The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Oh shit "What If..." started?

This is an okay show, but nothing about it tells me I NEED to watch every episode as they come out. I could just as easily forget about this for 10 or however many weeks and just binge it all at once. I might do that, actually. Interesting spins on the existing Cap lore from the MCU we all know. Peggy is fuckin' jacked, too.

I think beyond the episodes that have already been confirmed (T'Challa as Star-Lord, Zombies and Ultron wins) I'm at least somewhat curious as to the other premises they have in store. That's only half the season right there, unless some of these take up more than one episode - but I doubt that happens. Instead of all of them happening in the same alternative universe, I get the feeling we're looking at each episode exploring a different alt. universe each time. 

Honestly tho, at this point, I'm just waiting on the Ms. Marvel show and to see how pissed off it makes me. I don't care about Hawkeye/Clint, but I'm genuinely excited to see Kate Bishop in live action finally.

The main thing I took away from it was that being a good actor doesn't necessarily mean you're a good voice actor, which applies to a few of the main MCU cast here. I'm not sure if cheesy dialogue was what they were going for, but it's what we got.

4 hours ago, tristy said:

This is an okay show, but nothing about it tells me I NEED to watch every episode as they come out. I could just as easily forget about this for 10 or however many weeks and just binge it all at once. I might do that, actually. Interesting spins on the existing Cap lore from the MCU we all know. Peggy is fuckin' jacked, too.

I think beyond the episodes that have already been confirmed (T'Challa as Star-Lord, Zombies and Ultron wins) I'm at least somewhat curious as to the other premises they have in store. That's only half the season right there, unless some of these take up more than one episode - but I doubt that happens. Instead of all of them happening in the same alternative universe, I get the feeling we're looking at each episode exploring a different alt. universe each time. 

Honestly tho, at this point, I'm just waiting on the Ms. Marvel show and to see how pissed off it makes me. I don't care about Hawkeye/Clint, but I'm genuinely excited to see Kate Bishop in live action finally.

The show-runner's great. Have some faith. 

45 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The show-runner's great. Have some faith. 

Gonna be hard to have faith if the rumors are true about what they’ve done with the character. She’s my favorite Marvel hero, so… this might be rough for me.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, tristy said:

Gonna be hard to have faith if the rumors are true about what they’ve done with the character. She’s my favorite Marvel hero, so… this might be rough for me.

It might be rough for you, but I think it could be huge for so many people. The average audience isn't going to live and die on some of the changes, but ultimately you're going to get a whole generation of kids who feel represented by a Muslim-American teenage girl being the hero of a Marvel franchise. 

• Like 4

My two favorite Marvel characters are Baron Zemo and Adam Warlock, so I completely understand the hesitation in wanting to get too excited. Zemo got better in Falcon & The Winter Soldier, but he's nowhere near his comic book counterpart, who is one of the more nuanced and interesting characters in their library.

Warlock has been teased a few times, and I feel like he may play a very large role going forward... I think he'll end up debuting as a villain, only to turn on his creators and lead a new Guardians of the Galaxy... but it's been majorly disappointing up to this point as a fan of his. Again, another character that they can really lean into the shades of grey with.

19 hours ago, Chris2K said:

The main thing I took away from it was that being a good actor doesn't necessarily mean you're a good voice actor, which applies to a few of the main MCU cast here. I'm not sure if cheesy dialogue was what they were going for, but it's what we got.

Totally agree, but so far the effectiveness of the actor goes with their typical roles.

Sebastian Stan and Hayley Atwell are established stars, but I thought gave fairly wooden performances. 

Ross Marquand and Neal McDonough are well known character actors.  They are known more for letting the character speak, rather then themselves.  Ross does a hell of a lot of celebrity impressions

Also, I don't care about Atwells delivery.  I got me more Agent Carter, so I'm happy

On 11/08/2021 at 04:36, Chris2K said:

Yeah, I don't 100% know if it was the performers or the voiceover direction but a lot of the line reads were not great. Like, some lines Hayley Atwell fucking nailed but in other moments it felt like she wasn't really connecting with the scene so much as connecting with the words. I think some of it was probably the writing too, tbf, some of those lines were very cheesy.

