The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

First episode is such a genuine delight, loved it. 

Also totally here for long credits, one of the things I love about Disney+ is that it doesn't skip the credits as quickly as Netflix - the length of credits and subsequent demonstration of the size of production make this era of Marvel TV feel more akin to a cinematic event. 

Genuinely crazy to see this universe transitioning onto TV in the manner it is. 

Re: one of the things in tristy's spoiler cuts

Spoiler

I was definitely trying hard to place whose voice that was because it sounds really familiar. Randall Park would track.

A lot of people seem to think the beekeeper is Swarm, which would be absolutely hilarious. One of the best, most-ridiculous concepts for a supervillain of all time. I can't imagine it's actually him, I think it's probably more just a metaphor of some sort, but if we're getting the Nazi Bees out of all this.. good lord.

anyway, this is great. I loved the little signifier that we were jumping from '50s sitcom conventions to '60s sitcom conventions with Wanda merging their two beds together.

WandaVision

Spoiler

So next week are we going full Brady Bunch with the episode? They basically went I Love Lucy and then Bewitched. Chronologically I always place Brady Bunch right after that but I guess there's a bit of a style gap before we get there.

Overall I've really enjoyed this. Plenty of mystery behind some really fun nods to classic sitcom tropes.

3 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Re: one of the things in tristy's spoiler cuts

Hide contents

I was definitely trying hard to place whose voice that was because it sounds really familiar. Randall Park would track.

A lot of people seem to think the beekeeper is Swarm, which would be absolutely hilarious. One of the best, most-ridiculous concepts for a supervillain of all time. I can't imagine it's actually him, I think it's probably more just a metaphor of some sort, but if we're getting the Nazi Bees out of all this.. good lord.

anyway, this is great. I loved the little signifier that we were jumping from '50s sitcom conventions to '60s sitcom conventions with Wanda merging their two beds together.

Spoiler

the Beekeeper person had a SWORD logo on the suit.

I really enjoyed both episodes, both tonally and the story itself. The little glimpses of creepiness really stand out due to the sitcom setting. There seems to be some negativity online, mainly from people who want everything handed to them on a plate right away and don't want to invest themselves in something they already know the answers to. I think it's some kind of generational thing.

Double spoilers below, first for the episodes, second for a theory.

Spoiler

The best point I've seen so far is that everyone keeps saying "for the children", but there aren't actually any children shown in the town. That would suggest...

Spoiler

...it's being said to encourage Wanda to make herself pregnant in her altered reality, to give birth to Wiccan and Speed, which is exactly the thing that Mephisto would want.

Can’t help but get the feeling that 

Spoiler

AIM is involved.  Their members often look like beekeepers and they use the hexagon a lot, which is the shape that pans out to at the end of each episode 

13 hours ago, Maxx said:

Can’t help but get the feeling that 

Hide contents

AIM is involved.  Their members often look like beekeepers and they use the hexagon a lot, which is the shape that pans out to at the end of each episode 

Spoiler

That's certainly a theory I've seen, but the fact that the Beekeeper has the SWORD logo on his outfit suggests that he at very least isn't related to AIM. I also think at this point bringing back the villainous group from one of the weaker MCU movies that hasn't really been mentioned at all since then wouldn't make much sense.

I read a theory that could be fun - 

Spoiler

If you slow motion the Bewitched style credits there's a bit where Vision floats between the floors of the house. In the floorboards is an odd black shape that looks suspiciously similar to the headgear that Grim Reaper wears. 

2 hours ago, iDOL said:
  Hide contents

Dotty is actually Mephisto

Spoiler/Theory regarding potential villain

I can get behind that. 

Also, is it too obvious that Agnes is...

Spoiler

Agatha Harkness

?

6 hours ago, iDOL said:
  Hide contents

Dotty is actually Mephisto

Spoiler/Theory regarding potential villain

Spoiler

The other popular theory is that she's actually Clea

3 hours ago, DFF said:

I can get behind that. 

Also, is it too obvious that Agnes is...

Hide contents

Agatha Harkness

?

That's probably a safe bet.

WandaVision E3

Spoiler

That glitch was so crazy. I had to stop and rewind to make sure it actually happened, which seems to be what a lot of people did, which links to Wanda literally rewinding the show last week, and my head is hurting and now Wiccan and Speed are here and I have no idea what is going on and AAAAGH.

Agnes' motivation is really confusing me too, obviously deliberately. I can't wait for the next episode.

Finally catching up with the final season of Agent of Shield.

Spoiler

The ending to episode 9...

(big spoiler within)

Spoiler

Enoch :crying::crying:

• Like 2

I think that's the best episode yet, we're slowly but surely getting to the point where things are revealing themselves to us. The last 5 minutes or so of this episode was DARK. Not in any type of overtly way, but just... something really sinister is beneath the surface, it feels like. Either she's being controlled, or Wanda has well and truly lost her goddamn mind and we're going to get a badass villain Scarlet Witch. I like that it could go either way.

Spoiler

Wanda presumably has taken over a small town, and the cast of characters we've met so far are trapped within her warped reality. Except for Geraldine, who we all know now to be Monica Rambeau, Agent of SWORD. It would appear that she infiltrated Wanda's bubble, but was either playing along with everything or is immediately overcome by the warped reality Wanda is casting over the town when she does enter Westview. It seems the citizens know they're being manipulated too, but are scared of Wanda. Maybe Agnes isn't Agatha Harkness? Or maybe she's playing along and blocking everyone from knowing who she really is?

Shit got heavy and semi-dark when Monica mentioned Pietro being killed by Ultron.

Speed & Wiccan are here, and probably here to stay as well. Young Avengers in the MCU is forming quite nicely. I read a theory on Reddit that her accelerated pregnancy wasn't her doing, but Tommy/Speed's powers doing it (and Billy/Wiccan being the cause of the stork and everything that happened during the final moments of the pregnancy).

I thought my internet fucked up for a minute during the part where Vision was first starting to notice something was odd about all of this. The sudden jump/rewind was jarring.

Other random things: The town slogan is "Home is where you make it". Vision quoting Shakespeare describes everything that's going on pretty perfectly. And the HYDRA bath commercial describes Wanda at this moment: "Escape to a world all your own", "Find the goddess within," "When you wanna get away but you don't want to go anywhere."

I know they were going for more of a Brady Bunch/Partridge Family vibe but all the pure sitcom stuff to me had the energy of a Too Many Cooks-esque Adult Swim parody of classic sitcoms. Just something unnerving about it that the first two episodes didn't have outside of the moments that were meant to be unsettling.

(That's a compliment, though, not a complaint.)

• Like 5