Critically panned movies that you liked

MalaCloudy Black

Wasn't Blade Runner slated by critics on release? And Shawshank Redemption, or did I make that up?

Shawshank didn!t have a wide release, it was loved by the critics. It really got popular because of Ted Turner's hardon for it.

Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is a legitimately great film.

GI Jane is pretty decent.

The one that I first thought of was Ultraviolet with Milla Jovovich. Oh, while we're on Jovovich add The Messenger: Joan of Arc.

Aeon Flux wasn't as bad as some people said.

The Transporter 2 is my favourite Transporter film.

Guy Ritchie's much panned Revolver is utterly decent and Mark Strong is great in it.

When I saw Ultraviolet I spent most of it imagining the dialogue being said as it would look written down on a film script - because it was so terrible that clearly no one had thought about how it would sound out loud before they approved it.

Well, I was gonna' say Major Payne, but critics apparently liked it.

The other movies already mentioned are, for the most part on my list too (save for Howard the Duck, never seen it). However, I really do need to give an additional shout-out to Elizabethtown. Orlando Bloom really needs to do more non-action movies (because I think Elizabethtown kind of defies any specific categorization - tongue-in-cheek dramedy, maybe?).

Was the original Punisher movie critically panned?

That'd shade the Thomas Jane Punisher movie for me, if so.

Well, Wikipedia seems to say so.

The original Children of the Corn is another one for me, in fact for a guy who doesn't really care for horror, it's one of my favorite horror movies. From what I understand, it was critically panned and still doesn't rate too highly amongst movie goers. They were doing the creepy kid stuff before it was cool to have a seven year old boy or girl whisper something spooky (god I hate, am I the only one?).

Now I'm not going to say I enjoyed the three or four hundred sequels to it, but the original was fucking fantastic.