(Spoilers) The thread where CALIFORNIA LOOOOVE~!

Plubby

Flames pre-season games are over.

Despite playing better (by all accounts, and not just in game), Reto Berra will probably be the odd man out in the Flames goaltending carousel. Karri Ramo stepped up and claimed the number one job for the time being. Berra was equal to Ramo's test, if a little bit below him. Joey MacDonald would need to clear waivers to be sent to Abbotsford though, where Berra would not. Despite coming into camp out of shape and not performing overly well, Mac looks like the backup because the team doesn't want to risk losing him.

Meanwhile, Berra goes to the AHL, where Joni Ortio and Laurent Brossoit are already battling for playing time. So, the Heat can carry three goalies, the Flames can move one of them, or the youngest (Brossoit) can play in the East Coast league for the beginning of the season.

The logjam can be rectified if they can move one of the four goalies (who aren't Ramo) before the season starts, or if they throw Joey Mac on waivers and let Ramo and Berra battle it out for playing time.

On a rebuilding team that is looking for someone to step up as the next Kiprusoff, I don't think that it makes sense for it to be anyone other than Ramo/Berra as the goalies in Calgary. If Berra faltered or MacDonald outplayed him, I would say for sure, send him down. But Ramo and Berra both made strong cases in camp to be given that shot. Let them run with it. Play one of them until they have a bad outing, then rotate the next guy in, and do that until the end of the year when a more permanent assessment can be made on who our number one goalie is.

I think people got stars in their eyes for Colborne when he was gotten 'for' Kaberle. Good player, lots of development still to come.

He's on a one way contract in a cap crunch. Toronto pretty much has zero leverage in trading him at the point they decided to snip him from the roster. Big bodied centre who can shoot is one a few things Calgary needs, so it'll be interesting to track his development there.

Yeah, unfortunately for Toronto, Colborne wasn't going to make the team, but he would have needed to clear waivers.

There are some people saying that it was a bad pickup because now he's stuck on the main roster with the Flames, but really, who is he bumping off? Blair Jones.

I'd rather ice a team of guys with potential than a team of guys who are just "solid" when my team is rebuilding. I've always been a fan of trial by fire, and if Joe Colborne is going to excel in the NHL, he's going to have to start this year.

Liles and Holzer have been placed on waivers. Does Holz have to clear? I'd imagine teams would be interested in him. Here's a chance to get Liles for absolutely nothing, although, if teams weren't interested in him with a retained salary, i'm not sure they will be interested in him now. I'm assuming he's clears and nearly a million is saved in space on him.

Rumor has it that Calgary is going to pick up Liles as a way to 'finish' the Colborne trade (to circumvent his no trade clause). If that is the case? THen I am ok with the deal.

And that rumor was started by leaf fans all on HFboards, no? Any real source to that rumor?

Decided to pay money for NHL Gamecenter.

Now, just need to find a way to avoid results - they allow you to avoid scores, yet this doesn't cover up the scores in other areas on the same screen >_>

Oh, and I'm a Calgary fan by default.

Fun.

I would've steered you towards hockeystreams.com, perhaps. You get access to minors as well. The only issue is some people have problems setting it up on PS3/Xbox. But streaming through a computer has been great.