The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

Personally I love they've actually given the Mrs. Jarvis an actual character rather than the off-screen presence she had during the entire season 1. On top of that she adds a very fun and plucky presence to an already great cast, and she's a great foil to the prim and proper Jarvis.

Agreed, she's my favourite part of it two episodes in. Her walking in on Jarvis being on top of Peggy and just utterly no-selling it had me in stitches.

Agent Carter spoilers

I love Ana Jarvis.  She's adorable, she's a bright spot, and her accent is so cute

:wub:
  • Like 3

Two weeks in a row Agent Carter aired two episodes and I didn't realize :/

So I kinda spoiled episode 9 for myself because of the opening of 10!

Edit:

So....that was kind of underwhelming, no? 

Screw Peggy/Sousa getting together! Screw Whitney Frost basically going out like nothing! Screw this whole season, as it was less than great.

Also, isn't this the final season of Agent Carter (at least, that's what I've heard)? Which is annoying since...

We'll likely never find out who shot Jack, what the key is for, and get no more Howard or Jarvis!

Ruki, up until the finale: "This has been really good! I like this! I hope this thing happens!"
RUKI, when things don't go how he wanted in the finale: "This season sucked! I hate this!"
:P

• Like 1

I love Agent Carter, but I'm also kinda disappointed in it.  In the beginning, we were told how this show would show the beginning of SHIELD from the SSR.  While I loved seeing Peggy go from telephone girl in flashbacks to kick ass woman every has to answer to, I was also looking forward to seeing SHIELD begin, the Hydra infilitration of SHIELD from the very get-go etc. 

The first season didn't deal with any of that, which was a huge risk since they had no idea if it'd be renewed.  This season also didn't deal with any of that, and again we have no idea if it'll be renewed

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ruki said:

Fuck Sousa!

Hey, he doesn't even watch the show!

I still think Agent Carter has the most interesting set of characters out of any of the 4 MCU TV shows, and maybe including all superhero shows. They're so diverse and have an interesting style, set in an interesting time, that even though Frost became a little stale towards the end of season 2, I still found her slightly compelling and the rest of the cast made up for it. I'm kind of hoping that if we get a season 3, we'll get one where they have to travel back between New York and LA, because I missed some of the New York characters sorely. I hope they never try to create some kind of connection with Agents of SHIELD, I don't want anything shoehorned in or anything like that.

4 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

Hey, he doesn't even watch the show!

I still think Agent Carter has the most interesting set of characters out of any of the 4 MCU TV shows, and maybe including all superhero shows. They're so diverse and have an interesting style, set in an interesting time, that even though Frost became a little stale towards the end of season 2, I still found her slightly compelling and the rest of the cast made up for it. I'm kind of hoping that if we get a season 3, we'll get one where they have to travel back between New York and LA, because I missed some of the New York characters sorely. I hope they never try to create some kind of connection with Agents of SHIELD, I don't want anything shoehorned in or anything like that.

It wouldn't be shoehorned.  They said that Agent Carter would shoiw the beginnings of SHIELD from the SSR

Also, an update on Iron Fist.  I admit he's one of the Marvel characters I know the least about, along with Jessica Jones, but I think @Cloudy was really looking forward to Iron Fist, so he might like this?

The reaction to the news that Finn Jones will be playing Danny Rand in Netflix’s Iron Fist series has been mixed at best—with many people feeling disappointed at the decision to not cast a non-white actor in the role. That debate is about to get a bit more complicated, if this new rumor holds true.

Last week, white actor Finn Jones (best known as Loras Tyrell on Game of Thrones) was cast as Danny … Read more

According to That Hashtag Show—who originally reported on the rumor of Jones’ casting last week, before it was confirmed by Entertainment Weekly shortly after—Iron Fist will enter production in April. Marvel and Netflix are also allegedly on the hunt for an Asian actor to play Shang-Chi, a major supporting role that could (just has been long rumored about the Punisher in Daredevil) see the character get his own Netflix series, depending on fan reaction.

