The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

On 09/05/2022 at 22:20, tristy said:
Spoiler

- Episode 7: What If Wanda used to watch musicals? Just a fun episode in the Wandavision style, with easter eggs of several musicals: Les Misérables, The Lion King, The Phantom of the Opera, even Cats.

I didn't realise how much I needed this in my life and (Dr Strange spoilers)

Spoiler

I hope they include a version of the ice cream song from MoM just to fuck with the weiners who are taking their anger out on an intentionally dumb song out on the kids.

• 2 weeks later...

supposedly "A Fan's Guide to Ms. Marvel" will be uploaded to Disney+ late tonight/tomorrow

A Fan’s Guide to Ms. Marvel is a documentary short that gives you an exclusive look behind the groundbreaking original series, “Ms. Marvel”, from its comic book origins to its development and production as Marvel Studios’ next hit series on Disney+. It features interviews with its award winning filmmaking team and the show’s captivating star, newcomer Iman Vellani.

Seems like something like Assembled, that usually airs after the show is done. Odd, but I'm ready.

Next weeeeeek!

I second the sentiment that the first episode of Ms. Marvel was great. Perfect introduction of a great character.

It had that Spider-Man feel to it, whilst being very much inherently different in so many ways. I hope the other five episodes will be as fun as this one is! The art-direction also felt akin to Into the Spider-Verse, and it really helped make it stand out and pop.

Any thoughts on a suggested age range? I suspect my 10 year old daughter would love it, but while she's watched a load of MCU stuff with lovely explosions something about an actual girl of similar age might hit home a bit more.

12 minutes ago, Colly said:

Any thoughts on a suggested age range? I suspect my 10 year old daughter would love it, but while she's watched a load of MCU stuff with lovely explosions something about an actual girl of similar age might hit home a bit more.

Your daughter will be more than fine

• Like 1

Originally, it was the first Disney Plus MCU show that was rated TVPG, but it's been since changed to TV14. But yeah this entire episode is wholesome as fuck. One mention of drugs but other than that it's the most squeaky clean MCU show ever.

And it's fuckin' great.

• Like 3

It’s absolutely as good as people say. Accessible for absolutely anyone, a lot of heart, super relatable characters, organic conflict, and fuckin’ STYLE.

I LOVE when Marvel hires creatives with their own unique vision and let them just do their thing. It paid off with Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Guardians, WandaVision, Multiverse of Madness, and even a focused genre piece like Winter Soldier. More of this please!

I can’t wait to see how Ms. Marvel unfolds.

I really enjoyed the first episode, the art style, imagination and the story itself is fantastic, and they couldn't have found someone more perfect than Iman Vellani to play the role. These MCU casting teams are pretty decent. I'm not entirely sold on how she got her powers, although that's mainly frustration at the behind-the-scenes stuff that prevent the comics origin from happening, but I'll see where they go with it.

There's also a spoiler in the credits which pretty much guarantees a cameo in a future episode, obviously don't click if you don't want it spoiled as this just seems like a combination of internet-sleuthing and laziness from the credits team.

Spoiler

Hailee Steinfeld's make-up artist Chris Milone is credited, along with her name.

Ms-Marvel-Steinfeld-credit

Embiggen, much like stretching abilities, just doesn't translate well visually to live action in my opinion. Fair argument about whether this is the right way to go about it, but I thought it was overall a smart creative decision.

We'll see this play out when One Piece comes out and, I assume, gets mocked for how ridiculous Luffy looks in live action. 

Man I love this show, it's covering so much ground that shows of this nature don't usually cover, and everyone is knocking it out of the park.

Kamala getting duped into drinking alcohol genuinely pissed me off from previous experience, which was the only sour note (and not the show's fault, because that shit happens far too often and it's really not funny).

• Like 1

Spoiler

Kamala’s powers don’t come from the bangles?! Almost like… the bangles unlock something inside of her… hmmm. Or she’s Thor’s cousin. One or the other.

Night Light, lmao.

That party scene with the orange juice is straight outta the comics, like panel for panel almost.

Mosque scenes, FBI surveillance of said mosque, mentioning the Partition… damn, Marvel goin’ hard with the statements here and I love it. I forgot the agent’s name, but the female one is racial profiling so hard.

An Eternals/Kingo reference! And yet another reference to Black Widow.

Oh, and let’s welcome back the EDITH drones from Far From Home!

That kid deserved a broken ankle for even putting the idea of ice cream on pizza out into the world.

I love this show and they are knocking it out of the park. They've done my girl justice so far. Still not sold on the powers that much, but it's whatever, I'm just enjoying the ride.

• Like 1

It's just your typical superhero explanation: in the comics, Bruno regularly creates tech for Kamala. I don't know how far the show is going to go with Bruno, but in the comics he's built stuff like a miniature nuclear generator. Oh yeah, and an alien threat detector for all of New Jersey 🤣

(He also attends college in Wakanda and his best friend and roommate there is the nephew of T'Challa, which they could possibly do since the show is sitting up him turning down CalTech it seems)

Edited by tristy