The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Gaspard Ulliel, who is probably best known by international audiences for playing a young Hannibal Lecter in Hannibal Rising and who was cast as Midnight Man in Moon Knight, has died after a skiing accident at age 37.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jan/19/gaspard-ulliel-french-actor-dies-skiing-accident

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Sad 1

Man, the trailer dropped only yesterday, and now this happens. This is really shocking and I kinda struggle even trying to comprehend it.

Feels like Heath Ledger passing away prior to TDK or Anton Yelchin passing away prior to Star Trek 3. Just super freaky, super sad too because I run in Marvel RP communities and he was a pretty prominent Gambit fancast for years, so a lot of people I knew were excited to see him show up in this, a different role perhaps, but still intrigue.

Just super sad, all around. And It'll definitely change how I'll see the series when it releases in March.

RIP Gaspard.

I mostly knew him as young Hannibal in Hannibal Rising. And for what it's worth, his performance wasn't the problem of that movie. Apparently he has become quite a big deal in French cinema since then. He was nominated for a César award (they're like the French Academy Awards IIRC) for best actor for his portrayal as fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent in the movie Saint Laurent in 2014 and then won it 2 years later for his role as Louis in It's Only the End of the World. It is a tragedy. 37 is way too young.

19 minutes ago, Colly said:

There's an extent we can forgive that though can't we? He's not actually English, just one of his personalities is, therefore it can have a fucking horrendous accent.

Haha, you think they're gonna go down the route where they actively acknowledge how bad his accent is? 

If you Google Oscar Isaac the top three news results are comparisons to Dick van Dyke's accent in Mary Poppins.

That aside, it does look very interesting. I'm not a big horror fan so I hope they don't lean in to that too much, although I think that's the complete opposite to what most people are looking for.

EDIT: I'm going to assume that's the first time in EWB history that two posts about Dick van Dyke have been posted in the same minute.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, they'll go into the general Disney ecosystem, I imagine. In the States it'll probably be Hulu because other than maybe Iron Fist I can't imagine any of those shows meeting D+'s content guidelines.

Just glad we can gradually get over the ridiculousness of all that stuff not being considered canon, even if they end up picking and choosing a bit.

• Like 1

Yeah Moon Knight is next at the end of March, Doctor Strange 2 is next film-wise and I think comes out the week Moon Knight ends. One of She-Hulk and Ms Marvel will likely come out between Strange 2 and Thor 4 which is in July, but I don't think either series has a release date yet. Those two are in post-production though so will be the next releases.

On 12/02/2022 at 04:20, tristy said:

Agents of SHIELD is leaving too, and I assume that’ll end up on Disney Plus. If they make the Netflix universe cannon, I can see those going there as well.

This is already on D+ in the UK and has been for a while. 

As for canonicity, I think the Netflix lot will be its own section of the multiverse and they'll pick and choose what they want to keep moving forward. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very surprised it's ended up on D+ proper. Definitely gives me more hope that they'll be working those characters back into the MCU (well, beyond the two of those characters we've already seen turn up in the last six months).

• Like 1