The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

I like the ideas all the TV shows have but I feel like they're 50/50 on sticking the landing.

WandaVision was good, but it was all better before it devolved into the usual superhero affair. The intrigue of it being something different carried it through though.

Loki was great and the second season announcement will give them more room to fill some of the potential it had. Hiddlestone was tremendous and continued doing wonderful work with the character.

Falcon and Winter Solider, plotwise at least it was a mess and seemingly tried to do two or three different plots over the course of its 6 episodes, and I don't think it worked. The character work for Bucky, Sam, and John Walker though was really good.

Hawkeye was great, inoffensive fun. Probably my second favourite of the lot after Loki.

Moon Knight was either too long or not long enough. If its getting a second season I'll give them a reprieve, if its a one and done they could have cut some of it or utilised the time it had a bit more concisely.

What If did a lot of fun stuff, but I want some wilder changes and knock-on effects for season 2. A lot of the episodes (but not all) made it feel like not a lot had changed.

Maybe my opinion will change as more of the stuff has a wider effect, but bar WandaVision they all feel very isolated at the moment, which I appreciate that they will for now.

What If will supposedly have.. (obviously not confirmed, but seems very possible)

Spoiler

Episode 1: What if Iron Man travelled to Sakaar? This is the episode from the previous season postponed due to Covid. It'll have Gamora, Destroyer of Thanos, too.

- Episode 2: What If Captain Carter fought the Winter Soldier? Continuation the post-credits scene of season 1.

- Episode 5: What If... The Soviets Built the ARC Reactor? Anton Vanko is able to rebuild the ARC reactor after he is deported to the USSR, and uses the technology to build the Crimson Dynamo armor. SHIELD sends Hank Pym, Janet Van Dyne and Nick Fury to Siberia to destroy the reactor and bring back the armor's schematics for the US. During the mission, Ant-Man fights the Red Guardian.

- Episode 7: What If Wanda used to watch musicals? Just a fun episode in the Wandavision style, with easter eggs of several musicals: Les Misérables, The Lion King, The Phantom of the Opera, even Cats.

• Like 1

Hawkeye was a good mention because it was both what I feared from the TV shows (safe stories that don't reinvent the wheel) and what they clearly do best (fun, light stories with a small cast of characters). It was frankly perfect for something in December when I and most people just want some time to sit back and watch something easy.

The early episodes of WandaVision remain the very best stuff they've produced. Episodes 1 of 5 of Moon Knight were both great and carried by the brilliant Oscar Isaac. Loki never had a standout episode but looks to be the likeliest show that could be a "franchise" all on its own. Falcon and Winter Soldier was trying to cram a ton in to get us to the point where we had these new characters (or characters now donning the Captain America shield) for the purposes of the movies.

Oscar Isaac absolutely carried the show and he'll be a great addition to the MCU going forward.

I feel like Falcon and Winter Soldier both just need another appearance or series or movie or literally anything and I'd probably look back on it better. As you said they had to seemingly do a lot of moving to get the pieces in place, and I know production on it got affected by COVID, but it felt like the general picture was there but some of the pieces were missing. Cap 4 with Mackie will probably be a lot better than the series was.

18 hours ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

Oscar Isaac absolutely carried the show and he'll be a great addition to the MCU going forward.

If there is a going forward.  Loki S2 was announced immediately.  We knew Wanda was coming back for MoM, S2 of 'What If...' was announced right after S1, they teased Captain America and The Winter Soldier after FatWS, I can't remember anything specific after Hawkeye about another season or movie appearance.

We've heard nothing about S2 of Moonknight, and Oscar Isaac has been saying consistently this was a one off thing

2 hours ago, Lint said:

If there is a going forward.  Loki S2 was announced immediately.  We knew Wanda was coming back for MoM, S2 of 'What If...' was announced right after S1, they teased Captain America and The Winter Soldier after FatWS, I can't remember anything specific after Hawkeye about another season or movie appearance.

We've heard nothing about S2 of Moonknight, and Oscar Isaac has been saying consistently this was a one off thing

I meant the wider MCU, not necessarily his own series. I can't imagine they'll just never use the character again.

I'm really looking forward to this one. Supposedly it'll have some fun cameos and returning minor characters, and might be the template for Deadpool's future in the MCU with the 4th wall breaking and whatnot.

But the CGI for She-Hulk's face is, uh... not great.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

AHnihx.gif

• Like 1

I imagine She-Hulk will be the last long form live action TV show for the MCU this year, since I Am Groot, What If? S2, Werewolf by Night and the Guardians Holiday Special are all either confirmed or rumored to drop towards the fall/winter.

2023 looks really good, with Secret Invasion, X-Men '97, Armor Wars, Echo and possibly Loki S2 and/or Agatha coming out.  Ironheart will probably start filming towards the end of the year I'd imagine, it might be 2023, but I'd expect early 2024. The remaining series, as far as I'm aware, haven't had updates on them either at all, or in awhile: Marvel Zombies, Spider-Man: Freshman Year, Wakanda series, and the Shang-Chi spin-off.

After Ms. Marvel drops, everything else for me is just icing on the cake. Been waiting on that one for a long time, and I'm excited to see it. I'm also INSANELY hyped up for X-Men '97 and what that means for the MCU, if anything. It's either its own thing, or they're going to somehow tie it into the MCU.

Upside: Daredevil getting his own show set within the MCU

Downside: It's written by the people who wrote the terrible Covert Affairs show that was on USA Network like 5 or 6 years ago.

Now bring back Jessica Jones, you absolute fuckers.

31 minutes ago, Josh said:

Is X-Men ‘97 intended to be continuation of the animated series? And what’s Werewolf by Night?

Yes to the first question. It is apparently going to take place following the finale of the original animated series.

Werewolf by Night is one of Marvel's horror characters. He's been a regular guest star in Moon Knight comics, so there were some rumors that he may show up in Moon Knight, but I think it's more likely that Moon Knight shows up in the Halloween special for Werewolf by Night... even if only to cameo and give them the ability to advertise Oscar Isaac to try and draw more interest.

It's also possible that it's the first on screen appearance of Blade in the MCU, as they seem to be intent on fleshing out the the more horror-centric corners of the MCU.