The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

On 06/10/2021 at 19:35, Orange CLDY said:

Soooo.. (What If?)

Hide contents

Who was in the HYDRA Stomper armor in the mid-credits scene, Steve? He never turned back up after he went missing in episode 1, right?

I did wonder if...

Spoiler

potentially The Watcher had intervened there too? He sent Captain Carter back, but as a thank you for helping out, also sent her a Steve Rogers, but in a way that would be somewhat plausible to people who didn't know what she'd just been through?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ms. Marvel moved to Summer 2022, presumably to be closer to the release of The Marvels (Dr. Strange 2 was originally supposed to release in the same window as WandaVision, so it makes sense...) Along with a first look at that show, the D+ Day Marvel feature had scenes from She-Hulk and Moon Knight, and an extended clip of the car chase scene from Hawkeye.

They announced X-Men '97 (seemingly a continuation of the original X-Men 1994 cartoon), an animated prequel/origin story for Spider-Man called Freshman Year, an animated Marvel Zombies show, a spin-off for Echo (who'll be introduced in Hawkeye) and another spin-off, for Agatha Harkness, called House of Harkness. And (re)confirmed second seasons for What If and Loki.

And they showed Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury from Secret Invasion. No eye patch, grey beard.

Edited by tristy

• 2 weeks later...

Hawkeye is real fun stuff, I like it a lot. Haliee as Kate Bishop is note perfect casting. Tony Dalton is awesome, too.

Oh, and (episode 2 spoilers):

Spoiler

Echo! I wonder if Ronin during the Snap killed her father, instead of Kingpin. I still think the introduction of Echo, and her TV show, is a gateway for some Daredevil characters to appear (not in this). Although, I do expect Kingpin to make an appearance, probably in the season finale I'd imagine.

I thought the first two were alright. The tone's quite weird, but it was fun when it going into a good flow.

Spoiler

You have Clint coming to terms with the death of three of his friends, wrestling with psychological trauma but the whole thing is mostly just a fun bit of farce so far. As ever, I don't think they go far enough with either, the opening two episodes were alright; at best a good bit of fun, at worst just a bit bland. 

I'm sure we'll have an element of Clint realising that he uses humour to deflect from confronting his problems etc. 

Hope the first two episodes were just helping it find its feet and then the next four really take off and find its direction. I went into Hawkeye knowing it probably won't be the TV show I want Marvel to make in terms of it being the one to take risks, so went in just hoping or escapism - so I really just hope it amps up the fun because I'm quite up for a good old fashioned romp / Marvel Chirstmas-set show.

Honestly, I don't think there's any Marvel movie or TV show that's going to take the kind of risks you want it to take and going into every new show/movie hoping "this is gonna be the one", you're kinda setting yourself up for disappointment. I feel like Hawkeye is primarily a vehicle to introduce Kate Bishop & for the torch to be passed along, not too dissimilar to what the Falcon & Winter Soldier TV series did with Falcon and Captain America. My expectations for it are pretty much "fun Marvel/D+ show for the holidays" and not much else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There might still be a D+ show that does take creative risks but it's unlikely. Disney is just not that kind of company as a whole and entities like Marvel Studios or Lucasfilm are going to be largely directed to avoid true risks.

But at least with D+ they can isolate something in its own ecosystem and go wild, so the potential is always there. But as each successive work is supposed to grow out of the last it's unlikely. Maybe once the platform is more firmly rooted and has a steady stream of content like Netflix they'll give someone the chance to go wild. But any show whose purpose is ostensibly to introduce new characters and/or pass the torch (which essentially all the current batch of TV shows have sought to do) is definitely not going to take creative risks. 

I've liked it thus far, it's also partly based off my favourite comic run of Hawkeye so that helps in my enjoyment.

I feel this is finally them having nailed down what they want Clint Barton to be, grumpy/traumatized/tired or whatever you will. But generally someone who acts like the world's gone crazy in putting someone like him on a pedestal as a 'world saving hero'.

I feel thus far that Steinfeld as Kate is an inspired casting choice, she's bubbly and naive whilst still hitting all the humorous notes that goes with Kate Bishop the character.

Ultimately, again, going into this I didn't expect it to be earth shattering in any way, but it's more Marvel and it's a spotlight on my favourite Marvel character, so I'm happy they finally get that moment in the sun to be a 'star' even if it's 'just' on Disney+.

Thus far, it has had the strongest start of the Disney+ shows. And by god, 'Rogers: The Musical' is a crime upon humanity.

