The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Everything in Jersey City was fun and tied together nicely but the two episodes in Karachi felt wholly unnecessary or something which, at most, needed to be 10 minutes. So again we're left with a show that could've been a movie, though a long one.

Spoiler

I laughed at them playing the X-Men theme like they were the Grateful Dead teasing "Dark Star". Between this, Wandavision, and Dr. Strange they are sure having fun with it. I assume that we're approaching something directly X-Men related popping up in the MCU. But it's a lot to build up to get to people's expectations of X-Men.

And I'd agree that The Marvels starts exactly where this show ends. I suppose there will be something out of Secret Invasion but the "starting point" for the movie is Carol in the Khan house.

• Like 1

I think it should've been a movie, especially because so many of my favourite bits were definitely influenced by Bend It Like Beckham and Gurinda Chadha. I'd agree it's another case of a TV show that either feels like it needs longer, or to be shorter and I just think it could be such a great little movie.

Really love what they were trying to do with it, all the best stuff was Kamala and family related, was great to see a different culture represented in the MCU, just once again felt reined in instead of letting itself truly spread its wings. 

Very excited to see Kamala turn up in other stuff, Iman Vellani is a star -  and if Marvel would give the writers even more free reign, I'd be into a second series. 

• Like 1

Now that you mentioned it, I agree with that Ms. Marvel could've been a really good origin film. There's some parallels with Spider-Man in that she's a teenager who gets powers and has to figure out how to be a hero, but with the Spider-Man films having avoided the origin story trope, Ms. Marvel would've had the perfect chance to showcase its own origin story.

I loved the show, but it definitely struggled with the Marvel formula that they have been running with since WandaVision. Most of their shows have ran into the issue that they either don't have enough time to tell a story in six episodes (or they have to leave some pretty big blanks to get there), or they kinda stall around episode 4-5 because there's not enough to really fill out a six episode season with.

Marvel should definitely look into their TV series formula going forward. It seems She-Hulk has 9 episodes, so maybe that'll be better OR worse, but at least it should lead to a different formula compared the past series. But Secret Invasion/Ironheart seems to be only 6 episodes (but I guess that might change before release?)

I still Marvel hits more than they miss, and with series not lingering the bad ones don't leave a bad taste whilst the good ones leave you wanting for more, so it's not the worst formula, but it can always improve.

I still feel Loki, Hawkeye, and Moon Knight were the best. But all of them have done something for me.

Also second the desire to see more of Ms. Marvel going forward, Iman Vellani is definitely a gem.

I really enjoyed the finale:

Spoiler

It was perhaps a little clichéd with the hero taking on the big, bad government agency, but that's a bit easier to follow than what they were trying to do with the Clan Destines. Having all the younger cast form a team was nice too, although the reasons for Aamir and Zoe being at the school were a little flimsy.

I can only imagine what was going through Iman Vellani's mind when she found out she was going to be in the first MCU-616 character to be called a mutant.

Great post-credits scene too, and given the discussion we've been having in the movie thread it's nice to see a post-credits scene which quite clearly sets up a film that has already been announced.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Hide contents

It was perhaps a little clichéd with the hero taking on the big, bad government agency, but that's a bit easier to follow than what they were trying to do with the Clan Destines. Having all the younger cast form a team was nice too, although the reasons for Aamir and Zoe being at the school were a little flimsy.

I can only imagine what was going through Iman Vellani's mind when she found out she was going to be in the first MCU-616 character to be called a mutant.

Great post-credits scene too, and given the discussion we've been having in the movie thread it's nice to see a post-credits scene which quite clearly sets up a film that has already been announced.

Your last point is absolutely spot on.

Spoiler

Nothing in Phase 4 has been there to make the next thing feel like something, or go in to something else - The TV shows are a perfect way to transition to a movie, or for a movie to transition to a show, but we're left with loads of "what does this mean" moments and yeah, setting up The Marvels is bang on point.

On 10/06/2022 at 20:02, Chris2K said:

There's also a spoiler in the credits which pretty much guarantees a cameo in a future episode, obviously don't click if you don't want it spoiled as this just seems like a combination of internet-sleuthing and laziness from the credits team.

