Better Call Saul

Sousa

22 minutes ago, Benji said:

So erm... How long is this mid season break?

The series is coming back on July 11th. 

Why did they break the season in two parts anyway? Simply because that is what they also did for the final season of Breaking Bad? At least the break is significantly shorter than the one between parts 1 and 2 of the final season of Breaking Bad where we had to wait almost an entire year. 

Loved everything about that mid season finale. Their commitment to the slow burn makes every single pay-off so satisfying, without it ever feeling like Breaking Bad, which was admittedly one of my worries as the show began to approach its end during the previous season. 

I love it so much that it's making me want to go into a Breaking Bad re-watch as soon as I've finished just to have more time in the world and I'm usually awful at re-watching anything because there's always something new to watch. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Loved everything about that mid season finale. Their commitment to the slow burn makes every single pay-off so satisfying, without it ever feeling like Breaking Bad, which was admittedly one of my worries as the show began to approach its end during the previous season. 

I love it so much that it's making me want to go into a Breaking Bad re-watch as soon as I've finished just to have more time in the world and I'm usually awful at re-watching anything because there's always something new to watch. 

This is exactly what I'm doing once Better Call Saul is over. I think it'll be my... 3rd? re-watch of Breaking Bad. Kind of curious to revisit El Camino immediately after the BB finale, too.

16 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Reveal hidden contents

Did you see that..

Spoiler

Bob Odenkirk posted a photo of Patrick Fabian months and months ago on Twitter, wishing him a happy birthday, and Fabian had blood in his hair?

• Haha 1

I didn't catch a recap of the show before this series started so I'm a bit in the dark here:

Spoiler

Like Howard, I'm also confused why Jimmy and Kim are going on this vendetta against him. Can someone remind me? I know Jimmy and his brother had that major fallout but I don't recall Howard ever doing anything all that awful to either of them.

20 hours ago, Kaney said:

I didn't catch a recap of the show before this series started so I'm a bit in the dark here:

Hide contents

Like Howard, I'm also confused why Jimmy and Kim are going on this vendetta against him. Can someone remind me? I know Jimmy and his brother had that major fallout but I don't recall Howard ever doing anything all that awful to either of them.

Spoiler

https://youtu.be/cZE4mnuwoNs

This is a pretty good look at why Howard. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Spoiler

I didn't think they'd get rid of Lalo this early, but I liked how it all panned out. That was a gripping hour of television.

Presumably, the last few episodes will focus on Kim's downfall. I'm guessing the trauma she endured in this episode will cause her to slip up somehow.

This show really adds to the impact of Walter White as well. Characters like Gus and Mike, who were able to overcome and survive intense gang warfare, ultimately met their ends by associating themselves with Walt.

• Like 1

Spoiler

And just like that, Jimmy's transformation to Saul is finally done, the prequel portion of the show is over and we're officially back in the "present" day (present as in 2008 when BB starts).

I also find it funny that after years of wild fan speculation and outlandish theories about why Kim doesn't show up in BB, they went with the most mundane but also also the most obvious scenario of them simply not being together anymore.

Also what was that scene in the end with the lights going on in the department store and the voice-over of him direction a commercial? I guess since this scene is shot in black-and-white. it probably signifies that we are back in the actual present when "Gene" decided to do something about the dude that recognized him. But what was that voice-over about?

Edited by Hellraiser

43 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:
  Hide contents

And just like that, Jimmy's transformation to Saul is finally done, the prequel portion of the show is over and we're officially back in the "present" day (present as in 2008 when BB starts).

I also find it funny that after years of wild fan speculation and outlandish theories about why Kim doesn't show up in BB, they went with the most mundane but also also the most obvious scenario of them simply not being together anymore.

Also what was that scene in the end with the lights going on in the department store and the voice-over of him direction a commercial? I guess since this scene is shot in black-and-white. it probably signifies that we are back in the actual present when "Gene" decided to do something about the dude that recognized him. But what was that voice-over about?

Spoiler

I read that Saul's number plate suggested that the flash-forward actually goes to 2005, which would mean that there's still a gap between then and Breaking Bad.

As for Kim, I think the performances of the actors in the farewell scene really sold its significance. While most of us were anticipating some sort of explosive breaking point, perhaps a lower-key version of Ozymandias in Breaking Bad, the clear devastation felt by both characters had a subtler impact that served its purpose well.

It also demonstrated how, although they genuinely loved each other, Jimmy and Kim still have different moral standards. Kim, knowing how destructive her partnership with Jimmy was, chose to walk away because she wanted to avoid causing further harm. Jimmy, on the other hand, ends up descending further into the chaotic world of sleaze and crime.

This episode made me think back to the first scene of the whole series, in which "Gene" digs out an old Saul Goodman advert and cries. The obvious conclusion to make was that he was lamenting his downfall and that he wished he could be the wild, risk-taking maverick once more, instead of hunkering down in a banal existence.

Now, though, I'm more inclined to believe that his tears were indicative of his lamenting of the point in his life when his last source of purpose outside work was extinguished. He didn't like being the superficial man who kicked prostitutes out of bed in the morning before shouting at his PA and spending all day liaising with petty criminals. He just no longer had anything else to latch onto.

• Like 4