In the comics, Shang-Chi actually predates Iron Fist’s creation by about half a year. He first appeared in December 1973, before Danny debuted in May 1974. An homage to the classic martial arts movies of the era, Shang-Chi has no superpowers, just a complete mastery of the martial arts. Over the years, he’s teamed up with Danny (and largely has been considered a much better fighter than Danny is, even with his superpowers) along with several other Marvel heroes, and he even had his own Secret Wars spinoff series last year.

If this rumor shakes out and Shang-Chi is heading to Iron Fist, then there’s inevitably going to be a lot of conflicted emotions about it. Adding an Asian character, especially in the wake of the decision to keep Iron Fist white, is a welcome move for diversity that is still considerably lacking in Marvel’s cinematic universe.

But at the same, it also renders moot the argument that making Iron Fist Asian or Asian-American would’ve been pandering to a racial stereotype that Marvel actively wanted to avoid. Why not have an Asian or Asian-American Iron Fist alongside Shang-Chi, and have both those characters subvert the stereotypes they were created with? There could’ve been a better way to go about this, and simply adding Shang-Chi in as a compromise won’t stop people from believing that.

1 hour ago, Lint said:

It wouldn't be shoehorned.  They said that Agent Carter would shoiw the beginnings of SHIELD from the SSR

So? They would have to fit in a narrative of how SHIELD was built from whatever they've mentioned in MCU in the past, and that's not as interesting as a female spy in 1940's America. We all know why SHIELD was created, it would just be like any other typical spy show that way, just set in a different era, and have less concentration on Peggy.

• Like 2

Well, less concentration on Peggy is a bad thing no matter what IMO.  She's been one of the most interesting characters in the MCU by far just because of Agent Carter, but we don't know why SHIELD was created at all.  We know there was the SSR during WWII and after, and at some point the SSR became SHIELD.  We also know that, from what Coulson thinss "Someone really wanted our initials to spell SHIELD". 

A third season, following up on the second season finale, plus tying together some loose threads from the first season (they never followed up on the Leviathan organization), ending it there with Peggy, Howard Stark and Sousa dissolving the SSR and forming SHIELD in its place would be a good spot to the end series.  If it gives them a chance to use the Howling Commandos, more power to them

I don't really get the big uproar about the Iron Fist casting. Apart from me not being sure about Loras Tyrell being Iron Fist, wasn't he always white? I mean, from day one, Danny Rand is white, so why would they cast him as Asian? I get the idea that it was an opportunity to cast a non-white actor, but the character is a white-American. If he was cast as Asian, they might've gone the mixed raced route which would've pissed people off for not fully committing or gone "full Asian" and annoyed the fans of the character who don't like characters being screwed around with.

We've got a Luke Cage series coming and really, Marvel should be commended for what they have done with the character from basically a blaxploitation C-list character into a well-rounded character who is probably just outside of the "core" characters like Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor and Captain America. If Marvel suggested a Luke Cage series 15 years ago it would've been laughed at and never, ever get made.

They have made a lot of good moves in trying to add diversity over the last 10 years but they haven't seeped into the public consciousness yet. I doubt anyone outside of the comic book readers would have a clue that Captain America is now a black man who was formerly known as the Falcon or that there are two Spider-Man's, one of which is black. For the record I love Miles Morales, but if they made a new Spider Man film with Peter Parker and made him black I wouldn't like it because that is not Peter Parker. If you want to make a black/Asian superhero film, use black/Asian superheroes like Black Panther, Luke Cage, Miles Morales, Bishop, Blade, Sam Wilson, Jubilee, Storm because those characters are all established enough to carry a film.

I've had this debate with friends a few times: my perspective is that I don't mind as long as race isn't a central part of the character. Like with James Bond, him being a white Englishman with imperialistic overtones is one reason I wouldn't want to see a black Bond. Whereas as far as I can see, Peter Parker's race wouldn't really matter if it changed: the character wouldn't really alter.

I always thought Danny Rand as a mystical martial arts white guy was always part of the innate ridiculousness of the character, especially when it's kind of done "tongue in cheek" like in Matt Fraction's run. 

Edited by Hutch2004