The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

I just started Episode 4, I'll probably post more thoughts when I'm finished it but I just realized something.  Phase 3 I was excited because I knew it was leading to the Avengers vs Thanos.  However, watching WandaVision/Phase 4 hits so different because I'm not really sure what to expect about any of it, even with a lot of the shows/movies being announced.  It is just super exciting and already off to a great start.

Super minor:

Spoiler

Agent Woo pulled out his card using sleight of hand, I hope him and Lang had that dinner and they became friends and he showed him how to do it.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Azazel said:

I just started Episode 4, I'll probably post more thoughts when I'm finished it but I just realized something.  Phase 3 I was excited because I knew it was leading to the Avengers vs Thanos.  However, watching WandaVision/Phase 4 hits so different because I'm not really sure what to expect about any of it, even with a lot of the shows/movies being announced.  It is just super exciting and already off to a great start.

Super minor:

Hide contents

Agent Woo pulled out his card using sleight of hand, I hope him and Lang had that dinner and they became friends and he showed him how to do it.

I had the exact same thought as your spoiler, great wee call back.

3 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Well damn WandaVision...

Hide contents

Wanda has totally stolen Vision's dead body and is using it as a puppet inside her own reality/prison, right?

Also Agnes didn't have a real-world "actor" playing her, strange that.

Fairly sure she was on the board, to the left of the main picture? only Anya wasn’t and they pointed out she was a new person. Don’t know if that meant anything.

2 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

Fairly sure she was on the board, to the left of the main picture? only Anya wasn’t and they pointed out she was a new person. Don’t know if that meant anything.

She's clearly a 5000 year old ex demon.

Spoiler

I really enjoy how they are using side characters from the movie with Monica, Agent Woo and Darcy all having rolls in the show.  I also like how sitcom Wanda and real world Wanda's powers act and look different.

So I just had a shit load of leaked stuff spoiled for me, but I'm fine with it because I want to see the context behind it. But, uh, yeah, be careful out there on Twitter/YouTube/Reddit etc.

There's rumblings on Twitter that Disney are (obviously) filing lawsuits and might drop two episodes next week because of these leaks.

Yeah, very nice ep.

Spoiler

I mean, that's what I assumed was going on from the start, Wanda using this as a way of preserving Vision / working through her grief. It totally works and I'm glad that, even if it's obvious, they've gone this route because it's the most interesting character-wise.

Edited by Jimmy

This series is genuinely so good. I think there was always a question mark after how the Netflix shows ended up but I'm feeling really optimistic about the TV future if they're all going to be this quality. They've perfectly distilled the "event" feel of the films into these and haven't even gone all in yet. Can't wait for the next episode.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

Spoiler

She's on the board as her "character" in the WandaVision show, but she doesn't have the driver's licence/ID card that all the other residents on the board have.

One of the things I have remarked with WandaVision is that the entire format of the story is just perfectly designed for television and something I couldn't see working on the big screen where you need to write an entirely connected story from start to finish.

With every episode, they can play with your expectations, throw in a different style of comedy whilst slowly feeding you (ever increasing) morsels of information about all the mystery surrounding what the heck is going on.

The MCU is still a long way removed from ever being carried by its serialized content like Mandalorian has done for the SWU, but I definitely have been feeling more and more that there's just so much more flexibility in how you approach a story with an 8-10 episode show than a 3 hour blockbuster.

That's not news or anything, but television has always been held back by budget, too many episodes, and not enough material to keep a story from stagnating. (Of course, WandaVision is only at the halfway mark, so they might fall victim to it, too).

But in the past decade or so, those quality issues have slowly been starting to get buffed out. And whilst I have big reservations to Disney's business practices, their work with Disney+ shows have been another step forward in the quality of television. And making (weekly) serialized shows all the more viable and equal to cinema.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Yeah, very nice ep.

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, that's what I assumed was going on from the start, Wanda using this as a way of preserving Vision / working through her grief. It totally works and I'm glad that, even if it's obvious, they've gone this route because it's the most interesting character-wise.

Spoiler

Yeahhhhh I'm willing to bet that's not what's happening here.

Spoiler

I'm usually not the biggest fan of exposition episodes where a ton of things gets explained in quick succession. But I don't think everything we think is going on after this episode actually is, and there's many more twists to come.

Chiefly I don't think the whole "it's all Wanda" revelation is what's going on. It's, like, too forced to really be the entire plot of the show. There's one more layer they haven't gotten to yet. And I bet a lot comes back to Agnes, just based on her role in the early episodes. She feels more important than all the other people of Westview which usually means something.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tristy said:
  Hide contents

Yeahhhhh I'm willing to bet that's not what's happening here.

Spoiler

On some level, I hope it is. It's a super interesting take on grief that we haven't seen in the MCU and actually feels like an interesting character piece. 

These characters haven't really lost people over the course of 30 odd films. And then you have Wanda, who has genuinely lost the two closest people to her. 

I try not to think about where these things are going too much, I'm quite happy to go along for the ride, but on some level I hope it doesn't cop out on dealing with grief. 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jimmy said:
  Hide contents

On some level, I hope it is. It's a super interesting take on grief that we haven't seen in the MCU and actually feels like an interesting character piece. 

These characters haven't really lost people over the course of 30 odd films. And then you have Wanda, who has genuinely lost the two closest people to her. 

I try not to think about where these things are going too much, I'm quite happy to go along for the ride, but on some level I hope it doesn't cop out on dealing with grief. 

Spoiler

I think the story is going to unfold where it's still about Wanda's grief over everything she's lost over the course of her time in the MCU, but I also don't think it's 100% her doing. I think someone is taking advantage of her powers and state of mind - whether that turns out to be Agnes/Agatha Harkness, or Nightmare, or Mephisto or whoever, I don't know. I'd be interested in Wanda as a villain, though, if they went the way of her just completely breaking down and losing her mind. I think Scarlet Witch vs Dr. Strange in his sequel would be pretty dope, personally.

Easy prediction: The twins will make it out of Westview and into the MCU, while Vision is dead, always has been, and will stay dead. Just makes too much sense for that to happen.

I imagine a Young Avengers team with Speed, Wiccan, Kate Bishop, Ms. Marvel, America Chavez and Patriot. Throw that up in a team-up series on Disney+ and I'm in.

Great news, its one of the more interesting bits that deserved a series in my opinion. I've seen criticism online that Black Panther's movie focused too much on the side characters, but if it means they can make the film more Panther-centric and devoted TV time to fleshing out Wakanda they could do some great things with it.