(Spoilers) The thread where CALIFORNIA LOOOOVE~!

Plubby

Double post but OMG Brian Burke:

And to think, it was a punch in a Winnipeg parking lot that helped get playoff hero Kevin Bieksa his first pro contract with the Vancouver Canucks.

What, you say?

Enter former Canucks GM Brian Burke, who on Tuesday recounted to ESPN.com the story of Bieksa and the Canucks, which began in Winnipeg near the end of the 2003-04 season.

"He played his four years at Bowling Green. They were eliminated from the playoffs, and we brought him to Manitoba [AHL] on a PTO [professional tryout]," Burke said. "One night after a game in Winnipeg, in which I don't think he played, they went to a local establishment. Fedor Fedorov was sitting at a table and Bieksa walked by the table, bumped him by accident and spilled Fedorov's beer. Bieksa apologized and offered to buy another beer."

According to Burke, Fedorov was in no mood for the apology from the unknown rookie and challenged him to a fight outside. Bieksa again tried to defuse the situation, according to Burke, but Fedorov wanted to fight.

"So, they go outside. Fedor was a big guy, he was a lot bigger than his brother Sergei," said Burke. "Then Fedor comes in and Bieksa drills him with one punch. Knocks him stone cold and cut wide-open and leaves him lying on the pavement."

Burke said Bieksa figured he was done with the Canucks organization and would be sent home the next day.

"Send him home? I said, 'We're going to sign him tomorrow,'" said Burke, whose affinity for truculence is well-established.

Bieksa played 80 games with the Moose the following season before graduating to the Canucks in 2005-06.
  • Like 2

Vancouver now without a GM.

Sean, unexpected?

Gillis ran out of good will. He's not a bad GM, but he's not as good as he appeared to be. The Canucks have been a dominant team for so long because of pieces put in place by his predecessors, and Gillis' mishandling of the goaltending situation really emphasized that point. Whether or not he was handcuffed by ownership, I have no idea, but the fact is, he lost two franchise goaltenders for less than he could have received for Luongo if he had dealt him when the situation first started.

I think it was expected that either Gillis or Torts would get the axe, and in regards to Torts, this is his first year with the team and he owns a track record that suggests that he can turn this around if he has the right pieces. So it just makes sense that it's Mike Gillis being sent home.

That being said, he'll be a GM again in the NHL. It's just a matter of time until Dave Nonis gets sent out of Toronto and Gillis can continue the trend and head there.

Trevor Linden is supposedly going to be the new president, put in charge of hiring a GM and overseeing the team from there.

I would say it's not unexpected for Gillis, though it happened faster than maybe you would have figured. He confirmed his head was probably on the chopping block in a radio interview a week ago so maybe he was aware or wanted to be let go or who knows. They need some change because it's fallen apart really badly down the stretch. I watched last night's game with Anaheim and it was a really poor effort.

• Like 1

Looks like Pittsburgh could get either Detroit, Columbus or Philly in the first round. As much as I'd like to see a easier match up against Columbus, I think Pittsburgh needs a real test in the first round. With the talent they have on that team there's no reason why they can't beat Detroit or Philly if they control themselves and Fleury plays like he's been playing during the season.

Feel bad for you Leaf fans, not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but must really suck to have your team be one of the top teams in their division for most of the season only to collapse like that. :({):

And Leafs officially out of the playoffs.

The pricks didn't deserve it. Fire the coach, fire the GM, and bring in players who will play (and maybe, if we're lucky, a 4th line)

If everyone's the problem, then why are you so mad?

Need more time than I had at work last night to discuss. Give me a few days.

The pricks didn't deserve it. Fire the coach, fire the GM, and bring in players who will play (and maybe, if we're lucky, a 4th line)

What an unbelievably stupid question to ask. How should we be feeling? "herp derp de derp leafs lose again now eliminated wasted season OH WELL AT LEAST SIX MORE YEARS OF CLARKSON"

• Like 1

On Monday, Francesco Aquilini sent a Globe and Mail reporter a text message warning of legal action after the newspaper published a story discussing the family’s involvement in the hiring (of John Tortorella).
“I read your article today. You are a prick,” it said.
Two hours later, a legal letter from the family’s counsel arrived by e-mail. It alleged defamation, sought a retraction and an apology, and threatened further action.

“The facts are that while the Aquilinis supported the decision of the General Manager, the hiring decision was his and not theirs,” lawyer Howard Shapray of Vancouver-based Shapray Cramer Fitterman Lamer LLP wrote in the legal letter to The Globe.

Linden is officially the new president of hockey operations.

What an unbelievably stupid question to ask. How should we be feeling? "herp derp de derp leafs lose again now eliminated wasted season OH WELL AT LEAST SIX MORE YEARS OF CLARKSON"

Making the playoffs once in the past, what is it, 8 seasons? That's a reason to be mad.

Being near the top of our division for most of the year, only to shit the bed? That's a reason to be mad.

Signing David Clarkson to a ridiculous contract, and have him under perform? That's a reason to be mad.

Having a 4th line that plays 2 minutes a night, causing our star players to get burnt out? That's a reason to be mad.

Having a coach say "It's not my job to motivate the players", ruin Reimer's confidence, and basically just be an expensive suit standing behind the bench? That's a reason to be mad.

When you're a Leafs fan, there is plenty to be mad about.

• Like 1

Not to mention, a rebuild isn't really an option, 6 players making $34 million are tied up through 2018. This is what the Leafs are going to be for years to come. A borderline playoff team who picks 10-20th every year and doesn't play in May. And that's frustrating, considering the promise of last year.

• Like 1