The PS4 thread

9 to 5

I have it on PC. I'm enjoying it but am kind of finding it hard to get going. It's pretty hard to walk around without a chief thingo trying to kill you, so you can be trying to wander to start a mission and then never get there as you get jumped by chief after chief on the way (or one chief manages to call another chief, I've had a few 3on1s).

I have only unlocked the first tier of abilities but it feels like something is missing. I'd happily trade being able to climb walls for having a bat claw and being able to scale and dangle that way. It has an impact on combat as well as you don't really have a quick way to extricate yourself from a situation (again at least not in the early game), so if you end up stumbling across a high level chief then you're pretty much fucked.

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the game, I just wish it was slightly more segregated so if you didn't want to constantly be stumbled upon you didn't need to be. In the long run the chiefs will be what add the replayability and the system is something I'd always wanted in fighting games. But in the early game I'm finding it a hindrance.

I have it on PC. I'm enjoying it but am kind of finding it hard to get going. It's pretty hard to walk around without a chief thingo trying to kill you, so you can be trying to wander to start a mission and then never get there as you get jumped by chief after chief on the way (or one chief manages to call another chief, I've had a few 3on1s).

I have only unlocked the first tier of abilities but it feels like something is missing. I'd happily trade being able to climb walls for having a bat claw and being able to scale and dangle that way. It has an impact on combat as well as you don't really have a quick way to extricate yourself from a situation (again at least not in the early game), so if you end up stumbling across a high level chief then you're pretty much fucked.

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the game, I just wish it was slightly more segregated so if you didn't want to constantly be stumbled upon you didn't need to be. In the long run the chiefs will be what add the replayability and the system is something I'd always wanted in fighting games. But in the early game I'm finding it a hindrance.

Hmm. I haven't really run into this at all - for sure I am running into captains here and there (the best part is when I sneak up on an unsuspecting Orc and go to do a stealth kill only to find out - shit, that was actually an Uruk captain and he's invulnerable to stealth takedowns and he's cocky as shit about stopping me) but a part of the game is knowing when to get your ass out of there when you are overwhelmed. I learnt that quickly - and I know it's meant to be there because it gets acknowledged from time to time. The way to stop that? Get the right runes that will help you last in big encounters like that. Getting away isn't too bad when you can vault over guys and high tail it away.

I'm in a pickle right now where a war chief and like, four captains are all hanging around the damn town which is swarming with enemies and it's hard to isolate and kill one of them.

Shadow of Mordor is so freaking sweet.

Best moment I've had so far: After being slain by some random captain early on, I watched as he moved up through the ranks to being next in line for War Chief status. Decided it was time to end his life so went to take him on. As the battle started, the stronghold's alarm went off, so I found myself swarmed by just about everyone. Racked up a 67 hit combo, slayed them all, then grabbed the info on the War Chief the captain was loyal too before ending him.

This game is way better than I thought they'd pull off for a LOTR spin-off.

I've been having fun with SoM. I have one captain who is a poet so every time he sees me he does a poem. It is wonderful and I decided that he will be the premier war chief.

Also at one point I went to fight a war chief and he brought his 3 body guards and then 3 other captains showed up. It was crazy. Managed to kill a couple and made 3 other run before I was slain.

I just had a battle with ten captains at the same time. I ran into one, he had two friends with him, started running off and found another, his mate joined in, kept running and found another killing a warg with his two friends, and then another two randomly showed up.

Needless to say I got fucking owned, but I knew six of their weaknesses and managed to pick them off pretty easily.

It's so fucking cool when that happens. It's a great anime-esque moment of OH SHIT, HERE'S THIS GUY FROM OUT OF NOWHERE!

You're running along, you get outnumbered by one Captain and his crew, you start to run off... suddenly, some measly looking Orc attacks you in a cutscene and threatens to eat you whole. BAM. Two Captains.

The only shame thus far is that it's almost too easy, now I've got the hang of the combat system I've yet to die, so I'm not seeing as much of the Nemesis system as I'd like. It's fucking awesome when a guy you thought you killed comes back, though. I thought my game was glitching out until I noticed that each time he had worse and worse scars, to the point he eventually he had a bag over his head and his bio read that he can't eat without it hurting.

My favorites so far are the absolute fucking nutjobs, though. You get used to these guys threatening to cut you up and make a stew out of you, so once you run into a Captain that literally just sniffs you with wide open eyes every time he should be talking, it's genuinely freaky.

It was such a great moment.

Nemesis system is kicking my ass some times. I'll get fucked over by some stupid little shit who won't stop throwing things at me, he'll get promoted, then the rest of the scenarios I hadn't played act out. Bunch of people will get promoted and gain strength, losing weaknesses as they increase in power, and it makes it a fuck ton harder to kill them next time round. Makes it all the more satisfying to get revenge later on though.

On the other hand, as soon as I find a guy who's Vulnerable to Ranged, I just shoot him in the head and move on :P

I've also just unlocked the ability to send death threats, and that's a whole other ball game. You send a death threat the same way you can gain intel, and then they go up about five power rankings, get a shit ton of body guards, but you can get epic runes out of it. Just did one that got me poison immunity, which is always handy.

Seriously, this game is so fucking awesome. Everybody should buy it. Now.

I will say that I hate that you need to do story missions to unlock some skills. I've been trying to do as much side stuff as possible to stretch out my time, only doing one or two story missions in the hope of unlocking powers.

Am I right in thinking it's just the missions where you find bits of the Wraith's past that unlock those?

From what I've seen, but I think you can only poison grog barrels through the main story.

I'm over half way through the main story now and there's a lot I haven't done, so I'll probably take a break from it to unlock a load of side stuff.

There's at least 3 that are locked behind missions. Poisoning, riding those giant thingos and brand. I'm not exactly sure of the question, the riding giant lizard things has nothing to do with the Wraith but is a main mission.

Edited by Quom

Played through P.T. last night.

Holy balls. That was horrible.

Like, scary and spooky ooooooooooh? Or bad?

It started so strong for me but kinda turned into a tedious pixel hunt at some point and pissed me off. I really hope that isn't indicative of the final game overall.

Scary and spooky. I loved every minute of it, yeah, bit tedious towards the end when there's literally no hint as to what you should be doing but bloody fantastic all the same.

From what I've seen, but I think you can only poison grog barrels through the main story.

I'm over half way through the main story now and there's a lot I haven't done, so I'll probably take a break from it to unlock a load of side stuff.

There's at least 3 that are locked behind missions. Poisoning, riding those giant thingos and brand. I'm not exactly sure of the question, the riding giant lizard things has nothing to do with the Wraith but is a main mission.

Bare minimum spoilers, basically of a character who's in the game that you meet early on...

So far it seems like I unlock stuff mostly from doing missions for Gollum. There's something like 4-5 mission locked abilities that I've been trying to figure out how far you need to progress to get.