The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Reviews of the first ep of Falcon/Winter Soldier are coming out now. Generally at the 3/5 sort of markm saying its quite clearly a slow build intro and more in line with what you'd probs expect from an MCU property, but by no means bad.

The only review I've read so far is Mashable's, where they say that it "ruins MCU films in a good way". They screened the first episode for review and seemed to really, really like how character-driven it was. 

I can't say this one captivated me as much as WandaVision did from the onset. I mean, I'm really no Captain America fan to begin with.. such a whiny character imo. 

I'm hoping this series helps establish something different going forward. 

Spoiler

I can't say I've seen much of the Captain America series... are we supposed to know who the new Captain is? That wasn't Bucky, right?

So...

Spoiler

Did they just kind of forget there was a military cargo plane flying around on autopilot?  Because doing something about that should've been mentioned

I appreciate what WandaVision did for the first few episodes, but I was much more entertained by Falcon & Winter Soldier's debut episode than anything WandaVision did up until they turned the corner back into traditional MCU territory. Tuning in for 4 or 5 weeks just to see two superheroes cosplaying as sitcom characters didn't really grab me, it was mostly the speculation about what it all meant. This definitely feels like a more fleshed out MCU movie just from the one episode. If I had any kind of self control, I'd wait 6 weeks to binge it all at once, but I don't, because I suspect once it's all finished it'll be like a really long, fun MCU movie. That's not for everyone, some people want them to try new things, others don't care for that MCU formula. I'm firmly in the camp of "don't mess (too much) with what works". WandaVision straddled that line for a few weeks and turned the corner finally.

I liked it too.

Spoiler

I was wondering how they were going to have new Cap be able to really....hang with the Avengers etc since he doesn't have any super soldier serum but it was good to see they've changed it up and show him have no issues using guns. I didn't like how he seemed immediately amazing at using the shield, it was always a big deal that Bucky was able to catch it in The Winter Soldier so eh.

Love the chemistry between Sam and Bucky though, the therapy scene was great. 

I don't care for this at all. 😕 

The "witty banter" between Sam and Bucky is really forced, and their dynamic makes no sense, they're just being crowbarred into this buddy cop thing. In fact, almost nothing that happens in the show makes sense: it's like they know the basic things they want to happen, and then it's just super lazy writing just to get from Point A to Point B.

The action scenes are good, and it seems like it's trying to make some points about white privilege and American imperialism somewhere in there, but the whole thing is just... bad. Real disappointed in this one.

6 hours ago, Daniel Bryan said:

The "witty banter" between Sam and Bucky is really forced, and their dynamic makes no sense, they're just being crowbarred into this buddy cop thing.

I don't think it feels forced, I think Anthony and Sebastian have good chemistry together.  But these are two guys taking barbs at each other like old friends when, in world, they barely know each other.  They were together for a little bit in Civil War, but then Bucky went to Wakanda and Sam went to The Icebox then was on the run with Steve.  They weren't together again until Infinity War where they barely interacted, then they were both dusted.  Any character development they had would've happened off-screen after undoing The Blip (god I hate that name)

Each show, from WandaVision to Hawkeye (jury is out on Loki) is introducing a Young Avenger member (or more than one) - and Secret Invasion has the possibility to do the same. That's exciting. Plus two movies are doing it as well (Ant-Man, Dr. Strange).

4 hours ago, tristy said:

Each show, from WandaVision to Hawkeye (jury is out on Loki) is introducing a Young Avenger member (or more than one) - and Secret Invasion has the possibility to do the same. That's exciting. Plus two movies are doing it as well (Ant-Man, Dr. Strange).

Who was introduced in WV that could pass as a young avenger? Because the only character that I can think up is Monica, and she's in her mid 30s now.

And...

Spoiler

Billy & Tommy were deleted out of existence when Wanda reversed the damage she had done.

Although of course that post-credits spoiler implies she's going to find a way to make them real.

6 hours ago, tristy said:

I'm guessing Secret Invasion and/or She Hulk will bring us Hulkling and while not comic book Young Avengers we have Ms Marvel and Iron Heart. I'm thinking they're also building a Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers mash up like team too with White Vision, Zemo, US Agent, Yelena, Abomination or Red Hulk and maybe a version of Loki

• Like 1