The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Today's episode felt generally more cohesive that what came previously. Almost feels like eps 2 and 3 could have done with a 3rd episode to spread out everything it covered. But yeah, the 4th episode was much more focused and quite enjoyable. Feel this shows gonna end up scarping a 3/5 overall type thing. 

That was a much better episode than last.

Spoiler

The irony of the flag smasher who told Karli that he looked up to Captain America as a kid, only to be killed by Cap's shield is fucked up.

Sam is really showing why hes a better fit for the role of new Cap, while Zemo was great again. Have absolutely no idea what his game is, but it was great to see him stick to his principles and destroy the serum as soon as he got a chance.

Still feels like its too few episodes left to wrap everything up but it's enjoyable for sure.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Hide contents

Zemo was great again. Have absolutely no idea what his game is, but it was great to see him stick to his principles and destroy the serum as soon as he got a chance.

Spoiler

Zemo wants to destroy the serum and kill everyone involved in making it so no more super soldiers can be made. My guess is now that he has accomplished that goal, he'll try to get the remaining super soldiers to kill each other like he did with Iron Man and Captain America. 

1 hour ago, Kaney said:

Hide contents

The irony of the flag smasher who told Karli that he looked up to Captain America as a kid, only to be killed by Cap's shield is fucked up.

Sam is really showing why hes a better fit for the role of new Cap, while Zemo was great again. Have absolutely no idea what his game is, but it was great to see him stick to his principles and destroy the serum as soon as he got a chance.

Still feels like its too few episodes left to wrap everything up but it's enjoyable for sure.

Spoiler

I fully expect the final episode to be like 90 minutes long, just to get everything wrapped up.

I agree with most people that this episode stayed on track a little better than the rest. There is still a *lot* going on and the show can't commit to Karli and Zemo as this or that. John Walker might be the end boss of this particular show all told. Which I'm fine with, it's just weird to have all these other plotlines involved that may not see payoff until future movies (Am I right in expecting Black Panther 2 for the Zemo stuff to conclude?).

The ending was very powerful, I knew Walker would snap but didn't think he'd snap as violently as he did. It was definitely shocking for a Marvel property.

22 minutes ago, damshow said:
  Hide contents

I fully expect the final episode to be like 90 minutes long, just to get everything wrapped up.

Spoiler

Episode 5 is 61 minutes long with credits so it's certainly possible that the finale is a beefy one.

4 hours ago, damshow said:
  Hide contents

The ending was very powerful, I knew Walker would snap but didn't think he'd snap as violently as he did. It was definitely shocking for a Marvel property.

Seriously...

Spoiler

Standing there with the blood dripping from the shield is some seriously dark stuff.  This episode made me feel a little with sympathetic with Walker.  It really gave a feeling that he's a guy who has seen some shit and is in WAY over his head, trying to live up to a legacy he never can.  After all, how can he live up to "Steve Rogers was willing go stand solo against Thanos and a Chitauri army to save the Universe"?

But damn...then he killed that guy.  Everyone around was taking pictures and video.  The entire world will see "Captain America" seemingly killing someone in cold blood

I had been down on this show, thought it was little on the boring side.  This episode kicked it up

• Like 1

I need to gush about that cameo.

Spoiler

Valentina Allegra de la Fontaine played by motherfucking Julia-Louis Dreyfus. Who the fuck saw that coming? And she's apparently recruiting a team, if her "answer when I call you" line is anything to by. Variety reported during the episode that her character was supposed to debut in Black Widow, so there's that too.

JLD in Marvel properties isn't something I knew I wanted or needed until it happened.

• Like 2

Ep 5:

Spoiler

I watched the episode shortly after I woke up, and when she arrived in the scene I thought "huh, that looks like Julia Louise-Dreyfus, but she wouldn't be in this." Then when we actually got a close-up I thought I was still half-asleep because it looked even more like her, then when I realised it actualy was her I was stunned.

Unfortunately, other than the scene with Isaiah Bradley and JLD's arrival this whole episode felt very water-treading. There's only so much discussion about and actual boat repair I can take.

There is also a mid-credits scene for the first time in the series.

Spoiler

And I greatly appreciated the Iron Man 1 callbacks.

Thoughts on the episode first:

Spoiler

Overall, I felt this episode was a big step back after how intense and fast paced the last couple episodes, it was a bit jarring to go back to this episode 1 style pace.  And I absolutely hate the boat storyline as a whole. I get the character work they're trying to do but there had to be more interesting ways to go about it.  

It's not all bad - the showdown at the start was fantastic. The JLD part was shocking but also good and intruiging. The Zemo/Bucky moment was also a bright spot along with the Isaiah Bradley scene of course.

But that damn boat....

Also Sharon Carter bringing back George St. Pierre's character is a curveball - if she is the Power Broker, why is she now helping the Flag Smashers...something isn't adding up with that, but I assume the motives will be revealed next week.

Now for the cameo theory:

Spoiler

I agree, Val is definitely recruiting and it's very reminiscent of Fury showing up to recruit the original Avengers.  I imagine we're going to see her in a similar capacity in Black Widow for perhaps Florence Pugh's character, again just theorizing here...but I am buying into the Thunderbolts theory and the she is working with General Ross to recruit their own "Suicide Squad-esque" team.

Spoiler

Yeah JLD is going to recruit her own team of villains to battle the next generation of Avengers. Totally down with that. Especially because it's Julia Louis-Dreyfus! She's just the best.

This episode was definitely a whole lot of table-setting. They're not doing a great job of that, almost like they're structuring this show as a film where they've been given twice the time they normally would to get things done. I think the finale will be good.

The scene at the start was our only action but was it produced by Kevin Dunn? Every fucking half second there was a cut. Poorly done. I know Marvel films aren't exemplary in this regard but this one felt noticeably bad.

• Like 2

This episode gave us a training montage and I can't complain

• Haha 1

Totally unrelated but I was thinking about how I hope they bring D'Onofrio back as Fisk at some point. Then I watched that "Good Samaritan" speech he gives in the back of that wagon and fuck, it's so good.

I actually quite enjoyed the latest episode, pacing aside. 

• Like 2

I think the show has some nice ideas, but largely struggles to make them land organically. Kinda feel the dialogue rarely hits, especially the quips and humour. There's been some great one-off imagery (thinking particularly the end of ep 4), but otherwise finding this story a little uninspiring and clean when it should be feeling bold and progressive.