Can you pick your one FAVOURITE super hero?

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it's always been Spider-Man. I think i got my first comic when i was something like 6 ½ years old and i've been reading it in some format ever since.

Actually Ben Reilly was Spider-Man back then and the clone saga was coming to an end around that time i think. It has come to my attention much later what a trainwreck it apparently was, but around that age it was the coolest thing ever. I was watching the 90's animated show around that time as well which to this day remains awesome. I think that maybe it's because of the large range of supporting characters and all that 'regular life' stuff that's made me like Spider-Man more than other stuff. There were few years where i didn't really care too much about it, but Ultimate Spider-Man pulled me back. I've grown to like the current Miles Morales one as well and Dan Slott's run with the Amazing Spider-Man has been really good. Now with the Superior Spider-Man starting i'm not sure to what to think of it because of the possible changes, atleast Slott continues to write it.

Edited by The Sandman

Like Benji, I'd say Gambit. I just grew up watching the X-Men cartoon and he was just the coolest one on the show, what with the trench coat and the exploding playing cards and all.

Easily The Punisher.

Though back when my main exposure to comics was the 500 or so my dad had (Most of the vintage ones, except for the Nova ones which I had to practically wear surgical gloves to take out of the bag, are nearly all worthless due to water/rat damage, though I think the X-Men #3 might be in good condition) it was a tie between Spider-Man and The Mighty Magnor.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

Gambit was up there as a kid, so I'll always have a soft spot for him. He's just effortlessly cool, with an awesome power.

Spiderman's up there too - again, an old childhood favourite, but in recent years I've really grown to love Steve Ditko, and his work on Spiderman is, while a little dated, amongst the best comic book writing ever. Similarly on the Ditko front, I'm a huge fan of Dr Strange, Mr. A and The Question.

Most of the comics I read now, if they're superhero comics at all, don't really dwell too much on a single character. So, while I love Watchmen, for example, I wouldn't point to any of them as my favourite individual superhero - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

At a push, I probably would say Gambit, but purely on childhood nostalgia. I'm not sure I could actually pick out a favourite now - I'm more interested in how different superhero characters interact with each other or their environment than necessarily with the character themselves; none of them are exactly fully formed characters, after all.

I'm torn up between Punisher and Thor - but since Punisher isn't exactly a superhero, I'll give it to Thor.

I fucking love Norse mythology and the way that Marvel does it is absolutely amazing. Whenever Thor is plopped into a situation, I really enjoy it - especially whenever everyone else is like "fuck, it's Thor."

I unironically like Deadpool too, without all of the 'hurr hurr funny' stuff. He's really a tragic character who covers it up very well.

EDIT: Oh, I fucking love Hawkeye too but not exactly a superhero so, I'll put him with The Punisher.

Actually, I retract my prior point and say Swamp Thing. He was bad-ass and awesome to my childhood self, who was something of an eco-freak, while also leaning towards anything a little more gothic and "dark" (someone start a thread about Gargoyles), whereas to my adult self he's still all that, but with a fantastic tragic element to him, particularly since Alan Moore's reinvention of the characters, which is amongst my favourite of any comics ever published by DC. Even prior to all that, he was a great "misunderstood monster" type. Probably the only comic book character I can think of - if he counts as a superhero - that I'm equally fond of in a childhood nostalgia sense, and reading it now.

I'm torn up between Punisher and Thor - but since Punisher isn't exactly a superhero, I'll give it to Thor.

I fucking love Norse mythology and the way that Marvel does it is absolutely amazing. Whenever Thor is plopped into a situation, I really enjoy it - especially whenever everyone else is like "fuck, it's Thor."

I unironically like Deadpool too, without all of the 'hurr hurr funny' stuff. He's really a tragic character who covers it up very well.

EDIT: Oh, I fucking love Hawkeye too but not exactly a superhero so, I'll put him with The Punisher.

Hawkeye wore a purple costume (seriously, he wore a fucking purple costume!), led The Avengers, and used trick arrows. He is so a Super-Hero.

Wally West version of The Flash is my favorite, with Daredevil, Captain America, Spidey, and (god help me) Blue Beetle close behind. But Wally trumps all!

Ever read Punisher: Born? It's canonic significance is debatable, but it has an... interesting new twist to the Punisher origin story.

Hawkeye wore a purple costume (seriously, he wore a fucking purple costume!), led The Avengers, and used trick arrows. He is so a Super-Hero.

Wally West version of The Flash is my favorite, with Daredevil, Captain America, Spidey, and (god help me) Blue Beetle close behind. But Wally trumps all!

Yeah.. I figured that someone could make an example of Hawkeye being a superhero because of all that, but I guess it's just my definition. I don't count Batman as a superhero in my mind - there just needs to be something unnatural or otherworldly to push it into superhero for me. And while extreme talent at what they do could be an argument, it just doesn't fly one hundred percent for me.

Thinking of it.. I count Iron Man as a superhero, but not Tony Stark.. when Stark gets into the suit he becomes a superhero in my mind.

Hmmph. I'm going to be thinking about this and reasoning it out all day.

(someone start a thread about Gargoyles)

Ask and ye shall receive.

Anyway, Spider-Man. My first exposure - that I can remember, anyway - to any superhero was to Spider-Man, and to this day he's probably still one of my favourites. He's a flawed, uniquely human character in a world where you've got guys with every superpower under the sun, who can heal themselves in minutes or punch holes through buildings or eat worlds. I've always liked that the most about Spider-Man, he's very easy to identify with.

Is it wrong to say Dick Grayson? As both Nightwing and Robin, he was incredibly awesome to me, no matter what he wanted, I wanted him to achieve it.

It also gave me a mad man-crush on Chris O'Donnell.

And wow, a lot of people here really love their Marvel characters more so than DC, eh?

Right now, it'd probably be Nova. But much like favorite bands and films, this changes pretty much all the time. I really loved his run in the Marvel Cosmic stuff and watching him grow as a character, right up until the end was fantastic.

Man, the way he went out was great. I miss Richard Rider Nova.

:(

Outside of that, I'm a huge fan of Ms. Marvel and Captain America. My favorite film adaption of a comic book hero is probably Thor.

As for DC, I do love Batman, but I really enjoy the story of Nightwing too.

Toss up between Gambit and Nightcrawler.

This. One thousand times this.

Also: Cable. I know that a lot of people hate on him because he's way overpowered. I like him because of the full-blown Messiah complex he has. Plus, him and Deadpool were great together.

Also Deadpool. Because Deadpool. :wub:

And Moon Knight.

So in response to the thread's title: no, I cannot.

Edited by Sweet Holy Moses