The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

16 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Very surprised it's ended up on D+ proper. Definitely gives me more hope that they'll be working those characters back into the MCU (well, beyond the two of those characters we've already seen turn up in the last six months).

Put Iron Fist cameos in everything now :shifty:

• Like 3

Or, seriously, give Finn Jones another chance under a competent showrunner. The series got noticeably better once Scott fucking Buck was ousted as the showrunner after S1. People dunk on that show way too much, it wasn't THAT bad.

I still don't see the hype around Daredevil, I just found it boring honestly. But I'll give it a proper watch once it's on D+. I still maintain that Jessica Jones S1 is the best thing Netflix did with their Marvel stuff.

• Like 2

I don't disagree re: Iron Fist. I never bothered with season 2 after season 1 was so dull to me, admittedly, but when he crossed over into other shows or was in Defenders he was perfectly fine. 

Genuinely think the best possible thing that could have happened for Iron Fist, in a weird way, is Shang-Chi happening and blowing up the way it did. I think that would make it easier to hypothetically bring the character back as he is with just the baggage of the first season of that show being extremely blah (I have yet to watch the second). With the right showrunner I'd definitely watch a Power Man and Iron Fist D+ miniseries.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

With the right showrunner I'd definitely watch a Power Man and Iron Fist D+ miniseries.

I was really hoping they'd do a Heros for Hire show, then team up Wing and Misty for a Daughters of the Dragon show

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2022 at 22:05, tristy said:

Or, seriously, give Finn Jones another chance under a competent showrunner. The series got noticeably better once Scott fucking Buck was ousted as the showrunner after S1. People dunk on that show way too much, it wasn't THAT bad.

I still don't see the hype around Daredevil, I just found it boring honestly. But I'll give it a proper watch once it's on D+. I still maintain that Jessica Jones S1 is the best thing Netflix did with their Marvel stuff.

Jessica Jones S1 is absolutely the best thing Netflix/Marvel did. Then, sadly, they produced 2 more seasons that got worse and worse. S3 was almost unwatchable. 

Daredevil was still the best series though. S1 and S3 are masterclasses, and even though S2 overall isn't as strong, it's still got The Punisher arc in the first part to still be amazing.

• Like 1

Season 3 of Daredevil was the best thing they made imo. 

June 8th

I'm not hating the powers now that I've seen them (somewhat) in live action. The vibes and presentation of this trailer is awesome, too.

But that last shot, man. Yes. I'm in, 100%. Ms. Marvel is my favorite character so I was already going to watch this, but that trailer got me hyped as fuck.

Edited by tristy

I like the move.  Stretchy powers don't look good, and with Fantastic Four on the way you'll have a character who only does that.  Plus the change has her powers looking visually more in line with Captain Marvel's and Photon's, which makes sense as she's going to get tied to them in the next Captain Marvel movie anyways.

I think my one qualm with the trailer is I'm not sold on who they cast as Kamala yet. Some of those line reads were kind of lifeless where she always reads as a character who's bursting with energy to me.

Some of them felt a little flat, but then some of them (like with the, I guess, guidance counselor?) was Iman being 100% Kamala.

I'm okay with the powers and stuff - it doesn't give me Green Lantern vibes so that's good, but if the rumored villains are true then they'll have to tread lightly (and it's already bad enough that the villains aren't even Ms. Marvel ones). The Inventor is right there and is goofy enough for a show like this to fit and be pretty perfect.

On 01/03/2022 at 22:05, tristy said:

I loved Iron Fist, thought it was great throughout. I think I was sold when Danny Rand was upset about profiting of people's misery when he returns to the company. The 

5 hours ago, VerBlue Christmas said:

I loved Iron Fist, thought it was great throughout. I think I was sold when Danny Rand was upset about profiting of people's misery when he returns to the company. The 

The what?  THE WHAT?!

But yea, I remember the scene you were talking about.  Made me like him, but the first season was not that good.

Vastly imrpoved in S2 though

I don't know where The came from.

I think when I watched Season 1 I had been eating a lot of edibles so everything seemed deeper to me. 

I'd probably go with Daredevil overall as my favorite. Season 1 of Jessica Jones was great, as was Season 1 of Luke Cage. 

I liked everything Punisher, but he's always been one of my favorites. 

The more I look back on the standalone series of The Punisher, the more 'eh' I have gotten with some of the roads they walked with the character. I liked the young sidekick girl, but it made the show a bit confusingly toothless in places where someone like Frank Castle would've pulled the trigger on someone regardless of his heart strings being tugged. (Mainly thinking about where he got talked about killing a pedophile, just because they gave them some information.)

Frank Castle is a tough character to write proper, but I do feel they hit more than they missed with him, and it's definitely better than how he gets portrayed in the comics.

But as a friend once debated with me, Frank Castle shouldn't really be a character with a happy ending or who becomes 'good', he's a character who keeps getting darker and darker about his punisher-ing that at a certain point he loses his humanity fully and someone has to put him down for good.

Most of his stories should be about how indiscriminately killing everyone who does bad isn't a good thing, and I feel the series kinda made it an 'ok-thing'? After all, you root for Frank because he kills evil people, he's the guy that doesn't care for justice or any of that shit and merely doles out blind punishment because Frank Castle is a broken man whose only trait is that he can kill real good and he's too tough to die.

By humanizing Frank, you get a more relateable character and one that is easier to sell to a viewing audience. But also one who makes the actual heroes look bad because of their empathy. Because Matt Murdock lets criminals live to bring them to justice, rather than blowing their brains across the wall. But in a world where you have a guy that gets away with it like Frank Castle, that makes Matt look like a dumbass, especially when those same criminals walk the streets soon after like the Kingpin.

It's the same debate as say Batman, in a sense. But Frank Castle, to me, should honestly be a story about a man who poisons everything around him and is a steady line going down straight to hell. Kinda like Walter White in a sense, where you start out rooting for him, but slowly realizing how big of a monster he truly is.

In that sense, I liked Castle much better the way he was in Daredevil, less constrained by writers needing to demystify him, and where he could be presented much darker.

Anyways, I don't know where this random rant came from. Just felt like philosophizing it all.

• 2 weeks later...