The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

While I really enjoyed the epsiode Lamentis (just bolding that so people have a benchmark)

I think the last couple of minutes really tried to re-create the whole Netflix Marvel series "One Shot" fight scene, but obviously with more then one cut, and much more CGI.

I did really like it though

I did think the most recent episode was probably the best one so far as it kind of started to have payoff for the heaping helpings of exposition we've been given so far.

Spoiler

Obviously they're getting out of this situation in some way or another. There isn't the tension at the end of the episode I think they'd normally hope for.

I am interested in them peeling back a bit more about the TVA being malicious vs benevolent. If everyone who works there is a variant then it makes it certain their goal isn't the flow of time but instead some level of control over humanity. It'll be fun to see where they take this.

I've been reading rumors and watching some videos of possible plot points after each episode and this is where have come to after episode 3 so far. 

Spoiler

The biggest one being the current episode is them being trapped in the mind of Loki. If you realize he knew Latin and break down LAMENTIS then it roughly comes out to The Mind. So maybe Lady Loki was able to trick him when she grabbed him and is slowly winning him over to only be revealed at some point in the next episode?

13 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

There is an after credits scene. It made no sense to me.

Spoiler

All three are variant Lokis. Presumably "pruned" variants don't die, they're just sent somewhere else. This is probably an alternative New York - likely where we get "Loki for President" from all the teasers leading up to this show.

Richard E. Grant looks fuckin' ridiculous and I'm here for it.

Edited by tristy

Spoiler

Lady Sif!

Mobius :(!

Loki :(:(!

Into the Lokiverse?!

Great episode. Confused about a lot of things though, did I miss something happening with Sylvie's mass bombing? I remember the TVA panicking cos there were loads of branches and shit but then i don't remember that being dealt with.

I get that pruning doesn't seem to kill someone, but before that I was like why would anyone bother with a stabby pointy end of your stick-that-kills-whatever-it-touches?

I'm surprised there wasn't any shenanigans over the Lamentis adventure. It seemed fairly certain the whole immediate doom thing was going to be a mindfuck by one of the Lokis, but it ended up playing straight. Loki straight up caught a falling building and psychically rebuilt it in that episode, which is a new thing.

Really looking forward to Old Man Loki, Kid Loki and presumably President Loki. Surely Mobius must be alive too which is good cos Owen Wilson is killing it.

Spoiler

The after credits scene was basically right out of Rick & Morty.

Overall this show hasn't resolved my biggest gripe with the Marvel Disney+ shows in that they're largely just super long movies. When they're released week to week it really sticks out as such. A small cast of characters going on a long, connected adventure vs having a large cast of characters and multiple plotlines. It's fine but I'm getting a tad disappointed we don't see the side characters unless they enhance the plot of the main ones.

This episode decisively wrapped up Act 2 of our story. I thought it was really fun overall and basically flew by. While it had long been assumed it's obvious now the Timekeepers didn't do anything about the multiverse and divergent timelines but instead have basically sought to let those exist wholly separately from the one they're (or he or she, whomever) is trying to dictate the events of. Will be interesting to see who is behind all this and what their core motivation is.

On 30/06/2021 at 15:55, Kaney said:
  Hide contents

Great episode. Confused about a lot of things though, did I miss something happening with Sylvie's mass bombing? I remember the TVA panicking cos there were loads of branches and shit but then i don't remember that being dealt with.

t

This is my question as well, and they haven't mentioned it at all since the end of Episode 2 as far as I know.

5 hours ago, Maxx said:

This is my question as well, and they haven't mentioned it at all since the end of Episode 2 as far as I know.

Spoiler

I assume it was a fake-out to get all of the agents out of the TVA so she could go there and get access to the golden elevator or whatever it's called.

I really digged that episode. Richard E Grant was having the time of his life.

After a bumpy start, and some characterisation that I don't think has worked all that much for me, the last episode or two have really fallen into "Marvel does Doctor Who" territory, and I've enjoyed it.

Spoiler

Establishing that the TVA aren't all they seemed was the first step to making this show good, and while I don't think the way (the main) Loki is portrayed in this series is really consistent with how Loki has been portrayed throughout the MCU, and does feel a bit like Tom Hiddleston doing a Doctor Who audition tape, it's been enjoyable. Some of the dialogue is still a little too cute for my liking, but never as bad as the buddy cop stuff in Falcon & Winter Soldier.

I'm seeing a lot of big predictions for who the Man Behind The Curtain will be, mostly ones that would have pretty serious implications for the MCU. I'm still convinced that nothing happening in the TV shows will ever significantly affect the movies - if you watched Endgame, you'd have seen Falcon was offered the shield, and by the end of Falcon & Winter Soldier he's got the shield and is happy to be Captain America, so if you never saw the series and just went straight into the next movie, you'd never know there was any kind of moral dilemma or character development in the interim - so I don't think the Man Behind The Curtain will be a gamechanger in any real way.

My prediction is that it's another Loki. That of all the Lokis looking for a realm to rule, he's found the world behind the void and is ruling over it, and somehow required the TVA to either get him there or that he needed to bring one of the other Lokis to him. I already think that Sylvie isn't making it out of the series alive, I'm starting to think maybe the main Loki isn't either, and that it'll be Man Behind The Curtain supervillain Loki that survives, or at least that there'll be some ambiguity as to which one it is.

• Like 1

Spoiler

While I'm trying to avoid the rampant speculation I do have to agree with Skummy that whoever is pulling the strings is important to this contained storyline and probably nowhere else. Maybe they pop up in a movie in passing but in a way where no further explanation about them is needed. Or as one of those Easter eggs they love doing.

The episode was really good and I enjoy it when the actors themselves are clearly enjoying themselves. I will say that the fact the end of time seems to be rife with Lokis and more Lokis feels like a red herring vs a red flag. But who knows. Again since the stakes of this show are likely contained to this show this won't be the introduction of a megavillain.

• Like 1