it too.

I have no idea why Death to Smoochy was as reviled as it was. I mean, if it got some "this isn't a good movie" reviews, fine, but it was on so many worst-of lists that year and I just don't get it. It's certainly not The Godfather or anything like that, but it's a great comedy.

Good call on that one.

Was it actually that reviled? Its not that I don't believe you, but that has to be up there as one of my favorite Robin Williams movies so I'm shocked.

Also, I genuinely enjoy the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Like, I've never even watched it in a big theatre with a crowd playing along. I just find it really fun and silly and that's all I want most of the time in a movie.

I enjoyed John Carter, actually. It was hokey and stupid, but then, so is the book it's based on. It certainly wasn't a bad film, and it had it's nice moments. I don't think you could have really done a better adaptation of Princess Of Mars, so it was what it was.

And Dominic West hamming it up as the villain was amazing. He was like, third, on a scale that has Gary Oldman in Book Of Eli at number two, and Jeremy Irons in Dungeons & Dragons at number one.

Gary Oldman in Book of Eli is so brilliant it's beyond description.