Random Music Thoughts

Benji

7 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Not sure I like that. With a world where everything is changing so fast, I thought the only thing I had left to cling to was a Download Festival headlined by Slipknot, Def Leppard and Anthrax.

You philistine.

Anthrax have never headlined.

15 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Looking at the leaked Download Festival announcement has really driven home how little I know about that particular scene these days. Plenty of people are raving about bands I've never heard of. I really should try to listen to more new music.

It's the best line up in years and I'm gutted I can't go. Happy to make some recommendations if I know any of the ones you don't.

10 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Not sure I like that. With a world where everything is changing so fast, I thought the only thing I had left to cling to was a Download Festival headlined by Slipknot, Def Leppard and Anthrax.

Well, it's not all bad. Slipknot are headlining.

3 minutes ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

It's the best line up in years and I'm gutted I can't go. Happy to make some recommendations if I know any of the ones you don't.

Any recommendations on the more melodic side? I'm not into punk or ska, but maybe things of the Stone Sour sort of ilk.

I'm not taking Bring Me The Horizon slander, theyre recent stuff (basically anything 2016 on) is fantastic.

Ghost are fantastic and I'd argue should have held off and headlined next year; Kaisairion, Spillways, and Square Hammer are all great.

Within Temptation are a very good but one I don't listen to that frequently, Sinead was always my favourite track of theirs. Get compared to Evanescence a lot.

Caskets are a new one I like the look of, Glass Heart is probably the highlight off their debut album Lost Souls.

Motionless in White might be closer to the screaming end of the spectrum but I really like Brand New Numb and <c0de> outside of the terrible stylisation.

Alter Bridge did Edge's theme so should be familiar enough for that if nothing else.

Nova Twins' debut album "Who Are The Girls?" was very good.

I know Empire State Bastard are a new side project from Biffy Clyro's Simon Neil, but they aren't on Spotify so I can't tell you any more about them :P he has an eclectic catalogue across his various projects.

The Hu are an interesting one if you want something different, they're from Mongolia and bring a different flavour to their music.

Speaking of different, Elvana are a Nirvana cover band fronted by a guy pretending to be Elvis, I've seen them live and it's exactly what you think but people apparently love it.

If you don't already Pendulum, they're more electronic and Propane Nightmares, Watercolour, and Witchcraft should give you a decent taste.

Three Days Grace peaked years ago with Animal I Have Become and Riot (deep cuts for the Smackdown vs Raw crowd there) but I don't know what they sound like now.

Disturbed have been around for years and honestly should just be a covers band because I prefer their covers to everything else they've done.

You said no to punk but pop punk wise I can't say enough good things about Neck Deep, Stand Atlantic, Set It Off, The Blackout, Mod Sun, Simple Plan, and Bob Vylan.

• Like 1

I know of a few of them, but I haven't listened to some of them. BMTH is an interesting one because I've come across fans who only like their old stuff and those who mostly like their more recent output.

I think I've found with rock and metal music released over the last decade is that there's often too much going on in the tracks. I understand that it's often mixed differently now in a way that makes the instruments seem to merge together more messily. It's a stylistic choice that's popular with many, but I prefer the ability to hear everything properly.

Bob Vylan are very much not pop punk but are fucking tremendous punkers. The Bronx also kick arse and mayyyy do a secret Mariachi El Bronx set.

They could easily cut it down to two days with two great line-ups, but oh well. Sunday looks especially weak as fuck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/117j8gd/bandom_the_abridged_history_of_panic_at_the_disco

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/117x19l/bandom_panic_at_the_disco_or_when_your_ship_of

Never been the biggest fan of Panic, I like them, but they're far from a favourite, but this pair of posts in hobby drama are a good read if anyone cares enough to read them.

Think the biggest whiplash on songs I ever had was listening to Hot Action Cop.

They had this song, which is basically about doing drugs and fucking care free

But then the next song on the album was this...talking about the dangers of sex and drugs...

