The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

She-Hulk with the most unique finale in the MCU. Personally, I enjoyed the heck out of it. 

• Like 2

Hide contents

I think everyone is aware of Marvel's third act problem at this point. But they didn't solve that problem with that 4th wall breaking, self-deprecating bullshit. They just decided to simply not give us a climax. They skipped straight to the aftermath of the climax when the baddies are being led away in handcuffs.

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

I think everyone is aware of Marvel's third act problem at this point. But they didn't solve that problem with that 4th wall breaking, self-deprecating bullshit. They just decided to simply not give us a climax. They skipped straight to the aftermath of the climax when the baddies are being led away in handcuffs.

Spoiler

Just really weird. Like it's funny standing on its own as a way for Marvel writers to joke about how everything they do has to have the same ending. A bit self-deprecating and I hope a lot of "we're much more talented than big climax CG battles".

But when you set up that joke your payoff can't be "flash forward to everything after the climax". The jokes about budget were just tacky too, like it's all Twitter-tier media criticism come to life. Baby's first media criticism: the episode.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Maxx said:

Kevin Bacon in the MCU?

Man, 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon just got so much easier

• Haha 1

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is Simon Williams aka Wonder Man, according to Variety. Getting his own Disney+ show - it's produced by Destin Daniel Cretton, and is likely to direct an episode (probably the pilot).

Oh yeah - there's a Vision series coming to Disney+ too, as reported by Variety.

I'm surprised Jac Schaeffer isn't involved in Wonder Man, since she's doing stuff with Agatha and The Vision series (and obviously did WandaVision). She's got her own little Wanda centric universe going on, seemingly.

11 hours ago, tristy said:

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is Simon Williams aka Wonder Man, according to Variety. Getting his own Disney+ show - it's produced by Destin Daniel Cretton, and is likely to direct an episode (probably the pilot).

Oh yeah - there's a Vision series coming to Disney+ too, as reported by Variety.

I'm surprised Jac Schaeffer isn't involved in Wonder Man, since she's doing stuff with Agatha and The Vision series (and obviously did WandaVision). She's got her own little Wanda centric universe going on, seemingly.

I've seen bits like this leaking out recently. When is the next known time Disney / Marvel is holding any promo events? 

ComicCon 2023, since D23 has already came and went. There’s always the possibility they just announce stuff randomly too, like when they did it on a Tuesday morning for Phase 3.

If an outlet like Deadline, Variety or Hollywood Reporter puts out a story like this, it’s true. They’re reputable show business news outlets.

• 4 weeks later...

It was a lot of fun, and I'm someone who despises Christmas, especially in November.

Spoiler

Making Mantis the sister of Quill is a fun decision, but the highlight is everything involving Cosmo. She is the best dog, yes she is, such a good dog.

I also love how Kingo is the only Eternal anyone wants to reference in other projects, probably because Kumail Nanjiani is universally loved.

• 4 weeks later...

boy uh glad I forced myself to finish Ms. Marvel before coming into this thread, that's awful

Yeah, anyway, it should have been a movie. It really had me for a couple episodes, the visual style was really fun and by and large I think they captured all of the characters really well (didn't really like how they adapted Zoe and basically sanded off all her rough edges, I imagine in part because they weren't planning on spending much time at school and wanted to get to her being part of the group as quick as possible). But as it went on I just kind of lost all interest. In some ways it's actually kind of faithful to GWW's original run on the series because that comic got by on sheer charm and likability and IMO doesn't really have any really amazing story arcs but unfortunately the charm and visual flair wears off around the midpoint and it's just kind of standard MCU "oh no, there's a portal and it's DANGEROUS" shit for a while there.

Feels like there's this general mandate for all of Marvel phase four that the US government are being set up as a major problem and while I generally like that, it kind of sucks seeing Damage Control turned into a generic Homeland Security thing here and Stewy from Succession and the warden from Orange is the New Black are just kind of there. I wish Marvel would get over this idea that's latched into their brains that a villain's motivations are more important than their personality traits, it happens all too often and while it does prevent the trap of audiences going to see the villains more than actually caring about the heroes it's just kind of draining, especially in a six-hour show.

• 2 months later...

hey this thread is still good for 2023, right?

Hollywood Reporter confirmed today that Jon Bernthal is returning as the Punisher in Daredevil: Born Again.

However - Deborah Ann Woll & Elden Henson aren’t coming back. Don’t know if Karen & Foggy are being recast, or just won’t be in the show at all, but those two actors aren’t in the MCU show.

• Sad 1

Unless it's specifically set somewhere outside of New York and is kind of a fish out of water deal, not having Foggy and Karen there is a huge minus for me. Especially Foggy, given that unlike Karen nearly every era of Daredevil in the comics still has Foggy as a very present character. I'd much sooner have them back than Jon Bernthal if it was a one or the other deal (which it obviously isn't).

Also the season being eighteen episodes long... boy, that's a big ask given how rarely Marvel TV shows justify their length.