20 hours ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

Honestly, I don't think there's any Marvel movie or TV show that's going to take the kind of risks you want it to take and going into every new show/movie hoping "this is gonna be the one", you're kinda setting yourself up for disappointment. I feel like Hawkeye is primarily a vehicle to introduce Kate Bishop & for the torch to be passed along, not too dissimilar to what the Falcon & Winter Soldier TV series did with Falcon and Captain America. My expectations for it are pretty much "fun Marvel/D+ show for the holidays" and not much else. 

I dunno, I'm not sure I agree, especially because certain movies have taken risks or have clear identities. Likewise, with the source material. I'll always hold hope that a company that makes so much money will take more creative risks. 

As I said, I went into this hoping it'd just be a fun show for the holidays - but it still seems caught between different ideas and ends up being not enough of either to me.

Rogers: The Musical was easily the most interesting thing in the first two episodes; using something camp and funny to explore trauma is inherently an interesting idea and makes Clint more human and relatable to us, especially because we've only spent a limited amount of time with him over a few movies. And does so in a way that is entertaining and interesting, because who doesn't wanna see more of that musical? But if you're going to do it, follow through with it. 

Which is a flaw of the Disney shows in general, they semi explore stuff, they semi commit. I wouldn't be as fussed about taking risks if the shows themselves didn't sort-of want to explore interesting topics but not really. So yeah, as long as these Marvel shows present ideas and themes in their shows that they don't fully follow up on, I think I'll always go in hoping the next one is the one to get it right. 

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy what I'm presented with - they've got me as a viewer, I'm invested in the MCU - I'll just always hope for more and I don't think that's a problem. 

• Like 1

I guess I don't quite know what "risks" people are expecting? WandaVision spent 6 of 9 of its episodes painstakingly recreating the evolution of the sitcom. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier went well out of its way to shed any alt-right misappropriation of Captain America and explored some of the darker themes from the comics. They're taking chances with formula and audience expectations in a way most corporate entities don't.

Have audiences been conditioned by things like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones (and Attitude Era RAW) to expect big swerves and dramatic character changes? That's been a criticism of comics for as long as I've been alive. Every now and again they'll try to modernize a facet of a character (Clark Kent as newscaster instead of newspaper reporter once newspapers stopped being a part of everyday life, Peter Parker as science teacher instead of student, etc.), but most of the core attributes and relationships remain static. Ed Brubaker made one of the best analogies I've read, that he desired to play with all the toys but put them back in the box when he was done so they were still viable for the next writer.

I think these shows (and films) are fine. They're not really groundbreaking, and most of them will eventually be as forgotten as Bulldog Drummond and Torchy, but fun enough to be worth the price of admission. They're certainly not the death of art or cinema or whatever.

EDIT - Not responding to anyone's specific stance. Just thought if I was going to give my two cents, might as well get full use of the soapbox and give five, especially in regards to the "death of art" nonsense that isn't really a thing here but practically everywhere else on Earth.

Edited by TheRaySays
clarification

I don't think anyone's saying they are (at least not here). I think Jimmy's approaching it from a completely different angle than the rest of us or the average Marvel fan, etc. All I was really getting at with my last post is that Disney and Marvel have a set path, an idea of what they want, where they want to go, a whole plan laid out etc and with that in mind, I really doubt that they'll push the envelope too far. I think that, eventually, they'll get to that place but it won't be for a bit of time yet. 

I enjoyed the first two episodes as well, it's perfectly fine, good TV. I've no idea who the villain in E2 is but it's fine so far. I'm all for a more down to earth, streetwise type of story after all the intergalactic, universe-threatening stuff we've had lately. I've no expectations whatsoever but I'd love if it managed to dovetail with Daredevil somehow, just show us a Charlie Cox cameo or something damn it.

Something I never thought about till seeing Clint with his family and whatnot, has there ever really been any exploring/mention/even oblique reference of what happened to characters who were blipped? Not just Hawkeye I mean, just in the MCU at all? I know they mentioned the effects of people returning in Far From Home but I dont think I recall anything about how those people actually dealt with being dusted, if they were aware of any passage of time, were they resurrected vs were they in the soul stone etc etc.

I think it's been implied if not stated (and the name "The Blip" lends to this) that it was basically as if time didn't move at all for them. It was just a blip, like you blink and suddenly it's years later. Wandavision had Monica reappear in the hospital beside her mother's bed and act as if nothing had changed until people tried to explain what was happening to her.

• Like 1