Hide contents

Hailee Steinfeld's make-up artist Chris Milone is credited, along with her name.

Ms-Marvel-Steinfeld-credit

Sorry to quote myself, but I just remembered what was thought to be a spoiler from the first episode's credits, which you're safe to look at now as it has no bearing on Ms. Marvel. I have to assume that it was complete laziness and that they copied and pasted the credits from Hawkeye and didn't change that part of it.

8 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Hide contents

She did an AMA today where she addressed that last bit:

Spoiler

Her and the guy who plays Bruno couldn’t keep it together, they were giddy as fuck (and so was co-creator of Kamala, Sana). And Sana and Iman have both confirmed that Kamala was originally meant to be a mutant in the comics but were forced to go the Inhuman route instead (because of Ike Perlmutter, presumably)

• 2 weeks later...

Marvel Studios Animation panel at SDCC was yesterday, and a lot of news came out of it.

I Am Groot: "Season 1" is 5 shorts following Groot through various phases of his childhood. Bradley Cooper as Rocket and Vin Diesel as Groot return. It premiers on August 10th (what isn't clear is if all episodes drop at once, or if they're going to roll them out one by one. Here is the trailer.

Spider-Man Freshman Year: Debuts in 2024, and is set right before Civil War. (This makes no sense timeline wise for the main universe of movies, so it's probably a multiverse thing? Dr. Strange wouldn't be around at this time, and they first meet during Infinity War. The scene in Civil War with Tony and Aunt May is directly recreated here, with Norman standing in for Tony, too) Features Charlie Cox voicing Daredevil, in his black and red suit. Other heroes/friends of Peter/villains set to appear are: Doc Ock, Norman Osborne (he's Peter's mentor), Nico Minuro of the Runaways, Tombstone, Amadeus Cho, Harry Osborne, Scorpion, Chameleon, Rhino, Dr. Strange "and more".

What If? Season 2: Early 2023 release date. They only mentioned a few stories, like a Hela based one, Odin versus the Mandarin, Tony on Sakaar and Captain Carter meeting "the Winter Soldier". Season 3 is already greenlit, and they're working on it right now. They make a point to say the Captain Carter from What If? isn't the same one in Multiverse of Madness.

Marvel Zombies: Rated TV-MA, and will release in 2024. It's set in the same universe as the Marvel Zombies episode of What If (obviously). New zombies mentioned are of Ghost, Abomination, Captain Marvel and Okoye (along with previously seen Cap, Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch). New characters joining the already established Spider-Man, Scott Lang's head and T'Challa are: Ms. Marvel, Jimmy Woo, Kate Bishop, Yelena, Death Dealer, Shang-Chi and Katy. Ikaris "is a factor" in the story, but isn't a zombie since "Eternals can't become zombies". They aren't shying away from the gore of the comic books, supposedly. Also mentioned is a Skrull biker gang, and a roaming band of post-apocalyptic Black Widows.

X-Men '97: Fall 2023 release date, and Season 2 has already been greenlit by Marvel. The X-Men team following the events of Graduation Day in Season 5 of the original show are: Rogue, Gambit, Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean Gray, Beast, Cable, Bishop, Forge, Morph, Nightcrawler and Sunspot. Magneto is their leader, and the villain for the show is Mister Sinister and his group (maybe the Marauders?).

I'll update this post today (eventually) with anything about Disney+ live action MCU shows, if they announce anything (an if nobody beats me to it - but feel free, I'll be at work when the panel is happening today). I suspect it'll mostly be movies, but I'm betting they'll announce the Werewolf by Night special for Halloween directed by Michael Giacchino.

I don't think it was at this panel, and it's on the Disney Channel proper (and also D+ too apparently), but holy shit Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur has an incredible voice cast. Cobie Smulders (as Maria Hill), Laurence Fishburne (as the Beyonder), Alison Brie, Andy Cohen, Daveed Diggs, Maya Hawke, Jennifer Hudson, Method Man, Wesley Snipes, Omid Abtahi, Utkarsh Ambudkar, Michael Cimino, Indya Moore, Craig Robinson, Gideon Adlon, Pamela Adlon, Anna Akana, Ian Alexander, May Calamawy, Wilson Cruz, Asia Kate Dillon, Luis Guzmán, astronaut Dr. Mae Jemison, Josh Keaton, June Diane Raphael, Paul Scheer and Tajinae Turner. Good fuckin' lord.

