EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2012: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Previously, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SUoi_9asBU

And now, for the shows that made it. We start with a show that's not just returning to the countdown from 2010, but to this exact spot...

peepshow588.jpg

50. Peep Show (30 pts, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

fringe-team-season-5-gallery.jpg

49. Fringe (30 pts, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #24)

hbogirls.jpg

48. Girls (31 pts, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

revolution-cast-image.jpg

47. Revolution (31 pts, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

NUP_148281_1513suitscastphotoRickHoffman

46. Suits (32 pts, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 Shows of 2012: They told me not to do a chick flick where I fall in love with a giant purple monster, but I said "no. I need money."

Revolution being higher than Fringe is weird, mostly because all I've heard people talk about is how un-great Revolution is. Then again, I'm pretty sure Srar and I are the only people watching Fringe anymore. Shame.

Yeah. I'm surprised Revolution even made it. A lot of people watched it but it didn't seem like anyone really had much affection for it, and yet it placed prominently on a list or two. I don't hate it, but it's not a particularly good show. This is a relatively fair spot for it.

I don't watch anything else in this five. I'd like to watch Girls, and I'm going to watch all of Fringe someday. Fringe dropping 25 spots really surprised me.

Revolution is fairly average. Or it was whilst I was watching, my girlfriend was saying it got pretty good for a while, but I think it's dropped back off into being average. But as one of the few new shows, I guess it's got a place for not being completely terrible. Always wanted to get into Fringe but I only ever made it to the second series and couldn't keep going. Never cared for Peep Show and haven't watched the other two.

Revolution is every network attempt at a Lost-style show since Lost. Decent concept, solid cast, but boring as hell 99% of the time. Whether it's The Event, FlashForward, V, etc., it's just hollow. To be fair, a lot of it is season 1 blues, shows like this need some time, Fringe suffered the same problems in season 1, so I'm hopeful for Revolution as it will obviously get a season 2 and perhaps could become good. But right now, yeah, average at best.

Never watched Suits or Peep Show...

Glad to see Girls made the list, it's fantastic. I know it caught heaps of shit when it started, but I managed to avoid the hype and unhype trains... I didn't even know it existed until its third episode, but I bought the Blu-ray a couple weeks ago and flew through it. Lena Dunham is the next big thing in comedy, period.

I've never seen Peep Show so I can't comment.

I tried watching Fringe when it first started but gave up about halfway through the first season for whatever reason. I've been meaning to get back to it (I've had it on my HDD for months) but haven't gotten around to it yet. Given my recent employment status that will likely change soon.

I couldn't even really get through the first episode of Girls because I just didn't find it that funny, which is odd considering I usually love anything Apatow is involved in. That said, I may give it another shot at some point because again, I have a lot of free time now.

I tried Revolution and wasn't all that impressed. The Pilot was decent enough that I gave it another shot with a couple more episodes after that but it just got lost in the shuffle with all the other shows I watch. I don't really see myself going back to it because it just didn't hold my interest enough, which is a shame since I really like Kripke.

Really, really glad Suits made it on the list because it's such an underrated show and is a lot different than most USA fare. Season 1 was a decent piece of television but Season 2 has just propelled the show onto another level and it's been one of the better and consistent shows on TV this year.

I really disagree with what Cuntface was saying though because this year has been a fantastic year in TV. The new shows this year have been pretty terrible (as was discussed in the General TV thread a couple months ago) but most of the shows that have been on for a bit have been tremendous.

Love Girls. Love Lena Dunham and think her breezy manner of speaking is shockingly sympathetic towards the sort of friends I hang around. They speak like she does: a little frank, a little entitled, but generally fascinating to be around even in their flaws. Err, I mean, SHE HAS TEH WEIGHT AND TEH TATTOOS WHAT A MONSTER.

Peep Show: N/A

Fringe: N/A

Girls: At first I really hated this show. And no, it has nothing to do with "lol, Lena Dunham is fat" because she isn't, but because I really hated the characters and didn't think the show was funny at all. And at the end of season one I still really hate the characters, but it was at least somewhat funny. Don't understand the hype and appeal here, but I'll give it another chance in season two.

Revolution: We talked about this a lot here. It has potential but is mostly terrible, which is a shame.

Suits: N/A

Of those I've ONLY seen Peep Show (loved it up to series 5 but moved away for the series from the JLB layoffs and not caught up with it since). Seen plenty of TV trailers for Fringe. Never heard of the others at all....although I've heard that Father Jack loves one of them, isn't that right Father Jack?

tumblr_m0xlsk9O0i1rrinpto1_400.jpg

• Like 2

Peep Show is the only show on the list that I've ever seen, and even then, not for years. I love David Mitchell, so I think most people are surprised that I don't watch it. What I've seen of I find funny - probably not as funny as my brother and some of my friends who quote it constantly - but I just never sat down and watched any episodes in sequence, or went out of my way to follow it, so I never got hugely into it. I imagine if I watched it all, I'd probably enjoy it, but it's just there, really.

Girls, I've heard good things about, and from the right people. I'm not aware of any hype, or hatred towards it, as I only even found out it existed a couple of weeks ago. I doubt I'll ever get round to checking it out, though, to be honest.

I have seen none of these shows so far, and the only one that interests me at all is Girls. Looks like opinions are pretty split there, yes? Zero loves it, yet LD apparently hates it. I feel like both of these guys have decent taste, so I dunno. I gotta say the idea of watching nothing but entitled people doing entitled people things could be god-awful television, but it can work in an Arrested Development sort of way.

Further or more elaborate opinions on Girls?

Seriously. It has nothing to do with her weight or tattoos. It has to do with the unfunny sense of entitlement and the fact that she genuinely seems like a person I wouldn't want to be around (see, "oh, you're worried that there'a no minorities in my show about living in a very diverse city? Well fuck you").

• Like 2

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who thinks Girls is just ok. Srars criticism is accurate, but it's kind of the point, they're supposed to be unlikeable, I like how much I don't like these people. My problem is it's more of a dramedy than a comedy, and in my opinion it's neither gut-bustingly funny, and the dramatic tension isn't interesting enough for me to care.

• Like 1

Yeah, I really disliked Girls. It felt very realistic and I've been around of those sort of people, but I didn't think it was very funny. It never felt like they told jokes, they just put people who are really stupid for different reasons together, and the result was just them being stupid instead of any actual gags.

EDIT: Yeah, Pizza is basically right, but I also dislike that she came from the school I went to and it irks me that this sort of dead TV is what some people think is a groundbreaking comedy show. It's a well done very unfunny show.