Eurovision 2014

Katsuya

Austria deserved it. It was an incredible performance. And yes, it was a statement that had to be made too.

But what was the statement? There was nothing explicit there, and the fact that some of the perceivedly more 'backwards' nations voted for her can hardly be seen as a victory for tolerance when one of the countries giving her a twelve are making 'time for a shave' jokes.

My house was basically split between Iceland and Austria, and I've basically loved Netherlands more every time I heard that song. I'm pretty set no matter who won, but I do think Austria's was a very good song, and very deserving of doing well.

As if it wasn't clear already, the rest of Europe officially hates us. We actually had a good song this time and we still only came 17th. I don't think going last helped us either but it may not have mattered. I have heard reports that a couple of countries' feeds 'cut out' during Molly's song (Germany, for example) but I'm not sure how true that is

The worst thing about Eurovision is every year the UK audience goes on a rant about how we always suck at it. We came fifth in 2009 and eleventh 2011, we can do well when we actually market ourselves to Europe. Conchita wouldn't have done so well if the effort wasn't put into actually making sure everyone knew who she was. Rebecca Ferguson did so well for us in 2009 because Andrew Lloyd Webber put everything into her media coverage abroad. If we want to win again we need to put the effort in.

Rebecca Ferguson? :lol:

It's probably for the best that the UK didn't win.

I'm technically not even from there for one thing.

Like Celine Dion and Switzerland (iirc)?

The worst thing about Eurovision is every year the UK audience goes on a rant about how we always suck at it. We came fifth in 2009 and eleventh 2011, we can do well when we actually market ourselves to Europe. Conchita wouldn't have done so well if the effort wasn't put into actually making sure everyone knew who she was. Rebecca Ferguson did so well for us in 2009 because Andrew Lloyd Webber put everything into her media coverage abroad. If we want to win again we need to put the effort in.

Legit didn't know what was so funny.

UK is the home of boring, interchangeable singers.

As if it wasn't clear already, the rest of Europe officially hates us. We actually had a good song this time and we still only came 17th. I don't think going last helped us either but it may not have mattered. I have heard reports that a couple of countries' feeds 'cut out' during Molly's song (Germany, for example) but I'm not sure how true that is

I hate that perception. Europe doesn't hate the UK. We don't win because our choice in acts is too Americanised or simply out of touch, while a lot of European countries have retained their individual quirky tastes that translate better to a wider voting audience.

• Like 1

It's probably for the best that the UK didn't win.

I'm technically not even from there for one thing.

Like Celine Dion and Switzerland (iirc)?

Like Katrina and the Waves and the UK. We should bring more foreigners in, fuck UKIP.

I think Molly was at least partly hindered by the lame staging to be honest.

I preface this by saying I really likes Molly's song as a song, but for next year I think it'd be a step in the right direction to get a songwriter in who knows about writing popular songs on the continent. When the UK tries to come up with something it thinks Europe will like it's normally miles off. So getting someone who knows a thing or two about making a song the rest of Europe likes would probably be pretty helpful...

Yeah, I always remember Daz Sampson being interviewed the year Lordi won it saying that he didn't reckon Lordi stood a chance because 'Eurovision is watched by a bunch of grannies who aren't going to vote for that' or something like that. Pretty much epitomised for me how the BBC has no idea what they're doing as far as Eurovision goes.

I think Molly was at least partly hindered by the lame staging to be honest.

I preface this by saying I really likes Molly's song as a song, but for next year I think it'd be a step in the right direction to get a songwriter in who knows about writing popular songs on the continent. When the UK tries to come up with something it thinks Europe will like it's normally miles off. So getting someone who knows a thing or two about making a song the rest of Europe likes would probably be pretty helpful...

Yeah, I always remember Daz Sampson being interviewed the year Lordi won it saying that he didn't reckon Lordi stood a chance because 'Eurovision is watched by a bunch of grannies who aren't going to vote for that' or something like that. Pretty much epitomised for me how the BBC has no idea what they're doing as far as Eurovision goes.

Which made it even more inane when he's there doing a rap with a group of women in school uniform, that'll pander to the granny vote.

Apparently we came 5th on the televote but much, much lower with the juries.

The UK televote put Poland 1st but the jury ranked it last so they got no points. Doesn't seen particularly fair that one.

Odd that wasn't the impression I got from browsing the scores. Seemed like bar a few exceptions (Ireland and Malta) there either wasn't much difference between the fan and judge votes or the judge vote was considerably higher. I didn't really analyse it in any depth though.

I thought we'd done away with juries. Juries shouldn't be allowed - it just leads to the political situations in voting.

Unless they DO keep that to prevent countries from getting upset with their besties for "not voting for them".

If the juries are just deciding who should win, it's far too open to corruption, betting irregularities, countries paying for votes and so on.

I wonder why the UK liked Poland so much.

DhQGETE.gif

euro5r1yne.gif

Nope, beats me.

Poland got it spot on this year. Top work Polska!

I hate that perception. Europe doesn't hate the UK. We don't win because our choice in acts is too Americanised or simply out of touch, while a lot of European countries have retained their individual quirky tastes that translate better to a wider voting audience.

Precisely. We keep sending bland pap, like this year's mid-90s bollocks through a Florence & The Machine/Bat For Lashes filter, and people will vote accordingly. The entire presentation of the show this year, half the in-jokes and interval jokes and whatnot were borderline Anglophilic, we're not hated in Europe, we just send shite acts.

I wanted The Netherlands to win, because it was a phenomenal song. Genuinely the sort of thing I would listen to all the time, and I'm glad they did well.

I'm happy Austria won, though. She seemed genuinely incredibly moved by it, and it stands as a political message no matter how clumsy it is. If people remember this year's contest, they'll remember the combination of who won and the booing of Russia - and that's as close to a political statement as you can get away with on a camp bit of nonsense like Eurovision.

I don't know how her act was represented in other countries, and it could very well have been painted as a gimmick, but the performance was superb and I hope the message carried.

But what was the statement? There was nothing explicit there

Personally, I think that's a statement in itself. It was very much a "this is who she is, and we're fine with that". That's more of a statement than if she'd come out doing a sub-Diana Ross "I'm Coming Out" act.