The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

7 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I sadly got spoiled for a general sense of the two biggest developments because like a damn fool I was on Twitter past midnight and the trending topics got me, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Hide contents

the Agatha All Along opening credits is sure to go down as one of my favorite TV moments of the year. Fucking hilarious.

On the bigger picture, I wasn't that into the episode because I don't think they really had a good handle on the mockumentary style. To some extent that's to be expected, I guess, the whole sitcom side of the show has been gradually unraveling in the plot itself, but it does feel to me like the more they get into the meat of the plot the more the unique charm of the early going waned.

Still, that whole part of it feels like it's basically done and we're going to get into just plot/MCU stuff for the rest, that's probably for the best. Like, I don't bother with theorycrafting or even watching clips of what's to come, but there's nowhere left to go with sitcom history, particularly through the lens of the family sitcom which is what these all have been (with the asterisk that this week clearly has The Office in mind nearly as much as it has Modern Family). Unless there's something I'm blanking on the next big family sitcom that defines an era of that medium hasn't really been made yet.

Spoiler

Yeah, they definitely didn't nail the mokumentary stuff, which feels like a shame. They've definitely struggled to balance the sitcom format with the MCU drama as the two worlds have collided. I'm still very much enjoying it, and the reveal this week was what I needed for it to sink its claws into me, but getting there was a little underwhelming. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

So the end credits scene... anyone else thinking that Evan Peters character is actually the Fox Quicksilver and we are going to get a Monica/Quicksilver team up? Agatha for all intents and purposes seems to have used him to do what she wanted, and perhaps Wanda blasting him last episode snapped him out of Agatha’s control? 

Maybe I’m just really hoping for one of the slow motion scenes where he messes with everything

Spoiler

Yeah I think the scene at the very end of the episode is meant to make us think Quicksilver is not on Monica's/Wanda's side. Give us the good cliffhanger and then tension early on in the episode next week until we find out they're working together and it's all Agatha and Hayward (or maybe "Hayward" is more accurate).

33 minutes ago, arwrestling said:

I'm wondering if the show is going to be a one season thing, or if it is planned to come back for a second season? 

I've take it that all of them are one-shots for now, but that some might get sequels depending on response etc. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, arwrestling said:

I'm wondering if the show is going to be a one season thing, or if it is planned to come back for a second season? 

It would seem like Marvel is positioning these shows to be like a limited series like in the comics, as opposed to an ongoing series. That doesn't mean that Wanda and/or Vision can't return for another series, but I wouldn't expect it to be a Season 2. It would more likely be something else entirely.

They seem to be framing these shows as a complete story from start to finish, similar to the movies. They may carry over into other things, but unlike traditional television, I don't believe that they will announce a Season 2 that picks up where Season 1 leaves off.

It's already been established that WandaVision leads into Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, so any loose ends will likely be tied up in those films, negating the need for a continuation of WandaVision as it has been presented.

• Like 2

I think it entirely depends on the characters. I think there's already a season 2 of Loki supposedly in development, but they can easily do another season for Falcon without tying him to Winter Soldier, or a Scarlet Witch season without Vision involved.

It's probably easier to commit to sequels that aren't team-ups or clearly story arc ones though like Secret Invasion and Armor Wars, those are probably one and done but they could do multiple seasons for She-Hulk or Moon Knight, for example.

I'm not denying they should do them, but they can just do other team ups. Do a comedy series with Ant-Man and The Falcon or team Kate Bishop up with The Wasp or something. Just because they might not do WandaVision S2 doesn't mean we can't get another Scarlet Witch team up series. The extra screen time gives them a lot more time to play with to explore chemistry between characters and build on teased partnerships from the films. 

Actually you know what I really want now they've got the rights back? Heroes for Hire. Set it up with Cage and Iron Fist, then they can rotate in all sorts of others.

She-Hulk, Human Torch, Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, Punisher, Spiderman, Dr Strange, and Falcon are all members at some point that they've introduced or will be soon, plus various others.

Things like Armor Wars and Secret Invasion are obviously either limited series (former) or series that lead into other movies (later; Captain Marvel 2). WandaVision is likely a limited series, since its entire purpose was to give an in-universe reason for the multiverse and that story will be finished in Multiverse of Madness. I could see Wanda being a co-star in Dr. Strange movies from now on, and also getting another show. It could go either way.

But stuff like She-Hulk, Moon Knight, Loki, Ms. Marvel and even Hawkeye all have the potential to be multiple season shows, even though some of these characters will branch over into other movies and eventually various team-up movies (but I see stuff like Young Avengers/Champions/whatever being on D+). 

Should the MCU movies and TV threads be combined since they now are actually all tied together?

33 minutes ago, Lint said:

Should the MCU movies and TV threads be combined since they now are actually all tied together?

Personally I'd prefer not, much as I do tend to watch the Marvel movies in cinemas I'm always weeks behind all you first day kids, so scrolling back through the thread to read the spoilers afterwards is hard enough as it is. Add to that a load of TV stuff, plus the fact that I'm not planning on rushing back to a cinema any time soon and that's a lot of content for one thread.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colly said:

Personally I'd prefer not, much as I do tend to watch the Marvel movies in cinemas I'm always weeks behind all you first day kids, so scrolling back through the thread to read the spoilers afterwards is hard enough as it is. Add to that a load of TV stuff, plus the fact that I'm not planning on rushing back to a cinema any time soon and that's a lot of content for one thread.

Very good point

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colly said:

That may well just be me though!

No, you have a good point!  Another issue is, sometimes, the movies come out internationally weeks before they do in the States, so having a combined thread could create issues.