The Simpsons

Lord Nibbler

The only time I've seen The Simpsons edited over here is when it was on BBC and they'd censor the word "Wankers". I don't know if Channel 4 do that too, but in Ireland The Simpsons is on at the same time on RTE2 and when they show that episode (where Homer becomes the Sanitation Comisioner(sp) is never censored.

My local station that syndicates the simpsons does something that's actually pretty cool- they show 2 episodes in an hour block, the first episode is a newer episode, the second is a classic episode.

And they edited one of my favorite jokes ever to make room for commercials. In one of the Treehouse of Horrors, the one with the 3D animation, Prof. Frink draws a cube on a chalkboard, and everone watching is shocked and aghast at the idea of a 3-dimensional shape.

Guest Preston

My local station that syndicates the simpsons does something that's actually pretty cool- they show 2 episodes in an hour block, the first episode is a newer episode, the second is a classic episode.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple random questions for you all on the Simpsons.

1. Any of you going to get Season 8 on DVD? *Just released today in the US*

2. Did the Season 3 DVDs come with an episode booklet? Mine didn't.

3. What would you all consider to be the last great episode of the Simpsons?

4. What would you consider to be the best episode ever of the Simpsons?

1. Any of you going to get Season 8 on DVD? *Just released today in the US*

No.

Dunno.

New Kids on the Blecch (as awful as that episode title is)

Way too hard to say. Off the top of my head it's Marge versus the Monorail but that's probably not actually what I would consider the best episode ever, it's just the first that comes to mind.

Guest Milpool

One thing I've noticed about The Simpsons is that it ages VERY well.

It always seems like the last 3-4 years of the show were utter crap, then suddenly you're three years down the line and thinking "that wasn't so bad after all".

It could also be that the show has gotten progressively worse, but I remember people absolutely hating season 10/11 stuff, which really doesn't seem that bad anymore.

I don't own any of the DVD sets (yet), so I can't lay claim to the first two questions.

The last great episode was, to me, "Homer's Enemy" back in season eight (which also featured "You Only Move Twice" and "The Springfield Files", for anybody on the fence about the DVD set). In regards to the best episode of The Simpsons? For myself, it's easily the fifth "Treehouse Of Horror".

Homer: "No TV or beer make Homer something something..."

Marge: "...go crazy?"

Homer: "DON'T MIND IF I DO!!!"

The best season 8 episode to me is "Homer's Phobia".

To answer the questions...

1. As soon as I get back from State College.

2. Yes.

3. I still like the current ones, but I don't consider them great. It's hard to think of that one.

4. Too many to choose.

I haven't bought any of the DVDs. I probably should, though.

Last great episode. I don't know, really. Probably the last one episode I'd classify as a classic was the spring break episode in Florida when they kill the gator. Oh, and the one where Apu and Manjula get into the fight about Apu working all the time and Apu does all that shit to get her back. Not the one with the Squishee Lady, the one with Elton John.

I have too many favorites to mention, but my top three personal favorites are "And Maggie Makes Three" (the one where Homer and Marge tell the events surround Maggie's birth, "Do it for her"), "Mother Simpson" (the first appearance of Homer's mother, probably the most emotional episode), and "A Fish Called Selma" (the story of Selma marrying Troy McClure, best known for being the episode with the Planet of the Apes musical).

Troy McClure: One day my lady Selma's gonna have a star right next to mine, so

watch out... Laszlo Panaflex!

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

1. Bought it this evening and already banged out two episodes

2. Yes

3. Good question. Tomacco maybe?

4. Very hard to narrow down to one. So here are my top five, in no particular order:

Last Exit to Springfield

Homer at the Bat

Deep Space Homer

A Street Car Named Marge

A Fish Called Selma

1. Any of you going to get Season 8 on DVD?

-Yeah, but probably not until Christmas. Assuming they release 9 for the holidays, I'll get that one as well. I did that with 6 and 7 last Christmas and it was kind of nice being able to watch two seasons in a row like that since the gaps in between new release are about 6-8 months. But if I had the cash, I'd probably get it now.

-Mine did.

-The last? I don't know. Around season 9 or 10 I stopped watching regularly. However, I think one of the biggest problems with the Simpsons lately is that the characters don't seem as rich and real as they once did. The last episode I remember watching where the characters felt real to me was Alone Again, Natura-Diddily, way back in the 11th season when Maude dies. But take that with a grain of salt, because I haven't watched every episode.

