SPOTY 2013

Lineker

Hard to see em give it to Froome after Wiggins already got it last year, although Froome did destroy the Tour this year.

Can see it going to Murray for finally winning the US Open, Henman's been pretty succesful in tennis, at least compared to the predecessors to Mo and Froome/Wiggins.

Has to be Murray this time surely? I really don't like the whole "Personality" thing, just give it to the person who has achieved the most in the calendar year.

I think you're misunderstanding the 'personality' bit, it's not an award for charisma, otherwise Cabaye would win it every year. It really should be renamed Sports Person of the Year.

Yeah I completely agree with you, but the argument I often hear about Murray winning SPOTY is "he has no personality". I have no idea why that should factor into anything.

Has to be Murray this time surely? I really don't like the whole "Personality" thing, just give it to the person who has achieved the most in the calendar year.

I think you're misunderstanding the 'personality' bit, it's not an award for charisma, otherwise Cabaye would win it every year. It really should be renamed Sports Person of the Year.

Ugh so much this. People don't understand that it just means sports person.

Anyway has to be Andy Murray, no one else has done anything notable

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to see em give it to Froome after Wiggins already got it last year, although Froome did destroy the Tour this year.

Can see it going to Murray for finally winning the US Open, Henman's been pretty succesful in tennis, at least compared to the predecessors to Mo and Froome/Wiggins.

Eh? Henman never even made a Slam final. There's several British players who did more than him. Murray has won two Slams and became the first home champion of Wimbledon since before the second world war.

I'd give it to him this year though Farah and Froome shouldn't be too far behind him.

It's a weak year.

Ben Ainslie should get it once, even if it's Ryan Giggs-style. The guy's phenomenal and has been the go-to guy for an Olympics medal for years now.

Chris Froome of course for my cycling bias. He's infinitely more likeable than Bradley Wiggins but he's also more softly spoken, less gobby and doesn't prance around in ridiculous faux-Mod outfits....So probably won't win it.

Caught the last half of that, good show but the bit about last year's phenomenalsporting successes makes me realise how comparatively poor this year has been. I know last year was probably our greatest year ever and this year was never going to live up to it but still....

On the contrary I think this year has been better than we could have hoped for. Last year was the home Olympics, it will probably never, ever be matched when you have that, the first Tour de France winner from these shores ever (spread over a century) and our first Grand Slam Tennis Champion for over 70 years. That is going to be ridiculously hard to be topped ever again.

Yet this year has given us some great moments and achievements that are also very special and for me, it's been better than expected. Murray followed up the US Open by being our first Wimbledon Champion for 77 years, Chris Froome gave us a Tour de France crowning and we won the Ashes in emphatic style. We had some brilliant moments in Athletics at the World Championships and AP McCoy achieved something no jump jockey ever has before. It's been phenomenal.

You are going to be really disappointed next year :P

On the contrary I think this year has been better than we could have hoped for. Last year was the home Olympics, it will probably never, ever be matched when you have that, the first Tour de France winner from these shores ever (spread over a century) and our first Grand Slam Tennis Champion for over 70 years. That is going to be ridiculously hard to be topped ever again.

Yet this year has given us some great moments and achievements that are also very special and for me, it's been better than expected. Murray followed up the US Open by being our first Wimbledon Champion for 77 years, Chris Froome gave us a Tour de France crowning and we won the Ashes in emphatic style. We had some brilliant moments in Athletics at the World Championships and AP McCoy achieved something no jump jockey ever has before. It's been phenomenal.

You are going to be really disappointed next year :P

Why would you say that? There's a freaking World Cup to look forwa.. oh, wait a minute. :pervert:

• Admin
Hillsborough justice campaigner Anne Williams, who died in April, is to be honoured at Sunday's BBC Sports Personality of the Year ceremony.
Anne fought tirelessly for a new inquest into her son Kevin's death in the 1989 football tragedy.
The Helen Rollason Award will be accepted on her behalf by her daughter Sara, son Michael, and brother Danny.
"My mum embodied the very reason this award was created - strength, determination and passion," said Sara.
Anne, who had been suffering from cancer, died aged 60 just days after the annual Hillsborough memorial service at Liverpool's Anfield stadium.
She battled for more than 20 years to overturn an inquest verdict of accidental death on her 15-year-old son.
He was one of 96 Liverpool fans who died in April 1989 at the FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough ground.
The BBC award - named after TV presenter Helen Rollason, who died aged 43 in 1999 after fighting cancer - is given for outstanding achievement in the face of adversity.
It will be presented as part of the Sports Personality show, which will be broadcast live on BBC One from the First Direct Arena in Leeds from 19:40 GMT.
"Her tireless campaigning was driven by the love she had for her son Kevin and her dedication to seeking a new inquest," added Sara. "If anyone triumphed over adversity, it's my mum."
Anne's perseverance, along with fellow campaigners, prompted the creation of the Hillsborough Independent Panel, which led to the original verdicts being quashed by the High Court in December 2012, with new inquests ordered for all who died. The new hearings are due to begin next spring.
At an inquest in 1991, jurors heard that Kevin and 94 others were dead by 15:15 BST, a verdict which his mother never believed and, as a result, she refused to accept his death certificate from the coroner.
Anne, who lived in Chester, tracked down witnesses, one of whom suggested Kevin uttered the word "mum" at about 16:00 BST.
Her calls for a fresh inquest were rejected by attorney generals and the European Court of Human Rights.
But following publication of the panel's report in September 2012, a further appeal by the families of the victims to quash the verdicts was upheld.
Anne, who said she "was never going to give up", travelled to the High Court a year ago to hear the ruling, despite being terminally ill.

• Admin
Former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson will be given a special BBC Sports Personality Diamond award during the show's 60th edition on Sunday.
The Scot, 71, retired in May after 26 years as manager at Old Trafford.
Ferguson won 38 trophies during his time at the club, including 13 league titles, two Champions League crowns, five FA Cups and four League Cups.
Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "Sir Alex's achievements are unique."
She added: "We want to honour and recognise this by celebrating his final incredible year as a manager with this special award."
Ferguson will be presented with the trophy during a programme broadcast live from Leeds on BBC One from 19:40 GMT.
He stood down after helping United secure the 2012-13 Premier League title, with fellow Scot David Moyes taking over.
Slater added: "Sir Alex Ferguson won the Sports Personality Lifetime Achievement award in 2001 after claiming some of the most sought-after trophies in the football world.
"The fact that his success continued for a further decade and more afterwards makes his achievements all the more remarkable. He is someone who has earned the respect of so many both in and outside of football, regardless of their footballing allegiances."
Ferguson's 13th league title at United was the latest chapter in a career which had earlier seen him lead Aberdeen to unprecedented success, including victory in the European Cup Winners' Cup.
He retired after more than 1,500 matches in charge at Old Trafford, 14 years after the unique 1999 Treble of Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League wins, and remains at the club as a director.
In addition to all the silverware, he is credited with developing the careers of famous talents, such as David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.

Just seen the vote percentages and it was beyond a landslide.

Andy Murray 55.96%
Leigh Halfpenny 9.19%
AP McCoy 8.06%
Mo Farah 7.24%
Sir Ben Ainslie 6.71%
Chris Froome 5.20%
Hannah Cockroft 3.64%
Christine Ohuruogu 1.84%
Justin Rose 1.37%
Ian Bell 0.78%
Poor Bell, suffering for the rest of his teams incompetence down under.