The Simpsons

Lord Nibbler

Why didnt Michael Jackson credit himself as Michael Jackson? That episode was on today and it says John Jay Smith. I know Dustin Hoffman had a weird credit too. Why would they do that?

As I recall from an episode of Inside the Actor's Studio with the whole Simpsons gang, Jackson did very little of the actual voicing for his cameo. He brought in someone to do all of the singing and some of the talking as well, so it's likely that the actor (John Jay Smith, as it were) was the one credited.

Edited by caucasianheat

Back when he did the show, it wasn't as highly praised as it is now, it wasn't mainstream. So some stars didn't want to be associated with it. Hence the psuedonyms.

As for him singing, the commentary on the Simpsons Season DVD, they claimed that he sung them, but they had a sound-a-like come in and sing too, but sort of hinted that the sound engineer used Michael's actual voice and not the sound-a-like.

Jackson wrote "Lisa, It's Your Birthday", but an impersonator called Kipp Lennon (who also did "Flaming Moe's," "The Sound of Grandpa" and "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" in other episodes) sang it. He also wrote the music to "Do The Bartman. John Jay Smith is just a pseudonym.

• 2 months later...

I got the Series One DVD for Xmas and watched the first few episodes and Waylon Smithers was black and had blue hair, in the 3rd episode I think, he changed to what he is today, yelow and greyish hair.

Why was he originally black and have weird coloured hair? Does anoyne know?

Guest The Real Deal

I read somewhere that it was because he was going to be portrayed as a black gay guy. And as the only black guy in the series and he was gay they would get complaints.

Well I was told by someone online but I don't believe that at all.