-I don't have one episode that I think is the best, but I especially enjoy Homer Loves Flanders, Bart of Darkness, Lisa's Wedding (I really enjoy all of the future episodes), Lemon of Troy, Bart Sells His Soul, Two Bad neighbors, Bart's Comet, Marge vs. the Monorail, and Homer's Enemy.

Which version of the season 8 did everyone get? Did you get the "LIMITED EDITION" Maggie Head or just the regular box? I, personally, made sure to get the Maggie head...

Anyway, just checked, mine has a book, too.

The most recent episode that I really liked was when Bart, Milhouse, Ralph, and Nelson were the boyband.

My ALL-TIME favorite episode is definately, no question, "Behind The Laughter". Friggin' hilarious!

"That's ridiculous, how could I get all 5 necessary drops into her cereal? What?"

"Coming up, was it really over? Yes, it was...or was it?"

"I was so gay, but I couldn't tell anyone"

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Edited by B-Rad

I have three seasons on DVD (don't know which) and I still haven't watched a single episode off them, I just can't find the time to throw them in and enjoy.

Just like playing video games etc, I have loads of free time, just don't use it on things like games, dvd's etc and use it on things with an equal amount of nothing (sitting on the pc, watching whatever is on TV and whatnot)

Does anybody else really hate the first few seasons of the simpsons?

I don't think it was until about season 5 that I loved every episode of the Simpsons. The earlier seasons just had alot of fluf, if you ask me. I either liked an episode or really hated it with the first few seasons.

I'd say Cape Feare is pretty close to being my favourite Simpsons episode.

I also still really like all of the new Simpsons, though. I'd say the last great episode I saw was The Italian Bob, from Season 17.

Don't HATE the first few seasons, but things didn't start getting really good till season 3 and then really took off and started it's true gratness with season 4 and eps like Kamp Krusty, A Streetcar Named Marge, Homer the Heretic, Mr. Plow, Marge vs. the Monorail, Selma's Choice, I Love Lisa...Just an all around awesome season and kept going from there into season 5, another season of pure greatness

The one where Homer reads the stories to the children is the best.

"I captured a wee girl! I'm the greatest hero in English history!"

"You are charged with treason, heresy, and that man tells me you pushed him." *man in question shakes fist at her*

Does anybody else really hate the first few seasons of the simpsons?

I don't think it was until about season 5 that I loved every episode of the Simpsons. The earlier seasons just had alot of fluf, if you ask me. I either liked an episode or really hated it with the first few seasons.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The Simpsons from seasons 2-5 was, IMO, possibly the single best written TV show of all time. That "fluff" you dismissed was the heart that's missing from the show today, and takes a show from being a bunch of jokes to being a great piece of art. Of course, I think I'm in the minority these days; otherwise, I doubt Family Guy would have been brought back. But when you think about Futurama, for instance, and some of the stellar, most beloved episodes ("Luck of the Fryrish," "The Sting," "Jurassic Bark") you can see that there's still an appreciation for shows with heart.

As for The Simpsons, the heart was zapped around season 6-7, when Homer forgot he used to be a loving father and caring husband (albeit an oafish one with many poor qualities), and became a proto-Peter Griffin. Through season 8 the writing was still sharp, but season 9 represented a decent drop-off. Since then, it's been getting progressively worse and worse, lazier and lazier. NO show should have five clip shows, I don't care if it lasts 1000 years. And it seems as though every once in a while, the writers will give the audience a little wink as if to say "Yup, we've been around forever. We may not be as great as we once were, but by acknowledging it, we make that okay."- just check the end credits for "Behind the Laughter."

Characters who once served as brilliant examples of satire have been destroyed for the sake of cheap jokes . Take Skinner, who was the archetypal disciplinarian (with even his name being a reference to that). The Armand Tamzarian episode (which wasn't that funny any way you slice it) rewrote his past, and then retconned it at the end- all to provide a mediocre 22 minutes. The same is being done with Ned Flanders, though more gradually. When the show started, Flanders and his family were perfect. That was it, no real puzzle. They only served to show how dysfunctional The Simpsons were, and more importantly, to show what a jerk Homer was for hating him. These days, Ned has turned up the bible thumping to the point where he's a tool for the writers to get their own political jokes across ("I finished first in the race for the cure... for homosexuality!").

The show has become cheap joke after cheap joke, like Family Guy. To be honest, I don't think it's horrible, nor do I think FG is horrible. I just think that they're both really, really unmemorable, which is sad considering what The Simpsons used to be.

Edited by Boulder