The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

The last 5 minutes really confused me for continuity reasons, hopefully it's explained in the next episode.

Spoiler

Is that footage of the Abomination/Wong fight old? It'd have to be, right? Bruce's arm was fucked up still in the post-credits scene, and it's fixed by the time we see him in Episode 1 of this. Plus Wong took Emil back to his cell after their fight. I don't know, I'm a little confused with that, Jennifer's reaction makes it seem like the fight is recent, but it couldn't be. Maybe Emil escaped, again? Someone helped him?

Oh and they're totally going to introduce Skaar in this show, aren't they?

I do like it when these shows/movies have little world building bits, like how do the Avengers survive if they don't get paid for what they do. F&TWS brought this up too. I mean, none of them are POOR, but they aren't Tony Stark rich either. I wish we could get a definitive answer for stuff like this, lol. Although, with Ms. Marvel introducing Marvel branded merch during the AvengerCon episode, my head canon is that they license their image to companies, like Marvel, and make money that way. Toys, comics, shirts, book deals, TV appearances, etc.

1 hour ago, tristy said:

The last 5 minutes really confused me for continuity reasons, hopefully it's explained in the next episode.

Reveal hidden contents

Is that footage of the Abomination/Wong fight old? It'd have to be, right? Bruce's arm was fucked up still in the post-credits scene, and it's fixed by the time we see him in Episode 1 of this. Plus Wong took Emil back to his cell after their fight. I don't know, I'm a little confused with that, Jennifer's reaction makes it seem like the fight is recent, but it couldn't be. Maybe Emil escaped, again? Someone helped him?

Oh and they're totally going to introduce Skaar in this show, aren't they?

I do like it when these shows/movies have little world building bits, like how do the Avengers survive if they don't get paid for what they do. F&TWS brought this up too. I mean, none of them are POOR, but they aren't Tony Stark rich either. I wish we could get a definitive answer for stuff like this, lol. Although, with Ms. Marvel introducing Marvel branded merch during the AvengerCon episode, my head canon is that they license their image to companies, like Marvel, and make money that way. Toys, comics, shirts, book deals, TV appearances, etc.

Spoiler

I believe the reporter called it "leaked footage" not a live feed or something even recorded recently. I'm assuming we'll see that it happened in the past due to the timeline issues and was just recently leaked to the media just in time for his parole hearing.

3 hours ago, tristy said:

The Avengers don't exist anymore, but when they did Stark paid them, and then presumably the UN. I thought that line was dumb, because it's the kind of shallow joke someone who is aware of the Marvel movies but doesn't really watch them would make - not someone who exists in the same reality as them.

Really, any time the MCU addresses the concept of "superheroes" as a societal thing, it's always really lazy and makes no sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Best episode of She-Hulk yet. Pug is the fuckin' man. I'm constantly amazed at how Marvel introduces side characters that are so likeable. And that tease at the end of the episode will make people excited for next week, I'd imagine. Not a whole lot in the way of advancing the idea that Jennifer Walters is now a superhero, I imagine we're ramping up to that, but it was a fun little 25 or so minute episode that was just silly and fun.

Also, look at the stylized credits when Pug's character appears on them. There are some fun little easter eggs of other heroes in there.

Spoiler

Not currently in the MCU that have limited edition sneakers: The Thing, Cable, Deadpool and Cyclops. I couldn't make out that much more.

That's a really good point. I'm only 3 episodes in, but it feels like I'm watching something fun rather than a film stretched out to 6 hours where the only real developments happen in the last two minutes.

Random question, one of the journalists outside of the prison pronounced furore "fuhrer". Is that a thing? It was a tad jarring.

• 2 weeks later...

E7 was quite fun, even if it didn't further the plot that much.

Spoiler

The newly reformed Abomination is a delight, even if I'm still expecting Val to show up to recruit him at the end of the series. All the minor comic book characters they brought in were great as well.

The Josh reveal was very much expected, which does lead into my minor criticism of a lot of this - it's very difficult to buy that nobody in the MCU is attracted to the very attractive Jen Walters in Tatiana Maslany form unless they're trying to steal her blood.

The Daredevil countdown continues, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

• Like 1

I'm glad as this show has gone on it has stuck to its guns as a weekly sitcom. It hasn't been the most entertaining, some of the jokes and plots don't always land, but it has actually figured out that the TV shows need to be just that. We've griped about much of the shows because they feel like they're movies that weren't deemed "good enough" to be movies so they got sliced and diced into resembling binge TV.

There's an undercurrent of bigger stuff that will get revealed by the end I'm sure and tie into the picture at large, but the best thing I can say about this show is thus far it has been entirely skippable. And that's exactly what MCU TV needs to be.

Really enjoyed Werewolf By Night. It felt aimed directly at me as a love letter to Universal Monsters, Hammer Horror, Mortal Kombat, and janky-ass 70s Marvel monster comics. I just wish they didn't already waste Morbius on that crap Sony deal because he would've been perfect for a similar treatment. Hope they do one of these every Halloween season.

25 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I thought that wasn't out for another week?

It was a surprise Secret Screening at Fantastic Fest in Austin, TX last week. Was cool to see it on the big screen.

7 hours ago, Colly said:

Is it very MCU or is it completely standalone?

Completely standalone, though it will change the landscape in a certain sense. No mid-credits nor after credits stingers during the screening, though I'm curious to see if one gets added for streaming.

• Thanks 1

Oof. So I didn't mind She-Hulk; I mean... it's dumb and bad, but it's just a sitcom, so not a big deal. Quite disappointing that

Spoiler

the MCU Daredevil got dragged into this, though. The Netflix series was leagues better than any of the TV shows Disney+ has put out, and the Spider-Man cameo got me hyped, but this is not it.

Edited by Daniel Bryan