The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Spoiler

I didn't like the Daredevil suit (particularly when we've had two episodes of guys with daft costumes, and it was more that way than cool. And yes I'm aware he wore a horrible yellow suit briefly in the 60s), but had no issue at all with the portrayal, he wasn't completely miserable all the time in the Netflix show. For him to be a bit more cheerful when basically on holiday battling a minor daft villain seemed fine.

The show still falls down in the CGI though, and that included that She-Hulk v Daredevil fight, that was the most jarring bit for me after his usual hyper real fight scenes. I wasn't expecting the Netflix brutality, but he was a bit too Spider-man at times. My wife caught part of the episode for the first time, and as someone who's well out of the always online bubble immediately pointed out how bad She-Hulk constantly looks. It's not a disaster given the type of show, but it really lets it down.

Latest She-Hulk

Edited by Colly
Added spoilers, wasn't sure on the rule as I'm usually two weeks behind, managed to catch up...

Spoiler

I had fun with it and enjoyed it - I didn't take the portrayal too seriously, although a few moments felt off-kilter. Also feel like you get a bit of leniency when you've got a character breaking the 4th wall, because ultimately they're an unreliable narrator, so it's not that deep if Daredevil turns up again all brooding etc. 

The one thing I would say, and while it's very much part of the appeal of the MCU, is I enjoyed the last two episodes more than the previous few because I enjoy seeing Tim Roth and Charlie Cox, and characters I'm familiar with, having fun. 

Which is cool - but I do think it sort of reminded me that She Hulk hasn't really made me care about anyone else other than Jen in this time and that is usually what makes sitcoms so good is the strength of the rest of their cast, which I don't think has been utilised. 

But as I said before, I appreciate what She Hulk is, I don't think it's amazing or anything, but I enjoy some episodes, the cameos and that it has an identity. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

So Werewolf By Night is fantastic.  Just a love letter to some of the classic monster movies, with a lot of good practical effects...and also

Spoiler

Man-Thing!

• Like 2

I really enjoyed Werewolf By Night, it gave me the feel of the very best of American Horror Story and I've always been a fan of Gael Garcia Bernal. I'm also a fan of them unapologetically being "this is is in the MCU but there's so much happening in the world that you don't know about, not everything needs to be Avengers" and I'm here for it; it cut ties like Moon Knight wasn't able to.

Absolutely loved Werewolf by Night, the only thing I was disappointed with was the werewolf design, but I can let it slide given that they obviously spent the effects budget wonderfully somewhere else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maxx said:

Absolutely loved Werewolf by Night, the only thing I was disappointed with was the werewolf design, but I can let it slide given that they obviously spent the effects budget wonderfully somewhere else.

It was interesting that they originally went with a more modern, lupine design but backtracked because Giacchino did not want Bernal lost in the monster design. There's also a bit of a nod to "El Hombre Lobo" Paul Naschy that may get developed further in future appearances.

If the spoilers I read for tonight/tomorrow's She-Hulk finale are true - fuckin' bananas episode incoming. Well, for my tastes anyway, I don't know how others would feel about it.

It's the last MCU show proper of 2022. The GotG Holiday Special Presentation is the last MCU related thing to release this year, in December sometime.

I think 2021 was the stronger year for D+ MCU stuff, with WandaVision, Loki and Hawkeye being the better offerings (What If? wasn't that bad, but Falcon & Winter Soldier wasn't really needed tbh). But, I'm bias, and 2022 gave me Ms. Marvel and that was fantastic (for me), so it wins. Almost a year later and I'm kind of shocked how fondly I look back on Hawkeye. For a character I absolutely don't care about, it was a really fun show. Warts and all, each show has introduced characters that made me want a S2 - even Moon Knight, which was probably my least favorite show.

Moon Knight frustrated the hell out of me because so much of it was done extremely well and then the finale was a huge garbage spectacle that had no place with the tone of the rest of the show.

• Like 1

Moon Knight was the most egregious example of these TV shows just being drawn out MCU movies. It has a lot of interesting, creative stuff at the start and then just plowed into its finale as if it were Act 3 in any movie you'd see in theaters. And that was incredibly out-of-place.

Hoping She-Hulk doesn't do the same with its finale because it's been a welcome change as a largely contained TV sitcom.