The Summer Transfer Window Thread 2014/15

Lineker

Wait, Remy being falsely accused of gang rape and getting a driving ban is worse than a cheat, proven racist and biter?

Suarez is a much superior player but to say Remy is worse a person to have around is harsh. All he has to do is not get banned for a quarter of the season and he's a role model compared to Suarez.

Indeed, I can't remember any issues whatsoever when he was with us, and given Nasri was dropped from the France squad and he wasn't he clearly isn't seen as an unsettling influence in the national side.

Gylfi Sigurdsson was pulled from playing in the Spurs/Sounders friendly twenty minutes before the match started, and now Ben Davies isn't in Swansea's lineup at all in their friendly vs. Minnesota United. A lot of rumors that Davies is actually in Seattle right now and had his medical today.

• Like 1

Falcao's come out saying he's focussing on rehabbing his injury and isn't thinking about a move anywhere. Of course the story also ended with 'he could just be waiting to prove his fitness before a move' bit.

Definitely seems like a transfer will happen, if only by force of rumour than anything else.

That would be some piece of business for Arsenal at that price even though I suspect it's largely down to Puma that the deal came about at all.

What's this nonsense about the "squad number being assigned". What does that even mean? It's not as if there'll be a fight for the number 45 that Balotelli has been wearing his entire career.

Balotelli to Arsenal for £15.8m is doing the rounds.

Makes the Borini £14m deal look even more ridiculous if it goes through

The fact that Balotelli's wages will many times greater than those of Borini balances it off a little bit, mind.

• Like 1

You sure? I mean whoever is making the offers for the unwashed is clearly a mental.

You sure? I mean whoever is making the offers for the unwashed is clearly a mental.

There's no denying that the Borini fee is loopy. But since it's not out of the question that Balotelli would command at least £100kpw higher wages than Borini (e.g. £50kpw versus £150kpw...yes, I am making these figures up...), then that's nearly an additional £21 million over a four year contract to consider when comparing the two deals.

Nobody really ever considers wages when WEIGHING UP transfer fees though. It's all about the fee itself.

Not sure what 'WEIGHING UP' is doing in capitals, but okay. :shifty:

Yes, I concede that the typical view taken is indeed that myopic. Nonetheless the question of wages can sometimes explain a slightly odd-looking transfer fee, or the difference between two that look similar at face value.

Nobody really ever considers wages when WEIGHING UP transfer fees though. It's all about the fee itself.

Newspapers do. That weigh, they can make 'ridiculous transfer fee PLOT' into 'insane transfer fee RAID'