January 2014 Transfer Window

stokeriño

Michael Essien's agent has indicated that there's the possibility he could go somewhere in January, even to a Champions League club (he wasn't included in our CL squad and so isn't cup-tied). Maybe somewhere like Schalke or Leverkusen or Galatasaray etc.

Would make sense if we sign Guarin I suppose (which people seem to think is on after Inter's sporting director was a guest at the Bridge for Sunday's game). Essien's playing time is already minimal as it is.

Also, apparently Patrick Bamford has already been confirmed as "too good for League 1" after his 6 month loan at MK Dons and will be spending the second half of the season loaned to Derby County in the Championship.

• Admin
West Ham will complete the signing of teenage striker Jaanai Gordon on 1 January after agreeing a deal with League One side Peterborough. Gordon, 18, impressed during a recent trial with the Hammers, scoring in the Under-18s' victory against Aston Villa and two first-team friendlies. He has played seven senior games for Posh since September 2012.
Aston Villa goalkeeper Shay Given has extended his loan spell at Middlesbrough until 28 February.
Marlon King has parted company with Sheffield United, freeing him up for a January window move.
Sheffield Wednesday have extended the loan spell of Sunderland striker Connor Wickham and centre back Glenn Loovens.

I'd believe the Ibra to Celtic story if his annual salary wasn't greater than Scotland's annual GDP.

• Like 1

As expected, Bertrand Traore has officially joined Chelsea today on a four and a half year contract. The 18 year old Burkina Faso international (11 senior caps thus far) was part of Chelsea's pre-season Asian tour on a trial basis (scoring twice in three games) but could not join the club until after he turned 18 in the autumn.

Meanwhile, Tomas Kalas' agent has indicated that a loan move is likely for the Czech defender, who was part of the senior squad during the first half of the season but injuries precluded him from getting any traction in the side.

José Mourinho has again stated that no new strikers will be signed during the transfer window (which doesn't surprise me), which would suggest that Demba Ba will be staying with the club for the time being.

Newcastle made enquiries about Alexandre Pato. I would be glad if he stayed at Corinthians. The Magpies are also battling with Everton for 24-year-old goalkeeper Alex McCarthy

Arsenal want Real Madrid's Álvaro Morata on loan. Serge Gnabry could also be involved in a loan move, in his case to Wigan.

Liverpool want to sign Barcenola's left-back Martín Montoya.

Man Utd tabled a £30M for Atletico Madrid's Koke. They're also looking at Real Sociedad's Antoine Griezmann, but face tough competition from PSG.

Tomas Rosicky is close to signing with América from MEJICOOOOO

West Ham are looking to sign two players from Everton: John Heitinga and Nikica Jelavic.

Everton boss Roberto Martinez wants to sign Mitchy Batshuayi, labeled as 'The New Lukaku'.

Despite all the arguing about the legitimacy of Raf's rumours, this one at least looks true.

Taken from the BBC Live Feed of today's games:

1448: HEITINGA ON HIS WAY- Fulham v West Ham (1500 GMT)

The window is open, and West Ham boss Sam Allardyce confirms before kick-off that the club are hopeful of finalising a deal to sign Everton defender Johnny Heitinga in the next 24 hours.

He said: "We've had the ok from Everton and we're talking to his agent so hopefully that will happen in the next day or so."

A good signing Hammers fans? Maybe he can play up top?

Reports today that Mourinho has told Mata that he is no longer needed at Chelsea.....

Manager Jose Mourinho has told Juan Mata and Michael Essien that his door is open if they want to leave Chelsea.

Mata reacted furiously to being substituted in Chelsea's 3-0 win over Southampton on New Year's Day.

The Chelsea forward did not shake Mourinho's hand after being withdrawn in the 53rd minute and he flung his arms up in the direction of the touchline, where the Blues boss was standing.

The 25-year-old, who has started just nine Barclays Premier League games this season, had to be calmed down by Michael Essien, who was sat on the bench at the time.

Mourinho claims Mata reacted that way because he was unhappy at the scoreline - which stood at 0-0 when the former Valencia man was substituted.

Mourinho does not want to lose Mata in the transfer window, and he says he would be happy to talk to the player if he is unhappy.

"I want to keep him. I don't want him to go. That is my opinion, my wish, but my door is open," the Chelsea manager said.

"The club's door is open too so when a player wants to speak to us we are there waiting for them.

"If you are asking do you want the club to sell him? I don't want to."

Essien's future at Chelsea was thrown into doubt when his agent suggested that he could leave the London club due to a lack of playing time.

Mourinho, again, stressed he wanted to keep the player, but admitted that he could not offer the play guaranteed first-team football.

"I offer nobody - not Michael, not nobody (guaranteed playing time)," the Portuguese said.

"I understand that players think about national team, the World Cup and playing regularly, but my players have to think of the team before the players. Michael knows that perfectly."

From Sky Sports.

Still find it baffling how a player of Juan Mata's quality isn't one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Reports today that Mourinho has told Mata that he is no longer needed at Chelsea.....

Manager Jose Mourinho has told Juan Mata and Michael Essien that his door is open if they want to leave Chelsea.

Mata reacted furiously to being substituted in Chelsea's 3-0 win over Southampton on New Year's Day.

The Chelsea forward did not shake Mourinho's hand after being withdrawn in the 53rd minute and he flung his arms up in the direction of the touchline, where the Blues boss was standing.

The 25-year-old, who has started just nine Barclays Premier League games this season, had to be calmed down by Michael Essien, who was sat on the bench at the time.

Mourinho claims Mata reacted that way because he was unhappy at the scoreline - which stood at 0-0 when the former Valencia man was substituted.

Mourinho does not want to lose Mata in the transfer window, and he says he would be happy to talk to the player if he is unhappy.

"I want to keep him. I don't want him to go. That is my opinion, my wish, but my door is open," the Chelsea manager said.

"The club's door is open too so when a player wants to speak to us we are there waiting for them.

"If you are asking do you want the club to sell him? I don't want to."

Essien's future at Chelsea was thrown into doubt when his agent suggested that he could leave the London club due to a lack of playing time.

Mourinho, again, stressed he wanted to keep the player, but admitted that he could not offer the play guaranteed first-team football.

"I offer nobody - not Michael, not nobody (guaranteed playing time)," the Portuguese said.

"I understand that players think about national team, the World Cup and playing regularly, but my players have to think of the team before the players. Michael knows that perfectly."

From Sky Sports.

Still find it baffling how a player of Juan Mata's quality isn't one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Funny, he's started six of the eight Premier League games Chelsea played in the last month. Surprised?

Perhaps you're just accepting the narrative handed to you, where "I don't want to sell him" turns into "he's told him he's no longer needed"...

On today's performance he's ranked 4th of our AMs for form, but form is form. He was largely anonymous, got replaced by Oscar who went on to assist two and score another. It happens.

It would make no sense for him to go anywhere in January, but Lord knows it won't stop everyone and their mother assuming it will happen.

Come the summer, then we'll see where we are.