I thought it was fine overall but it didn't really go into any places I thought were overwhelmingly interesting. In some ways dealing with her equivalent of Cap getting thawed out and how she fits into an alternate 21st century MCU would be more interesting, I'd probably watch a miniseries or read a comic about that.

18 hours ago, Maxx said:

Possible first look at Moon Knight’s costume, could be bullshit but looks pretty legit

Hide contents

122CD201-1994-4804-A9CC-81FD0614C14A.jpeg

It looks pretty legit, and if it is, I have to say that I am pumped for that. It's almost exactly what I had imagined in my head when they announced the show.

5 hours ago, Gabriel said:

It looks pretty legit, and if it is, I have to say that I am pumped for that. It's almost exactly what I had imagined in my head when they announced the show.

I almost don't want to get my hopes up just in case, but that looks really cool.

Well, holy fuck, that was a lot better than the Captain Carter episode.

Spoiler

T'Challa's Star-Lord is stealing the power stone, and Korath knows who Star-Lord is and wants to join his team because he's a big fan, hahaha. Thanos is a farmer in this universe, after being talked out of using the Infinity Stones by T'Challa. Nebula, Thanos, Taserface, Kraglin, Yondu & T'Challa are the Ravagers, and by the end Cosmo the Space Dog joins them just as T'Challa returns to Wakanda. Peter Quill is presumably killed by Ego at the end of the episode, and the world is on the brink of destruction or whatever.

The Collector using Hela's necrosword, and Korg's arm/fist, as weapons - he also had Captain America's shield. Howard the Duck gets a few minutes of screentime. The Black Order are the Collector's goons, since Thanos turned into a farmer and left behind being evil and stuff. He has an oddly heartwarming relationship with Nebula, where he's constantly embarrassing her by talking about how his Infinity Stones plan wasn't actually mass genocide, but everyone keeps telling him that it actually is.

Edited by tristy

Captain Carter was fine...

Spoiler

I don't know how well it stuck to the characters, though. The bit I found really odd was how they had Howard Stark be one of the soldiers storming the castle, after he made a point of just "pressing buttons" and not being a fighter. The very next scene culminates in....Captain Carter pushing a button to open a gate? And then Stark effortlessly throwing a grenade through a window? It felt like it was set up for Stark to be the one to press the button to riff on that, but then it turns out even though he's not a soldier he's just effortlessly good at it anyway?

I wasn't a big fan of Steve Rogers getting the pseudo Iron Man mech suit, either. Him trying to save the day and still being a hero was a nice touch, because it tells you that it's not being Captain America that makes Steve a hero, it's that he's inherently a good person - but then putting him in a giant robot suit just says he still needs something to make him a hero, whether it's the super serum or the mech. I think it would have been more powerful if he had been in a position to try and risk everything to save the day even though he was just a skinny nobody. 

Other than that, it was nice enough. Animation was great, which helped. 

Really enjoyed episode 2

Spoiler

I found it hilarious that T'Challa just talked Thanos into being a Ravager and everyone just made fun of him for wanting to commit genocide, but he still thought it wasn't technically genocide.  Plus, the ending is just hilarious and a good way for them to turn the "What if T'Challa was Star Lord and did a ton of good across the galaxy" into the worst possible scenario.

I really enjoyed episode 2, it blew episode 1 out of the water in my opinion. The fact that they got almost the entire MCU cast in to voice it probably helped.

Spoiler

I'm going to speculate that the reason they didn't get Dave in to do Drax is something to do with his reaction to James Gunn's initial firing from GOTG3, he wasn't exactly very pro-Disney and this might have been made around the same time.