Random Music Thoughts

Benji

I really really hate how all music apps don't seem to have a true shuffle and instead use their stupid algorithm to decide what to play. Are you honestly telling me that with 10000+ songs in my library that your random shuffle comes up with the same songs every other time I use it? Fuck off. Let me explore my fucking library at actual random. I really miss the old days of my little iPod with a scrollwheel where the closest thing to algorithm on my playlists was my own selected Smart playlists.

• Like 1

randomly thinking to myself, y'know, Harry Chapin was really good. Most people (probably) just know him from "Cats In The Cradle". But he also did a huge amount of philanthropic work particularly in around food poverty (in fact, he died in a car accident going to a perform at a free benefit show).

I had a copy of one of a live album of his once and it was really fun. He and his band just seemed to have a good time on stage together too.

On 15/07/2022 at 16:47, Benji said:

I really really hate how all music apps don't seem to have a true shuffle and instead use their stupid algorithm to decide what to play. Are you honestly telling me that with 10000+ songs in my library that your random shuffle comes up with the same songs every other time I use it? Fuck off. Let me explore my fucking library at actual random. I really miss the old days of my little iPod with a scrollwheel where the closest thing to algorithm on my playlists was my own selected Smart playlists.

https://www.businessinsider.com/spotify-made-shuffle-feature-less-random-to-actually-feel-random-2020-3?amp

• Like 2

My son has realised I don't like Ed Sheeran and is pranking me by adding his song to some of my playlists. Questionable humor aside, if someone wanted to troll you by adding a terrible artists to all your playlists, who would it be? 

58 minutes ago, RPS said:

My son has realised I don't like Ed Sheeran and is pranking me by adding his song to some of my playlists. Questionable humor aside, if someone wanted to troll you by adding a terrible artists to all your playlists, who would it be? 

I think most people I know would pick Radiohead because I go on about hating them quite a lot. They’re by no means my least favourite but lots of people so like them and think that makes them cool so I exaggerate my hatred to be a troll.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Benji said:

Discovered that Bright Eyes' "Devil Town" is actually a cover and have now discovered a love of Daniel Johnston.

I had someone close in my life who went through a very depressed phase and they listened to Daniel Johnston and it has tainted his catalogue for me, but he was an astounding songwriter. 

• Like 1

Yea, i had a friend who is no longer with us that really liked Daniel Johnston. He's a very interesting song writer, very DIY. I would recommend R. Stevie Moore as well, he's a big influence for me as he plays all his own instruments and has been producing his own stuff since the mid-70s. His catalog os daunting because he has thousands of songs over 40 years, best to just collect whatever compilations of him you can. He and Johnston recorded an album together.

I don't know if this is the appropriate thread, but Judith Durham of The Seekers has died at the age of 79. They were my mother's favourite band. I don't think they were ever all that big outside Australia and the UK, but she was a fantastic singer, even in her seventies.

• 3 weeks later...

Nirvana are really great. Their trilogy of albums are perfect. A raw and unhinged album in Bleach. Nevermind is a perfect rock album that also became a perfect pop album. And In Utero sees them marrying the two - near pristine production but outright hideous and compelling song writing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RPS said:

Nirvana are really great. Their trilogy of albums are perfect. A raw and unhinged album in Bleach. Nevermind is a perfect rock album that also became a perfect pop album. And In Utero sees them marrying the two - near pristine production but outright hideous and compelling song writing. 

Yes. 

I also don't think people realize that Kurt had a hand in getting some lesser known bands some notoriety such as the Vaselines or Meat Puppets. I always liked that.

But yea. Nirvana was a great band, probably not a big surprise that I'd call Bleach my favorite but I like everything else they did. I mean people can critique Kurt as not being a great guitar player or whatever (not true...he was great) but dude literally influenced an entire generation to pick up a guitar. Pretty reminiscent of the Ramones actually, he gave you the feeling you could pick up and play but didn't need a fucking expensive ass Les Paul to get some really gritty riffs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RPS said:

Not to mention the greatest "live" album of all time with Unplugged.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Benji said:

Not to mention the greatest "live" album of all time with Unplugged.

I used to be in that camp but in my older age I now associate it far more with tragedy than greatness. It's extraordinary but in a way I want to keep my distance these days. 

• Like 1