On 22/02/2023 at 19:56, Shouting Box said:

Rammstein's latest album had a similar whiplash

From fear of your fellow man

To a song about boobs

How dare you not post the official video.

Also, I have a new favourite band and can't wait to see them live. They just toured in the UK (with GWAR). All the lads in the band are Maori, so it's pretty awesome seeing Maori history in modern metal, with Maori lyrics by Maori musicians. This is back when New Zealand had a lot of wars between their own people, and how European influence affected and escalated things. Sometimes rival iwi/tribes would eat their fallen enemies to absorb their mana so the title "Kai Tangata" literally means "food" and "people". I came across this while randomly channel-flipping which just adds to my love for the band and this song in particular.

He taua, He taua! - (A war party, a war party!)

Waewae tapu takahi te ara taua - (Footsteps pound the sacred warpath)
Ka hopungia e maha nga upoko - (Many heads are sought)
Ka hopungia e maha taurekareka - (Many slaves are sought)
E mahi nga mahi a Tūmatauenga - (This is the work of Tūmatauenga)

Anei rā - (Behold)
Te uhi o Mataora - (The chisel of Mataora)
Pai tuarā - (The strong back)
Te kokongapere - (The base of the spine)
Nga rape - (The buttock spirals)
Te kitemaimairu - (The thigh)
Tatua taua - (The war belt)
Nga tā moko puhoro - (The tattooed bodies of warriors)
Anei nga tohu a Tūmatauenga - (These are the omens of war)

He pakanga nunui mo te whakautu - (A mighty battle to avenge us)
Tae mai nga tūpuna mo te whakaāwhina - (Our ancestors gather to assist us)
Kia mau nga Tohunga mo te whakakarakia - (Our priests prepare the incantations)

Anei rā - (Behold)

A Tūmatauenga x4 - (Of Tūmatauenga)
Mahi nga mahi a Tūmatauenga x4 - (This is the work of Tūmatauenga)

Whakatangi o nga pū, whakapatu nga taiaha - (The cry of guns, the blows of the taiaha)
Te kikokiko rekareka ō aku hoariri - (The sweet flesh of our enemies)
Nga umu whakakīa tātau kōpū ki te utu - (The ovens fill our bellies with revenge)

Anei rā - (Behold)

Waewae tapu takahi te ara taua - (Footsteps pound the sacred warpath) x4

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Kraig said:

How dare you not post the official video.

Also, I have a new favourite band and can't wait to see them live. They just toured in the UK (with GWAR). All the lads in the band are Maori, so it's pretty awesome seeing Maori history in modern metal, with Maori lyrics by Maori musicians. This is back when New Zealand had a lot of wars between their own people, and how European influence affected and escalated things. Sometimes rival iwi/tribes would eat their fallen enemies to absorb their mana so the title "Kai Tangata" literally means "food" and "people". I came across this while randomly channel-flipping which just adds to my love for the band and this song in particular.

He taua, He taua! - (A war party, a war party!)

Waewae tapu takahi te ara taua - (Footsteps pound the sacred warpath)
Ka hopungia e maha nga upoko - (Many heads are sought)
Ka hopungia e maha taurekareka - (Many slaves are sought)

Anei rā - (Behold)

He pakanga nunui mo te whakautu - (A mighty battle to avenge us)
Tae mai nga tūpuna mo te whakaāwhina - (Our ancestors gather to assist us)
Kia mau nga Tohunga mo te whakakarakia - (Our priests prepare the incantations)

Anei rā - (Behold)

A Tūmatauenga x4 - (Of Tūmatauenga)
Mahi nga mahi a Tūmatauenga x4 - (This is the work of Tūmatauenga)

Whakatangi o nga pū, whakapatu nga taiaha - (The cry of guns, the blows of the taiaha)
Te kikokiko rekareka ō aku hoariri - (The sweet flesh of our enemies)
Nga umu whakakīa tātau kōpū ki te utu - (The ovens fill our bellies with revenge)

Anei rā - (Behold)

Waewae tapu takahi te ara taua - (Footsteps pound the sacred warpath) x4

My friends and I made themed playlists for each other during the pandemic, and I made one of antipodean bands, new Zealand and Australia, which included these guys

• Like 1

De La Soul's 3 Feet and Rising is streaming now. Go forth and listen my friends. In my opinion, the best album of the 80s and one of the most influential hip hop albums. At times, it feels less like an album at times and more like 3 friends shooting the shit and goofing around for an hour. Even at their most serious and profound, you can still each of them has the biggest grin on their face. 

