The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

It's really nice going in to tomorrow's Loki finale without over-thinking every last detail, and not having a general idea of what's going to happen. I think it's mainly because the show-runner, cast and crew have largely remained silent and haven't tried feeding breadcrumbs of potential reveals, some of which are deliberately misleading. If that means Marvel have learned from WandaVision then that's great.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Enjoyed it.

We got from A to B and also have a TV show that feels like a big chapter in a much larger story. 

I'm interested to see where and how a second season takes shape. 

Jonathan Majors is such a huge boost to the MCU. 

• Like 1

Finale spoilers:

Spoiler

What a great reveal, I was very much expecting it to be another Loki variant played by Hiddleston or maybe Richard E. Grant, but there's Kang (or I assume, Immortus) front and centre. WandaVision has somehow forced me to lower my expectations for big TV show reveals that when they're actually good it feels even better.

I've never seen Jonathan Majors in anything before, but now I would like to see him in everything.

Really pleased there's going to be a season 2, and beyond hopefully.

The voice clips in the intro were also really nice.

Finale spoilers.

Spoiler

Well I guess we're about to see a whole lot more of Jonathan Majors in the next few phases not just Quantummania. Variants on Nathaniel Richards appearing all over the place also eventually setting up Iron Lad for Young Avengers.

Edited by theshadow
  • Like 1

Finale:

Spoiler

This pretty much proved me wrong about what I think MCU series are doing; based on Wandavision and Falcon & Winter Soldier, I was going into this thinking that nothing substantial will really happen, because they're separate enough from the movies that anyone who just watches the films can get by without missing anything.
The example I always use is that, before the start of Falcon & Winter Soldier, Falcon had been offered the shield, and by the end of the series he's accepted it, so anyone who missed the series isn't going to have actually missed anything. Broadly, the same goes for Wandavision - strip away the high concept idea, and you end up with "Vision is dead and Wanda is still out there somewhere", which is basically the same thing you went in with.

This feels different, though. Kang is clearly going to be a Big Bad moving forward. I thought that Loki would basically be a bit of a primer in how multiverses and alternate timelines work, ahead of the next run of movies properly dealing with that. But it looks like it's been the catalyst for the whole thing.

I'm still not as high on the series as everyone else seems to be - it feels like a particularly good Doctor Who serial; I could picture the whole thing as either a "Doctor returns to Gallifrey" episode, or the TVA as a series-long villain that he fights to expose. Even the pacing and character dynamics are very much along the same lines, and it felt like they had to throw in a Loki/Sylvie fight scene in the last episode just to remind you that, yes, you are watching a Marvel property. 

The downside to that is that I still don't really see why this story needed to be Loki'sas I've been saying since the beginning. In the first episode, it seemed odd to have someone who's a living God and mastered magic and teleportation being so readily perplexed by the TVA, and in the last episode the bit that stood out to me was Sylvie objecting to Kang manipulating innocent people - which feels like a particularly hypocritical thing for any variant of Loki to kick up a fuss about, considering that's kind of his whole deal.

Kang, if indeed Kang it is, was played brilliantly. The right side of bravura villain monologue and Whedon banter without feeling like it was undermining the character just to get some goofy Marvel-ness into the scene. The backstory was great, and still kept ambiguous how true it was. That Kang seemingly welcomed being killed by Sylvie makes me think that was his plan all along, and he knew that being killed there and then would change something significant - I don't think he was trying to prevent a multidimensional war so much as to start one he could win.

The ending. Well. I suppose the question is whether Loki has ended up in a new timeline, or whether their actions significantly changed the current timeline. If so, what else has changed?
Renslayer having left "to find free will" right after saying that the only person with free will is the person in charge makes me think that a more evil, controlling version of her is going to be running the "new" TVA as Kang's right hand woman. 