EDIT:

Phase 4 (D+) ends with She-Hulk. 

Phase 5 (D+) is Echo, Ironheart, Secret Invasion, Loki Season 2, Agatha: Coven of Chaos, and Daredevil: Born Again (18 episodes, Spring 2024)

Edited by tristy

I am so looking forward to the show, a 4th wall break, Wong, funny moments, DAREDEVIL! Just hook it to my veins.

Also, from the Hall H presentation:

Spoiler

They were tiptoeing around who else might be in the show, but made it clear that there would be characters from "films with a more dramatic theme" being given the chance to show a different side, so we could be getting a "legal case of the week" type show.

• 3 weeks later...

Well She-Hulk is great.

Spoiler

My only gripe is that I feel like Hulk's entire 14 year story arc is laughed off and discarded, possibly just to speed up the process of getting the TV show going quicker.

Other than that, it's very funny and I can't wait for more of it.

6 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Well She-Hulk is great.

Hide contents

My only gripe is that I feel like Hulk's entire 14 year story arc is laughed off and discarded, possibly just to speed up the process of getting the TV show going quicker.

Other than that, it's very funny and I can't wait for more of it.

Spoiler

It's not discarded, though? He's played off for laughs in the same way it was in Endgame, where he's trying to be hip and cool. But I don't see how it's being discarded. They quickly addressed questions that fans had about things like his damaged arm from Endgame, and why he was in human form at the end of Shang-Chi. They're wrapping up loose ends because he's likely going to leave Earth before the show is over, since that spaceship (might) belong to Skaar.

I just don't see what you're saying, basically.

Felt like breaking the 4th wall for the sake of it, which I don't love, but it was an enjoyable half an hour of TV. Tatiana Maslany is great! Looking forward to seeing how it becomes its own thing, now that the fun prequel bit is out of the way. 

Fleabag spoiler. 

Spoiler

I think after how well Fleabag uses the trope of someone else eventually recognising the camera / breaking the 4th wall, it seemed weirdly played in this episode where Bruce notices as well. It just feels quite inconsequential and gimmick-y in She-Hulk so far, like it didn't add anything. Be interesting to see if they can use it in a fun way or if they're just riffing off what's come before because it's popular. 

Edited by Jimmy

9 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Felt like breaking the 4th wall for the sake of it, which I don't love, but it was an enjoyable half an hour of TV. Tatiana Maslany is great! Looking forward to seeing how it becomes its own thing, now that the fun prequel bit is out of the way. 

Fleabag spoiler. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I gather they use the fourth wall breaking because the comics often did that. Doesn’t quite make the show justify it in its own right, but I think that’s why.

13 hours ago, Josh said:
  Hide contents

I gather they use the fourth wall breaking because the comics often did that. Doesn’t quite make the show justify it in its own right, but I think that’s why.

Spoiler

Oh, that's cool, I didn't know that!

It was only an early half an hour of TV, so as ever, I'll go with it. Just felt like it was following a trend more than using it for a good reason. I think it's become such a popular trope, I just love it when it's used well. 

Spoiler

I enjoyed it. Nothing particularly special but it looks like the VFX has at least improved from some of the earlier trailers. Not as jarring. Hoping it maintains its lighthearted nature and doesn't descend into the dreaded 3rd act CG laser battle for once.

I did like that Jen faces none of the issues with becoming a Hulk that Bruce had and that the reason why has to do with the fact that as a woman in our society she's got much more emotional intelligence, and the ability to control her emotions, than Bruce who never had to reckon with much of that. Quick and effective way to get over any storyline humps and also one that carries with it some valid commentary.

I agree the 4th wall breaking didn't really add much overall. Even if it's a nod to the comics. 

• Like 2