• Like 3

On International Women's Day, I decided to go through Fiona Apple's discography and I have come to the conclusion that she is probably my favorite artist of all time. The song writing is unparalleled. Her song writing is familiar and approachable, but also complicated and challenging. There are lots of different songs writing, but I think one lens to view it from is transparent vs. opaque. Is the subject matter obvious and understandable (transparent) as opposed to something more abstract or difficult for the audience to understand literal meaning (opaque). Fiona straddles this line so beautifully.  You have a deep understanding ove4 pwhat she is singing about, but there is a distance between you and the subject. You can project yourself and your feelings onto certain aspect of songs or entire songs. But there are parts that are so intensly personal to Fiona that would be impossible to see yourself in the songs. 

• Like 3

I was listening to the radio this morning. Complicated by Avril Lavigne came on. What a terrible pop song. It may be the worst pop song ever recorded.

Firstly, the production of the song is awful. Her voice is borderline unlistenable at times. She is not a talented vocalist. Nothing has been attempted to be mixed in a way to make the song interesting. Secondly, the song is so busy. There are so many disjointed elements. It's messy in the worst way because nothing is individually interesting and together it's just a slog. 

Thirdly, the song writing is drivel. There us no specificity to the song. Life is like THIS... that's the way IT IS... why did you have to make THINGS so complicated. What is life actually like? What is complicated? What is the way things are? 

Finally, it's kind of astounding in retrospect that Avril took off because as a pop star, she stood for nothing. She wore pop punk like outfits and carried a skateboard, but so little of her music even references this outside of Sk8ter Boi, which only in name touches upon anything reflecting punk music. I lived through this time period and I'm still perplexed at how anyone felt inspired by her music. 

This was my essay on Avril Lavigne. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, RPS said:

I was listening to the radio this morning. Complicated by Avril Lavigne came on. What a terrible pop song. It may be the worst pop song ever recorded.

Firstly, the production of the song is awful. Her voice is borderline unlistenable at times. She is not a talented vocalist. Nothing has been attempted to be mixed in a way to make the song interesting. Secondly, the song is so busy. There are so many disjointed elements. It's messy in the worst way because nothing is individually interesting and together it's just a slog. 

Thirdly, the song writing is drivel. There us no specificity to the song. Life is like THIS... that's the way IT IS... why did you have to make THINGS so complicated. What is life actually like? What is complicated? What is the way things are? 

Finally, it's kind of astounding in retrospect that Avril took off because as a pop star, she stood for nothing. She wore pop punk like outfits and carried a skateboard, but so little of her music even references this outside of Sk8ter Boi, which only in name touches upon anything reflecting punk music. I lived through this time period and I'm still perplexed at how anyone felt inspired by her music. 

This was my essay on Avril Lavigne. 

One of the radio stations here has a program director who seems to think Complicated is the only song Avril Lavigne ever did. Seriously, I've never heard them play anything else except Sk8er Boi, but 9 times out of 10, its Complicated that gets played. (Same station plays Irreplaceable a shit ton when they play Beyonce....)

And I'm With You and agree its an awful song. 

(See what I did there?)

13 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

One of the radio stations here has a program director who seems to think Complicated is the only song Avril Lavigne ever did. Seriously, I've never heard them play anything else except Sk8er Boi, but 9 times out of 10, its Complicated that gets played. (Same station plays Irreplaceable a shit ton when they play Beyonce....)

And I'm With You and agree its an awful song. 

(See what I did there?)

This is me but with John Mellencamp and either Pink Houses or Jack & Diane