27 minutes ago, Skummy said:

Finale:

Reveal hidden contents

This pretty much proved me wrong about what I think MCU series are doing; based on Wandavision and Falcon & Winter Soldier, I was going into this thinking that nothing substantial will really happen, because they're separate enough from the movies that anyone who just watches the films can get by without missing anything.
The example I always use is that, before the start of Falcon & Winter Soldier, Falcon had been offered the shield, and by the end of the series he's accepted it, so anyone who missed the series isn't going to have actually missed anything. Broadly, the same goes for Wandavision - strip away the high concept idea, and you end up with "Vision is dead and Wanda is still out there somewhere", which is basically the same thing you went in with.

This feels different, though. Kang is clearly going to be a Big Bad moving forward. I thought that Loki would basically be a bit of a primer in how multiverses and alternate timelines work, ahead of the next run of movies properly dealing with that. But it looks like it's been the catalyst for the whole thing.

I'm still not as high on the series as everyone else seems to be - it feels like a particularly good Doctor Who serial; I could picture the whole thing as either a "Doctor returns to Gallifrey" episode, or the TVA as a series-long villain that he fights to expose. Even the pacing and character dynamics are very much along the same lines, and it felt like they had to throw in a Loki/Sylvie fight scene in the last episode just to remind you that, yes, you are watching a Marvel property. 

The downside to that is that I still don't really see why this story needed to be Loki'sas I've been saying since the beginning. In the first episode, it seemed odd to have someone who's a living God and mastered magic and teleportation being so readily perplexed by the TVA, and in the last episode the bit that stood out to me was Sylvie objecting to Kang manipulating innocent people - which feels like a particularly hypocritical thing for any variant of Loki to kick up a fuss about, considering that's kind of his whole deal.

Kang, if indeed Kang it is, was played brilliantly. The right side of bravura villain monologue and Whedon banter without feeling like it was undermining the character just to get some goofy Marvel-ness into the scene. The backstory was great, and still kept ambiguous how true it was. That Kang seemingly welcomed being killed by Sylvie makes me think that was his plan all along, and he knew that being killed there and then would change something significant - I don't think he was trying to prevent a multidimensional war so much as to start one he could win.

The ending. Well. I suppose the question is whether Loki has ended up in a new timeline, or whether their actions significantly changed the current timeline. If so, what else has changed?
Renslayer having left "to find free will" right after saying that the only person with free will is the person in charge makes me think that a more evil, controlling version of her is going to be running the "new" TVA as Kang's right hand woman. 

Spoiler

With time working different at the TVA guessing here existing outside of time it is that it's significant change. So a different version of Kang controls the TVA now the multiverse exists and is at war.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some leaked promo artwork of Ms. Marvel seemingly confirms something I was really worried about from reading some leaks/spoilers.

Her powers come from a necklace/wristband, and she doesn't actually shapeshift/embiggen, it's more like Green Lantern type energy projection.

6 hours ago, tristy said:

Some leaked promo artwork of Ms. Marvel seemingly confirms something I was really worried about from reading some leaks/spoilers.

Spoiler

Perhaps she starts the TV show wanting to be a hero admiring Captain Marvel and using this bracelet/kree technology to go about it. Then by the finale is exposed to something that gives her the more comic accurate powers in time for The Marvels movie and saving on budget for the show.

15 hours ago, theshadow said:
  Hide contents

Perhaps she starts the TV show wanting to be a hero admiring Captain Marvel and using this bracelet/kree technology to go about it. Then by the finale is exposed to something that gives her the more comic accurate powers in time for The Marvels movie and saving on budget for the show.

Spoiler

The budgets for these shows are are in line with what a normal MCU movie costs (obviously not Endgame levels, but yeah)

Edited by tristy

1 hour ago, tristy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The budgets for these shows are are in line with what a normal MCU movie costs (obviously not Endgame levels, but yeah)

Spoiler

It's true the D+ show budgets seem to be on par with the movies however busting out the stretchy powers 2 or 3 times in an ensemble movie would serve it's purpose but only being able to do it three times in 10 episodes would be disappointing.