EWB's Top 100 Artists of 2012

gunnar hendershow

I like The Black Keys, they had an interesting sound that sort of grew more stale over the years but I still like them. Plus that album Dan Auerbach did with Dr. John earlier this year was pretty good. But a #3 placement? Yeah, never saw that coming.

Black Keys were great at Reading. I guess it's a flavour of the month thing to some extent, but I'm surprised people are surprised they're popular. I also thought Ollie kept on top of music trends >_> They've been getting a lot more attention of late.

Admittedly, I only originally heard of them through video game soundtracks, but still. Good stuff, bit different.

I only got into Black Keys this year but I love them. They were fucking awesome at Reading and I think they have a great sound that alot of people can get into. They're now one of my dad's favourite bands and all of mates loved their set at reading, despite half of 'em having never seen them before. Especially in the UK their popularity has kind of come out of nowhere, but I think they deserve the praise they get.

I'm surprised that so many folks have not heard of the black keys, it seems like they were big a few years back. I'm personally not a huge fan, they're a solid at what they do, but a few years ago I remember a ton of people talking them up.

Oh and since I forgot, Beastie Boys are great, another group that takes me back to the 90s. The video for So Watcha Want remains among my favorites, probably because I remember loving it as a little kid. I was huge into them in middle school, they did it all. Take a group of three teenagers playing hardcore punk alongside bands like Bad Brains and Reagan Youth, then have them do a complete 180 musically and come out even better. That's the Beastie Boys, they are without a doubt the best blend of rock and hip hop that ever existed. Even as they moved further into a hip hop sound, they still churned out some great heavy rock songs, very creative and talented group they were.

And NIN, used to dislike, not sure why either. I've always liked industrial, so why not the best industrial band ever? I regret not giving them a chance earlier, I probably missed out on some great shows because of pig headedness.

I love Iron Maiden and agree with most comments already made. They were fucking ridiculous, but such a fantastic band. I even really love the pre-Brice Dickinson album, one of their best I believe.

Johnny Cash is brilliant. I like his classic stuff and the American recordings. If pushed I would have to say I like his prison albums best. Controversial, eh? Having heard a smattering of his studio albums from the 50s and 60s, there's not really any that is say are especially good, but they are all solid, and there's usually one or two timeless tracks there. Anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. Johnny Cash is brilliant and the image he fostered is iconic. In terms of favourite country singers, he's been eclipsed by Hank in my view but it was Cash that got me into the rest, even if it was through dying. :shifty:

I'm getting sidetracked again...

Black Eyed Keys are okay. I used to be friends with this Belgian guy back when I used to do exchange trips to France three or four times a year. He was obsessed with the Black Keys and it seemed like they would have a new Black Keys album for me every time I went over. Then I stopped going to France and forgot about them. Then they became huge.

I've always thought they were solid, but little more. If anything, their current music has lost something. Their earlier rugged and raw albums sounded a bit different, but their last two albums could have been recorded by any indie rockers. Catchy tunes though. I wouldn't change the station if they were on the radio. Not that I ever listen to the radio.

My stance on The Black Keys is the typical hipster statement of "their older stuff was better, before they got big." In this case is is completely applicable, they used to sound really rough but their sound got cleaned up and it just sounds so plain now. I'm not a huge fan of their older material, but it was certainly something I enjoyed listening to enough.