The January Transfer Window - 2016

Lineker

Toss up between Afonso Alves to Middlesborough or Chris Samba to QPR. Both signed for about 12-15 million to help save relegation threatened teams, both absolutely terrible. Alves sums up the risk of signing of Eredivisie strikers more than anyone. This was a guy who had 45 goals in 39 games, for a team that wasn't one of the Big 3 in Holland, and he looked incredible, beating scoring records of guys like Ronaldo, Romario, Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Only Suarez has scored more goals in a single season since then. Alves was being talked of in terms of the top top strikers at the time. He scored 7 in a single match, he came second in the European Golden Ball competition behind Totti. And for whatever reason, he didn't work out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Bored at workReading the Guardian this morning and trying to think of terrible January signings. Can anybody top Savio Nsereko?

Just go work for LadBible. :facepalm:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mad Jack Frost said:

Toss up between Afonso Alves to Middlesborough or Chris Samba to QPR. Both signed for about 12-15 million to help save relegation threatened teams, both absolutely terrible. Alves sums up the risk of signing of Eredivisie strikers more than anyone. This was a guy who had 45 goals in 39 games, for a team that wasn't one of the Big 3 in Holland, and he looked incredible, beating scoring records of guys like Ronaldo, Romario, Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Only Suarez has scored more goals in a single season since then. Alves was being talked of in terms of the top top strikers at the time. He scored 7 in a single match, he came second in the European Golden Ball competition behind Totti. And for whatever reason, he didn't work out.

I thought he was a summer signing? Either way at the time it was either Sunderland or Middlesbrough were going to get him and we'd just been promoted, thank god he went there instead. Mitroglu was a bad one for Fulham, had a great record for Olympiakos in the League and Europe and got injured early on or already came injured or something.

Edited by FrostyPickle_3:16

Alves joined in January. He no showed a series of training sessions to force a move. It seems that despite his ability he never really had the right mentality. There were a few stories where he apparently said that his Brazil teammates laughed at him for playing for a 'small' club like Heerenveen.

• Admin

Aston Villa are in talks to sign Bordeaux's Lamine Sane on loan until the end of the season, according to Sky sources.

Sky sources understand a deal to bring Jonathan de Guzman back to Swansea is moving closer. The Dutchman is currently at Napoli, recovering from minor groin surgery.

Felipe Anderson will not be joining Manchester United this month.

4 hours ago, Noah said:

Whenever I click on the Google icon on my phone, just below the search bar is random articles the Google Gods have decided I would be interested in. There was one article I decided to read(already forgotten the website it was from) and it was trying to suggest that Wayne Rooney's form in the Newcastle game, means it's not all bad news for Man United fans. The genius I quoted was some random commenter on that article.

I see. Me calling Howard 'past-it' thankfully inspired him to a pretty good performance last night at City, so I'll have to criticise him more often!

• Like 1

We have signed an outfield player. :o

I've been reading quite a bit about Elneny over the past few weeks, and he sounds like quite a decent player. Similar work rate to Coquelin, strong in the tackle as well as being tidy on the ball. I'm optimistic he'll improve our midfield options. 

Basically he cannot possibly be anything but better than Mathieu Flamini.

Had a cracker against Northampton in the cup (which hilariously won him Player of the Month, our standards are low), then just got odd minutes here and there. Sadly a vocal portion of our crowd are on him and his confidence is shot, though McLaren barely giving him a kick (see also de Jong, Siem) hasn't helped.

Really hard to tell if he's decent or not, he's shown some quality and has had no time at all to bed in.

I've seen that it could be Pelle on his way out instead, back to Italy. Regardless, great business for Southampton!

I've seen us linked with Inaki Williams from Bilbao, potentially up to 15 million. Love his pace, love him in FIFA; sign him up Klopp!

Edited by Szumi