The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Teyonah Parris is teasing that people will have their minds blown when the "aerospace engineer" is revealed on WandaVision. Paul Bettany's also saying that he got to work with someone on the show that he's been wanting to work with his whole career.

Spoilers/speculation:

Spoiler

Twitter seems to think this means Reed Richards and for whatever reason, John Krasinski as Reed. Hard pass. Also, I don't think Paul Bettany's been wanting to work with John Krasinski his "whole career", but what do I know? 

Speculation on the aerospace engineer and the comment by Bettany doesn't have to go hand-in-hand in this case. Bettany made that comment weeks before the aerospace engineer thing was even mentioned on the show.

But, in the end, I think Teyonah is just trolling, especially if you've seen today's episode:

Spoiler

There is no reveal for the engineer, it's presented to Monica by a throwaway military officer who is loyal to Monica (and I guess her mother too?).

This week's commercial is interesting if you follow the comics:

Spoiler

"Nexus beings" are people who are the same in every multiverse. Who monitors these people? TVA (Time Variance Authority, as seen in the Loki trailer). Who else are Nexus beings? The Vision. Jean Grey... oh, and Kang the Conqueror.

Also, there's a post credits scene(!):

Spoiler

I'm almost positive Evan Peters isn't MCU or Fox Quicksilver, or any combination of the two. He's the villain who is working with Agatha (or one of them is working for the other). Wanda's line to the kids: "Don't believe anything that man says. He is NOT your Uncle." On the surface, it's just yet another nod to the audience that Wanda knows what's going on here, that's not the Pietro she knows. But I think that's some pretty heavy foreshadowing, personally. And combined with that post credits scene, you can kind of connect the dots as to why he's there all of a sudden. Of course I could be wrong, but it's fun waiting a week to see if I'm right or not.

Oh, and a particular scene towards the end:

Spoiler

The fly and the rabbit. Is that Tommy & Billy, transformed by Agatha? Or... is the fly on the wall actually Mephisto?

Edited by tristy

34 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I just started it and I'm not fully sure what show is being spoofed this episode.

Hide contents

When the milk changed to a carton and had a missing kid on it for some reason I thought it was Seven from Married with Children in the most obscure joke in the history of TV

Spoiler

Mockumentary shows like Modern Family and The Office. 

I sadly got spoiled for a general sense of the two biggest developments because like a damn fool I was on Twitter past midnight and the trending topics got me, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Spoiler

the Agatha All Along opening credits is sure to go down as one of my favorite TV moments of the year. Fucking hilarious.

On the bigger picture, I wasn't that into the episode because I don't think they really had a good handle on the mockumentary style. To some extent that's to be expected, I guess, the whole sitcom side of the show has been gradually unraveling in the plot itself, but it does feel to me like the more they get into the meat of the plot the more the unique charm of the early going waned.

Still, that whole part of it feels like it's basically done and we're going to get into just plot/MCU stuff for the rest, that's probably for the best. Like, I don't bother with theorycrafting or even watching clips of what's to come, but there's nowhere left to go with sitcom history, particularly through the lens of the family sitcom which is what these all have been (with the asterisk that this week clearly has The Office in mind nearly as much as it has Modern Family). Unless there's something I'm blanking on the next big family sitcom that defines an era of that medium hasn't really been made yet.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tristy said:

Oh, and a particular scene towards the end:

Hide contents

The fly and the rabbit. Is that Tommy & Billy, transformed by Agatha? Or... is the fly on the wall actually Mephisto?

Spoiler

I don't think it's the kids. I think the fly idea is interesting, but the bunny was in the episode a few times before the kids were at her place, and even being held by one of them so... 

Kind of a meh episode, but that's to be expected at some point. Didn't make it any less interesting overall, as it just sets up what's to come. But I didn't feel it was particularly well structured as a cohesive episode. 

Spoiler

I'm anticipating the kids to age up again sooner rather than later. Which will be much more interesting... I think now that the sitcom stuff is waning, there's less of a need to have these pre-teens here. 

Agatha was an expected reveal. I assume Evan Peters is Mephisto, but I'm curious to see where they go with is exactly.

I enjoy the Darcy character a lot, but the stuff with her and Vision was really useless overall in this episode and it really disrupted the flow of everything... Cohesion was a big problem this episode, which is not something I've been able to complain a lot about. They've managed to really blend the two clear themes of the show (with the inside the Hex v Outside of it stuff)... but it just did not work here at all. 

I assume Vision dies in the end... which is sad... but where can they go with him if he can't leave the hex? 

I used to be a fan of the Netflix model of "Dump the whole season at once"...but now I kinda prefer the once-a-week model.  I binged both seasons of Titans last weekend and I can't even remember how S2 ended.  I can still remember details of E1 of WandaVision.  I do remember reading somewhere that a problem with the binge model is less retention.

Somehow I can still remember all of Tiger King though

I usually hate watching TV this way when I'm really invested in a show/franchise/whatever, but this is working for me for some reason. Maybe it's because I love Marvel, I don't know. I appreciate that not everything they release is a week-to-week format, though. The Legends recap and the 616 docuseries, for example.

It also benefits them as well, since 2021 is poised to have new Marvel content every week of the year if things continue like this, especially with the announcement of the Assembled documentary (pretty much the Disney Gallery version for the MCU shows). It appears that'll air a week after each show's finale, then the next week is the premiere of a new show.

3 minutes ago, tristy said:

It also benefits them as well, since 2021 is poised to have new Marvel content every week of the year if things continue like this, especially with the announcement of the Assembled documentary (pretty much the Disney Gallery version for the MCU shows). It appears that'll air a week after each show's finale, then the next week is the premiere of a new show.

Yep

f8z8fw5h0vh61.png

• Like 3

Are Black Widow, Shang Chi and Eternals going to be one offs or are they dumping a whole season in a day?  Either way, I get the model, make people pay for Disney+ year round and I do kind of prefer the wait because it builds anticipation.  Some shows are better with the dump and binge method, some are better weekly, like I would hate something like Archer being released once per week.

13 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Are Black Widow, Shang Chi and Eternals going to be one offs or are they dumping a whole season in a day?  Either way, I get the model, make people pay for Disney+ year round and I do kind of prefer the wait because it builds anticipation.  Some shows are better with the dump and binge method, some are better weekly, like I would hate something like Archer being released once per week.

Pretty sure those are movies, that aren't planning on going on Disney+ right away if I am not mistaken. 

Yea, Black Widow, Shang Chi and The Eternals are movies still slated for theatrical release.  If that happens...who knows