The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

8 hours ago, Lint said:

My take on the whole Sharon Carter thing

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I've seen some speculation that she's still working with Fury too and that's who she called in the stinger. Wouldn't be the first time he's operated in gray areas. 

Mr. Feige has confirmed that Dr. Strange was going to have a cameo in WandaVision (and was to be the driving force behind the adverts in an attempt to communicate with Wanda), but they cut the idea to avoid the narrative of a white man coming in to save the day.

• Like 2

Apparently the idea was that the in-universe commercials would have been Dr Strange trying to communicate with Wanda, and I really like that idea, but 100% agree with the reasons for not going with it. 

• Like 1

Loki has been moved from Friday, June 11th, to Wednesday, June 9th and each episode will debut on Wednesdays

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I love Loki as a character in the MCU but I'm not sure how I feel about that first episode. Incredibly nitpicky/nerdy whinings, but I think a lot of the lore it's hit out with sort of really undermines whats already happened.

Spoiler

It was said so many times that Thanos, with a full Infinity Gauntlet is the most powerful being in the universe and the stakes were thusly raised for Infinity War/Endgame. If there's an agency powerful enough to immediately and effortlessly render Loki powerless, and they use Infinity Stones as paperweights, what's really to worry about?

It also makes it seem weird that you could have the likes of the Ancient One, or the Asgardians themselves, or Thanos etc all not knowing about the existence of this substantially powerful group. Why should the Ancient One, protector of the literal time stone, be bothered if Hulk takes it to fight Thanos when there's an entire agency dedicated to preventing any shenanigans?

I also really dislike the notion that nobody has any free will but I'm guessing if there's a second Loki variant that's causing havoc in the timelines it sort of shows that people can make their own choices? I trust it'll be explained at some point and Owen Wilson was great so I'll still watch anyway.

I take it the TVA is properly fleshed out and fits in with the comics? Might have enjoyed it more if I had ever heard of them before!

• Like 1

with regards to the power scale question:

Spoiler

I don't know if they're really definitively saying the TVA is more powerful than Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet. Like, at the end of this episode multiple TVA agents appear to be killed with fire. I think it's more a show that they're organized and prepared well enough to, say, handle variants who get their hands on individual Infinity Stones and by their very nature are disinterested in abusing that power for themselves, probably in part because said variants have no way of planning for them.

Thought the episode was fine but mostly table-setting. Owen Wilson seems like he's going to be a lot of fun to watch in this.

• Like 1

I hope Hiddleston breaks out his Owen Wilson impression on the show

• Like 2

I enjoyed it but I can't help feeling like this could be a huge missed opportunity for

Spoiler

the introduction of Kang the Conqueror.  I know he's on the way in the next Antman film but the set up they are giving to the villainous Loki variant would work so perfectly for Kang. 

I'm finding it really difficult to articulate, but my main criticism from that episode is why Loki? It felt you could have slotted pretty much any villain into that story and it would play out the same, if not better.

A literal Asgardian God pulling "this can't be real" reactions doesn't work for me, and it didn't seem to rely on anything unique to his character. Maybe that will change as it goes on, but so far I'm not sold.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2021 at 19:45, Kaney said:

I love Loki as a character in the MCU but I'm not sure how I feel about that first episode. Incredibly nitpicky/nerdy whinings, but I think a lot of the lore it's hit out with sort of really undermines whats already happened.

Reveal hidden contents

It was said so many times that Thanos, with a full Infinity Gauntlet is the most powerful being in the universe and the stakes were thusly raised for Infinity War/Endgame. If there's an agency powerful enough to immediately and effortlessly render Loki powerless, and they use Infinity Stones as paperweights, what's really to worry about?

It also makes it seem weird that you could have the likes of the Ancient One, or the Asgardians themselves, or Thanos etc all not knowing about the existence of this substantially powerful group. Why should the Ancient One, protector of the literal time stone, be bothered if Hulk takes it to fight Thanos when there's an entire agency dedicated to preventing any shenanigans?

I also really dislike the notion that nobody has any free will but I'm guessing if there's a second Loki variant that's causing havoc in the timelines it sort of shows that people can make their own choices? I trust it'll be explained at some point and Owen Wilson was great so I'll still watch anyway.

I tend to agree here, and I also have the opposite problem, which compounds on it:

Spoiler

The TVA enforce a single sacred timeline, which is something that's been decided in advance by space lizards. This isn't just to account for time-travel shenanigans, as the Avengers were able to go into back in time and fuck everything up and it was still "supposed" to happen, but a thing as simple as someone being late for work - with no external multiverse/magic/time-travel influence, it just happens that in their timeline they were late for work when the Time Keepers didn't want them to be - that gets reset and pruned out of existence and no-one will ever even know. Everything is important and controlled.

So... nothing that happens actually matters, because if it's not "supposed" to happen, it'll be undone and the "right" thing will happen, rendering all of the movies and TV shows completely pointless because an external influence is there making sure it was always going to turn out the same way, forcibly if necessary, no matter what any of our heroes did - or do going forward.

Edited by Daniel Bryan