Random Music Thoughts

Benji

2 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Ah. Well, have to admit that I'm more familiar with Rufus' music than his father or sister's. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever heard anything by Martha other than the song Wolves that she did with Rufus.

Not a fan of any of the Wainwrights but I do love Rufus.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, METALMAN said:

Not a fan of any of the Wainwrights but I do love Rufus.

Is this Rufus also a Tit man?

Don't want to crowd this forum up even more (unfortunately) with another thread, but Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode has passed away at 60. Incredibly sad for many reasons, as losing a founding member of one the greatest musical acts of all time would naturally be. Oft the "other" member of Depeche Mode he really struck me as the glue of sorts, letting the visions of Gore, Gahan, and (while he was in the group) Wilder come to fruition. I also have read he handled the business side of the band, which is all-important in a band that stays together for 40 years.

60 is of course no age, but we'll always have the many, many great songs he helped bring to life.

To be a little bleak about it, there were plenty of times when you'd never have guessed that Fletch would be the first one to go. He was basically the glue holding that band together at points, particularly when Gore and Gahan were far gone in drink and drugs.

5 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

God damn are the Stranglers fucking good. They are fucking beautiful. 

I checked them in a couple months ago. All I know is their tour manager is a bit of an ass.

The Stranglers are one of the very best "ok so this song that sounds totally different is ALSO by that band?" acts in music. But I recall when checking out their catalog that it all seems to follow a logical progression in terms of style evolution.

The UK punk scene had a lot of that but I'd argue The Stranglers, owing to their longevity, really went places with their music.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, METALMAN said:

When I worked at HMV a customer asked me if we had any records by Cliff Richard and the Stranglers.

What did you say? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2022 at 23:53, damhausen said:

The Stranglers are one of the very best "ok so this song that sounds totally different is ALSO by that band?" acts in music. But I recall when checking out their catalog that it all seems to follow a logical progression in terms of style evolution.

The UK punk scene had a lot of that but I'd argue The Stranglers, owing to their longevity, really went places with their music.

My dad - who isn't particularly into punk in the first place - will bring up with alarming regularity that The Stranglers weren't a punk band, but just a pub rock/blues band made up of jobbing musicians, who had already been gigging for years and jumped on a bandwagon. I think he actually quite likes them, so I'm not sure why this is such a sore point for him.

In terms of @Hobo being surprised they're still going, it's only JJ left from the original line-up, everyone else currently in the band joined within the last few years.

So I heard this song on the Hulu show "Shoresy" (which is pretty great by the way). 

I love it, it's so fucking fun and upbeat. What a dance tune. 

Anybody got any good recommendations for stuff similar to this in the Disco/Funk realm?

Edit - Just came across this one, but this is a good tune as well. 

6 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

So I heard this song on the Hulu show "Shoresy" (which is pretty great by the way). 

I love it, it's so fucking fun and upbeat. What a dance tune. 

Anybody got any good recommendations for stuff similar to this in the Disco/Funk realm?

Edit - Just came across this one, but this is a good tune as well. 

Seeing as you seem to be leaning towards the more poppy/synthy side:

the album Look of Love by ABC

the album Penthouse and Pavement by Heaven 17

KC and the Sunshine Band, Kool and the Gang, Chaka Khan

• Like 1